What's new
What's new

process question

PHDesigns

Hot Rolled
Ok, just when I think I am beginning to like this thing.........well, any way, trying to run a pattern. Basically hose barb type stuff. Use the groove option, pitch, # of grooves and it draws the shape and all great. But when I go to run, wanting to turn it with a left hand vnmg tool, it gives me an alarm for illegal tool width. I guess it is looking for a grooving tool to match the width. Shirley I am not going to have to plug in each 'barb' individually for it to work. (Oh yeah, QT28 w/M32-2)

Went there tried that, didn't work. At least the way I tried.

Alarm will occur if 'groove tool' , aka vnmg, is described too wide. Also, make sure radius on groove tool description 1/2 of described tool width or less. Machine is ok with full radius groove tools (.062 wide with .031R), but will throw error if radius exceeds 1/2 tool width (.062 wide with .0312R).

Write it as a subprogram with a shift 20 times, quickest and easiest way I can think of. Much easier than copying and adjusting 20 lines of program should you need to make changes.

If your groover width is wider than the groove width minus whatever you entered for a finish allowance you will see that alarm too. Unless you leave the rough groove tool out, but I can't see that boding well for the life of your tooling.

Back