What's new
What's new

parameter loading

teamjnz

Plastic
Hey Guys,

I have another question about a 1993 H400 with M32 controller. The machine has been sitting for a little while and the batteries died and the parameters were lost. The current owner had the 3.5 floppy disks but may not be able to find the external Mazak floppy drive. If I were able to transfer the floppy disks to a computer would I be able to use the computer to load the parameters? I believe that it should work but I am not sure if the external floppy drive has something the machine wants to see that the computer doesn't have.

Thanks guys!

Hey Guys,

I have another question about a 1993 H400 with M32 controller. The machine has been sitting for a little while and the batteries died and the parameters were lost. The current owner had the 3.5 floppy disks but may not be able to find the external Mazak floppy drive. If I were able to transfer the floppy disks to a computer would I be able to use the computer to load the parameters? I believe that it should work but I am not sure if the external floppy drive has something the machine wants to see that the computer doesn't have.

Thanks guys!

The first question is what M32 control. The early ones (before the M32B's) had a floppy disk on the CNC chassis in the electrical cabinet. These drives turn 360 RPM and have 77 tracks. They are not readable on the normal 300 RPM drives with 80 tracks, that are on the PC. The contents of these disks must be read in the drive on the control as part of the initialize process. They cannot be read in the "Blue Box".

The other floppy disk is the "Blue Box" or CMT format. These are also not readable on a PC because the track spacing is not standard, nor are they readable in the drive of the M32A's.

The last issue is the file format used on either disk type.

Griffo and probably others, that make file transfer software, are able to read a Microdisk (CMT format) in the "Blue Box" then allow the contents to be stored on the computer and be uploaded as needed. Once the control has been initialized and is ready for parameters to be loaded then the transfer can be done.

Due to the complexity of the above, it may make sense to hand enter from a paper copy after initializing the control. Many times, the copy of parameters made by the previous owner don't work because only a partial set was saved, or had been overwritten.

You need to know what vintage the control is because the initialize process has several variations depending on the actual CPU card in the system. Mitsubishi is at 1-847-478-2500 select the option for tech support. They are very helpful.

Get the battery issue resolved first, check out the top dozen active threads in this forum, I posted good info on replacement battery alternatives. Ignore anyone that says batterys must be changed with power on! The M32A has 2 batteries, one in the CNC chassis, the other elsewhere in the electrical cabinet. All other newer than the "A" should only have the one in the CNC chassis. These are all the rechargeable type battery.

Final tidbit: If there is a program lock key switch, it must be in the unlock position to be able to properly complete the process of bringing it back to life. None of the procedures from Mazak or Mitsubishi state this. Most of the newer tech's don't know this problem exists, and don't have a clue why you can't do an all erase when needed. One customer sent the entire CNC chassis back for repair, only to have the same problem still.

This can be quite a task for someone not familiar with Mazak's. There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum. I will be away for a couple of weeks. Pay careful attention to the ones that hit the like for this post. Some have been through this kind of problem before, and offer great advise. Others can be quite misleading.

Bill

The first question is what M32 control. The early ones (before the M32B's) had a floppy disk on the CNC chassis in the electrical cabinet. These drives turn 360 RPM and have 77 tracks. They are not readable on the normal 300 RPM drives with 80 tracks, that are on the PC. The contents of these disks must be read in the drive on the control as part of the initialize process. They cannot be read in the "Blue Box".

The other floppy disk is the "Blue Box" or CMT format. These are also not readable on a PC because the track spacing is not standard, nor are they readable in the drive of the M32A's.

The last issue is the file format used on either disk type.

Griffo and probably others, that make file transfer software, are able to read a Microdisk (CMT format) in the "Blue Box" then allow the contents to be stored on the computer and be uploaded as needed. Once the control has been initialized and is ready for parameters to be loaded then the transfer can be done.

Due to the complexity of the above, it may make sense to hand enter from a paper copy after initializing the control. Many times, the copy of parameters made by the previous owner don't work because only a partial set was saved, or had been overwritten.

You need to know what vintage the control is because the initialize process has several variations depending on the actual CPU card in the system. Mitsubishi is at 1-847-478-2500 select the option for tech support. They are very helpful.

Get the battery issue resolved first, check out the top dozen active threads in this forum, I posted good info on replacement battery alternatives. Ignore anyone that says batterys must be changed with power on! The M32A has 2 batteries, one in the CNC chassis, the other elsewhere in the electrical cabinet. All other newer than the "A" should only have the one in the CNC chassis. These are all the rechargeable type battery.

Final tidbit: If there is a program lock key switch, it must be in the unlock position to be able to properly complete the process of bringing it back to life. None of the procedures from Mazak or Mitsubishi state this. Most of the newer tech's don't know this problem exists, and don't have a clue why you can't do an all erase when needed. One customer sent the entire CNC chassis back for repair, only to have the same problem still.

This can be quite a task for someone not familiar with Mazak's. There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum. I will be away for a couple of weeks. Pay careful attention to the ones that hit the like for this post. Some have been through this kind of problem before, and offer great advise. Others can be quite misleading.

Bill

Thank you Bill! There is a lot of information here that I was not aware of. I am planning on going to see the machine today and will be looking at the machine. I am not sure how to find out if the controller is a M32a or M32b. I will take picture of things and hopefully I can get some answers so that I know of the direction I need to go. It sounds like it may be a M32a control since the current owner made his own battery pack so he wouldn't have to buy the OEM battery, but I will double check for a battery in the chassis and elsewhere.

Tom

It is definitely a M32a control. It has a floppy drive on the chassis and batteries underneath the floppy drive. I also saw a floppy disk that has M32a on it. Please notice that this picture is an OEM floppy. It make me believe that this is a normal P.C. readable disk. Look at the metal protection slide on this disk. I stand to be corrected but it doesn't look any differnt than other "normal" floppies. Are the looks deceiving? It says high density and is double sided, MDF-2HD. Can this disk be read in a normal PC floppy drive? I have not tried since I don't have a computer with a floppy disk drive.

Thanks again

Attachments

• IMG_20160610_144603633_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160610_144603633_HDR.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 900
Due to the complexity of the above, it may make sense to hand enter from a paper copy after initializing the control.

One thing many people do not know is entering the parameters into a Mazak of this vintage is dead simple.
The parameters in these Mazaks are nothing like the complexity or length in even an old Fanuc control. My slightly older T-3 control has only 3 pages of parameters, which can be keyed in within about 20 minutes really taking my time.

I'm not sure how many parameter pages are in the T32, but you would still be time ahead to just punch them in vs trying to fiddle fart around with the old floppy disks.

It is definitely a M32a control. It has a floppy drive on the chassis and batteries underneath the floppy drive. I also saw a floppy disk that has M32a on it. Please notice that this picture is an OEM floppy. It make me believe that this is a normal P.C. readable disk. Look at the metal protection slide on this disk. I stand to be corrected but it doesn't look any differnt than other "normal" floppies. Are the looks deceiving? It says high density and is double sided, MDF-2HD. Can this disk be read in a normal PC floppy drive? I have not tried since I don't have a computer with a floppy disk drive.

Thanks again

Please notice that this picture is an OEM floppy. Yes it is, you should have 1 or 2 others.
That is the option disk to be loaded during the initialize process.
You WILL need the system disk, and the one shown as the minimum to bring it back to life.

Are the looks deceiving? Yes they are.

It says high density and is double sided, MDF-2HD. Can this disk be read in a normal PC floppy drive? It could until it was made into the OEM disk, and now it will only work for the intended purpose.

Messing with these in a PC floppy drive is only going to cause problems, since windows will try to format them for you.

You will spend $300-500 to replace EACH disk you loose or damage by letting windows format it for you and make it a PC floppy again and destroy the OEM info on it in the process.

Can this disk be read in a normal PC floppy drive? Not now, you need special software running on an old DOS computer with a special drive that turns 360 RPM attached. Then all you can do is copy it.

Go back to my other post for Mitsubishi's contact info.

Will check back next week.
Bill

Hello

We have a Mazak YMS-30 machining center with the following problems.

- There is no signal to the screen, it is on but black.
- Some alarm LEDs are registered in the numerical control module and in the MC221A board of the Mazatrol M-32 panel
- I detail states of leds:

MC712:
- LED 1: Off
- LED 2: Off
- LED 3: Blinking
MC161-1
- LED1: On
- LED2: On
- LED3: On
- WDOG: Off
- D.AL: On
- D.WD: On
MC126
- LED1: On
- LED2: On
- WDOG: On
MC446
- LED1: Off
- LED2: Off
- LED4: there is no
- LED5: Off
MC221
- RD: On
- SD: Off
- MON: Blink

The procedure to reinitialize the Ram has already been tried, but without obtaining results.
The LED 3 of the MC446 card is still on, according to the manual it is due to the battery failure, the 3.6V and 6V battery has been changed with new ones, but the status of the LED does not change, it still indicates an error.
How can I verify if the MC446 or MC062 card is defective? Can it be possible that other cards are wrong?

Mazak 20B with Mazatrol 32B

Please notice that this picture is an OEM floppy. Yes it is, you should have 1 or 2 others.
That is the option disk to be loaded during the initialize process.
You WILL need the system disk, and the one shown as the minimum to bring it back to life.

Are the looks deceiving? Yes they are.

It says high density and is double sided, MDF-2HD. Can this disk be read in a normal PC floppy drive? It could until it was made into the OEM disk, and now it will only work for the intended purpose.

Messing with these in a PC floppy drive is only going to cause problems, since windows will try to format them for you.

You will spend $300-500 to replace EACH disk you loose or damage by letting windows format it for you and make it a PC floppy again and destroy the OEM info on it in the process.

Can this disk be read in a normal PC floppy drive? Not now, you need special software running on an old DOS computer with a special drive that turns 360 RPM attached. Then all you can do is copy it.

Go back to my other post for Mitsubishi's contact info.

Will check back next week.
Bill

What was the final solution to this problem. How was possible to reinstall the parameters w/o be able to insert the reinitialization disk to turn black screen alive ?

Back