What's new
What's new

OMRON tool eye sticking on SQT15 What to do?

Techguy

Hot Rolled
My lower X sensor on my OMRON tool eye is sticking some. I am guessing coolant because that sensor rarely gets used. The tool eye is less than 2 years old. Is there something I can safely clean it with?

Thanks,
Dan

Dry Chem Electrical Contact Cleaner. Spray libral amount on the outside of the switch and work it in and out. I will dry eventually, but shouldn't stick anymore. Once finished you can wipe a very thin coat of oil on the barrel of the switch and work it a few times. Should be pretty much good as new by this point unless you have very bad contamination, at which point you would need to take it apart to clean.

Husker

The tool eyes I have messed with have rubber boots under the metal sleeves on each tip. Coolant residue gets trapped under the sleeves and gets gummy when the water evaporates. You should be able to safely clean the goo by spraying coolant or soap directly on the probe tip and actuating it a few times. Gently blow out the area and repeat.

I just disassembled a probe a few days ago from a machine I bought used and abused. The Metrol brand tool eye was covered in a green slimy gross mess. I thought there was no Fn way I could save it and almost cut the wire in haste. New probes are not cheap.

I decided to dissect the probe just for shits and giggles to see if I could fix it. I removed it from the machine and washed it in the sink and used a small scraper to clean it and Scotch Brite it before I disassembled the unit. The rubber boots were intact and when I removed them, the switch mechanism under the boots looked brand new. The inside of the probe also looked brand new. I cleaned everything up and put it back together.

I'm glad I did not cut the wires when I removed it because it's now going back in the machine because it works fine. :D

Question, we have a new Omron tool eye that came with on our QT-8. I have read here and in the manuals NOT to push both probes in at once. Will this break something inside? I have not done it live nor powered up but alas may have gotten carried away when the machine first arrived last year and pushed both opposing touch pads in at once. Nothing ever felt like it broke and I used a light touch, but still young and dumb at 50 :scratchchin:

hahaha !! : " I decided to dissect the probe just for shits and giggles to see if I could fix it " Yes, this is a common occurrence here at our shop :)

Question, we have a new Omron tool eye that came with on our QT-8. I have read here and in the manuals NOT to push both probes in at once. Will this break something inside?

Based on my observations of this Metrol probe below, it looks like pushing two buttons in at once runs the risk of pinching and possibly cutting the small trigger wires. I cut the two wires that go to the small LED on the top 'lid' (held on by the 4 screws) to make it easier to clean, so there are two extra wires not seen in the pic. I will re-solder them when I put this back together for good.

Anyway, the world will not come to an end if you push both buttons in gently, but again, you might pinch and cut a wire if you squeeze it too hard.

Here's the pics of my probe after I cleaned it. The rubber boot goes on first, followed by the thin steel ring to secure the boot, followed by the aluminum cover, which is held in place by the stiff C-clip. There was old coolant goo and crusty chunks under all of the aluminum covers. You can see two of the covers are actually corroded away in a few areas. This probe looked like I found it at the bottom of the coolant tank before I started to clean it. One of the carbide buttons was missing as the probe got whacked in the past. That is the boot I ended up tearing when disassembling it.

I am going to desolder the damaged probe wires from the circuit and seal it up with a glob of silicone. I will also re-orient the probe so the damaged tip sits at the 9:00 position, as that station of the probe only gets used maybe 1% of the time or less, so no big deal.

Attachments

• Mazak Tool Probe 1 (Large).JPG
    Mazak Tool Probe 1 (Large).JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 2,374
  • Mazak Tool Probe 2 (Large).JPG
    Mazak Tool Probe 2 (Large).JPG
    72 KB · Views: 718
  • Mazak Tool Probe 3 (Large).JPG
    Mazak Tool Probe 3 (Large).JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 769
  • Mazak Tool Probe 4 (Large).JPG
    Mazak Tool Probe 4 (Large).JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,036
  • Mazak Tool Probe 5 (Large).JPG
    Mazak Tool Probe 5 (Large).JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 1,116
More pics of the wires and guts...

Attachments

• Mazak Tool Probe 6 (Large).JPG
    Mazak Tool Probe 6 (Large).JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,146
  • Mazak Tool Probe 7 (Large).JPG
    Mazak Tool Probe 7 (Large).JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 837
  • Mazak Tool Probe 8 (Large).JPG
    Mazak Tool Probe 8 (Large).JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 854
  • Mazak Tool Probe 9 (Large).JPG
    Mazak Tool Probe 9 (Large).JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 725
  • Mazak Tool Probe 10 (Large).JPG
    Mazak Tool Probe 10 (Large).JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,562
This just happened recently on our QT350. The button in the 12 o'clock postion got stuck in. I eventually had to remove the snap ring and pry up on the ring land with a pair of dykes so the operator could finish the part. No matter how much cleaning and oiling it is very difficult to move it either direction. The one in the 9 o'clock postion is the same way. Other 2 are fine.
Don't really see how it comes apart and am afraid of damaging it further.
D5F-2B34C-Y Omron Automation and Safety | Mouser

Happens to me alot. We always use and electrical cleaner. Spray it on heavily and just try to clean it. Press each side of the probe with your fingers multiple times while blowing air into it and repeat. Works for us. Also a little grease if the arm itself is sticking. Ours has a lot of trouble and we do this religiously.

pretty sure you can only take apart the round base ones on older machines. on the new ones the plastic housing is epoxied together
Yeah, that's exactly how it looks. I foresee the company having to buy a new one and I will be held responsible for the maintenence instead of the operator(s). Like I don't have enough to do. Thanks for the responces.

Back