What's new
What's new

Programmable Tailstock

Blackhawkxp

Plastic
20191119_083010.jpg20191119_083734_resized.jpg20191119_083829_resized.jpg20191119_083907_resized.jpg

Trying to figure out the programmable tail stock on our machine. I'm not sure how the sequence of events is supposed to work but i think we may have an issue in the wiring so i was hoping someone can shed some light on the subject. When we do a M31 and the quill body extends. A M32 should retract the quill according to the M Code list in our manual but it retracts the tail stock body instead. We cant get the tail stock body to travel towards the chuck so i am not sure which M code sequence accomplishes this task. From what i understand on how the tail stock should work is that you move your Z to where you want your tail stock to stop for machining your part and the tail stock body moves until it hit the stop dog on the carriage and then you program a quill extend(M31). Once done machining you command a quill retract(M32?) and then another M code to move the body to the stop dog on the retract side. I may be incorrect in my assumptions? Does the M32 retract the body until it hits the retract dog and then the quill retracts? Please Help!

On a T32 I used to run it was m31 forward and m32 retract. It had an adjustable dog for the tail body to come forward and hit where you set it then the quill would come out. When it came to the m32 I think the quill and tail body would both retract about the same time.

For some reason we cant get the tail stock body to advance? Do you have a sample G/M Code program that we can try? I am just writing a small program with just a M5 and a M31 to try to get it to move. The quill extends but the tail body doesn't move. I am sure i am missing something simple.

For some reason we cant get the tail stock body to advance? Do you have a sample G/M Code program that we can try? I am just writing a small program with just a M5 and a M31 to try to get it to move. The quill extends but the tail body doesn't move. I am sure i am missing something simple.

You need to type in M11 and then type in M31. M11 activates the tailstock quill and the body.

M10 is active right now and that means M31 will just extend the quill.

The gear motor that drives the chain to advance/retract the tailbody is undersized and weak.

So, if the body has been setting in one place for a while, you will have to use a cheater bar of some sort to help nudge the body into motion.

I have seen the gear box on the little gear motors strip out, and I've seen the chain come off the cog.

Also, the tailbody way covers put a lot of drag on the system, further straining the little gear motor to move the body. Most Mazaks of this vintage have the tailbody way covers removed, as they will bind and crunch anyway.

ToolCat Greg

Thanks for the input. The tail stock body moves in manual mode but not in auto. I will try the M11 later today. They have another job they are running so i cant go out and mess with it until they are done. Do i need to activate the M10 to retract the quill and body as well?

Thanks for the input. The tail stock body moves in manual mode but not in auto. I will try the M11 later today. They have another job they are running so i cant go out and mess with it until they are done. Do i need to activate the M10 to retract the quill and body as well?

No. M11 activates quill and body as a unit for advance and retract when commanding M31 and M32. M10 disengages the body from the quill when commanding M31 and M32.

See if that micro switch on the tailbody is still working and not stuck. Im sure there is also a set inside the body door for the quill so check those too when you set your quill extension. Our old T1 QT20 lathe uses this type of system and thats what usually seems to be the issue. On body/quill retract make sure you use M5 before M32 or it will just sit there.

Well i am able to get the tail body to move forward but after the quill is extended it times out and gives an error stating that there is a tail stock quill sensor malfunction error # 223. I see there are 2 prox switches that i assume are for end of travel. What tells the quill that it is extended? Is there a pressure switch? Also can somebody explain how the positioning of the tail body is accomplished. I assume you command a Z move to where you want to start machining. Command a M11/M31 and the tail body moves to the stop dog and then extends the quill. When finished machining you move the Z position to where you want the tail body to retract to and then command a M11/M32. Is there something i need to set in the setup page for the tail stock? I am at least making baby steps but still getting alarms.

Found my issue. The switch that stops the tail stock body was wired normally closed instead of normally open. All of my issues have been cured by correcting the problem. I thought I was going crazy! Correct me if I am wrong but here is how I have my setup working now. I program the Z position to where I need the tail stock body to stop. I then command a M5, M11, M31 to extend the tail stock and quill. To return the tail stock you program a M5,M11,M32 and it will retract the quill and send the tail stock body to the stop dog on the rear of the machine which is adjustable. Thanks everyone for your help. Sometimes you just need a push in the right direction. My sample program is as follows:

To Extend:
G0Z-3.0 (position for Tail Stock)
M5 (Stop Spindle)
M11 (Unclamp Tail Stock Body)
M31 (Extend Tail Stock Body and Quill)

To Reverse:
M5 (Stop Spindle)
M11 (Unclamp Tail Stock Body)
M32 (Retract Quil and Tail Stock)
G00 G28 W0. ( Send Z Home)

Back