What's new
What's new

Pocket Mountain

Big John

Plastic
Hi Guys, i have a ran few pocket mountain units in my VTC 200B and they did ok. this morning i am trying to machine a pocket that is about 33" x 5" with 11 small individual mountains in it. is that possible in mazak mazatrol?

Pocket mountain? Do you mean a pocket with several islands inside? I've never heard the term pocket mountain before.

It's possible with Mazatrol, though I think you are going to need to lie to the control a bit to get it done.

Yes, i need 11 individual "islands" in the one pocket. i can't firgure out how to start and stop the contour line for the islands? i know mazatrol can be tricky at times, and i was hoping one of you guys could help? thanks.

I don't think Mazatrol will let you put more than one island in a pocket. You'll have to lie to the machine to get this done.

What I would do is program the islands using slots. Slots don't over travel like a normal line left will plus you can program them wide, or narrow, enough to clear the material between the islands.

I'd more than likely rough the islands out with slots, and finish the walls with rectangle pockets or normal line left programming.

There may be a better way, but I hardly ever use mazatrol for pockets and can't remember all that mazatrol will do for pockets off the top of my head.

The overtravel for line programming is predictable. Most of our machines are tool radius plus an eighth, but there is one oddball that is radius plus .06. It's a parameter setting somewhere that you can change I'm sure.

Back