Programming a 4th axis in Mazatrol
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    29
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default Programming a 4th axis in Mazatrol

    So I am looking for thoughts/ideas on how to approach programming a part in Mazatrol on a 4th axis. I recently acquired a FJV25 (M+ control) with a 4th axis. I have run a few parts on it and it is really nice to be able to work on 4 sides of a part in one setup, but programming it has been kind of painful. So far the best that I have come up with is to do all of the work on one side, turn the part in a manual program and then do all of the work on a different side. The problem with this method is that it leads to a lot of tool changes. I am looking for a way to have "tool 1" and use it on all sides of the part (all rotations of the 4th axis), then change to "tool 2" and use it on all side, then "tool 3" and so on.

    Also if anyone has any other tips and tricks that would be appreciated.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    410
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    111
    Likes (Received)
    142

    Default

    I don't know if this would work for what you are wanting to do but worth a try. Use the priority numbers in the mazatrol program. Number each tool in the order that you want them to do work. Like I said not sure if it will work but give it a go

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    29
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sudsy55 View Post
    I don't know if this would work for what you are wanting to do but worth a try. Use the priority numbers in the mazatrol program. Number each tool in the order that you want them to do work. Like I said not sure if it will work but give it a go
    Yeah, I haven't messed around with how this works with the 4th axis a lot, but the problem that I have found is that when you move the 4th axis in a manual program that only way that I have figured out it has to have the tool of the manual program, so it would put the tool away that is being used, grab the manual program tool, rotate 4th axis, and then pick the original tool back up. Sure seems like there would be a better way than that or what I explained in the original post.

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    410
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    111
    Likes (Received)
    142

    Default

    Can't you rotate the axis in Mazatrol?? I'm not familiar with that control and haven't done 4th axis work yet

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    29
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sudsy55 View Post
    Can't you rotate the axis in Mazatrol?? I'm not familiar with that control and haven't done 4th axis work yet
    Currently the only way that I am aware of running it is a manual program inside of a Mazatrol program, it sure seems like there would a way to do it straight up in Mazatrol but I haven't figured it out.

    I did mess around more with setting priorities to try and get tools to do work on different sides of the part and that got the 4th axis all messed up, it would switch to the correct tools but wouldn't move the 4th axis. So if the manual program is for a center drill it would work correctly (rotating to the different sides) but all subsequent tools the 4th axis just sits there.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Posts
    112
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    83
    Likes (Received)
    14

    Default

    Its been a little bit since running a mazak.

    So you can go in and change the Tools order of operations this should be the easiest way.

    OR

    You would program the tool on A0 and then copy and change the rotation to A90 or what ever corresponds to your needs.

    I utilized this with an HMC Mazak and would run all side of the Pallet or had big parts and use this for those.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    29
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DieselMater86 View Post
    Its been a little bit since running a mazak.

    So you can go in and change the Tools order of operations this should be the easiest way.

    OR

    You would program the tool on A0 and then copy and change the rotation to A90 or what ever corresponds to your needs.

    I utilized this with an HMC Mazak and would run all side of the Pallet or had big parts and use this for those.

    Where would you see an A0 or A90 (or A(some angle)) option? Is this option in each new unit or is it a separate unit all together?

    I attempted to attach a screenshot of my current program, changing the tool order of operations (priorities in Mazatrol) is not currently working as I am doing it. When I try to setup each tool to be used on all sides of the part, the fourth axis will only move for the tool called out in the manual program (in this case my center drill), for all subsequent tools the fourth axis just sits there.

    img_20190722_144659859.jpg

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Posts
    112
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    83
    Likes (Received)
    14

    Default

    Does your machine support 4th Axis as Indexing or Continuous motion. A is the 4th Axis call out, and try looking through this I believe its the one i used before. It has been a few years since programming in mazatrol.

    http://www2.i-logic.com/manuals/Maza...l%20Matrix.pdf

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    410
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    111
    Likes (Received)
    142

    Default

    Why have you got the centre drill as a manual program? In the Mazatrol tapping cycle you have the centre drill, tapping drill and tap in the one cycle.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    29
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sudsy55 View Post
    Why have you got the centre drill as a manual program? In the Mazatrol tapping cycle you have the centre drill, tapping drill and tap in the one cycle.
    The manual program is not actually center drilling, I have to have a tool called out in a manual program (or at least I believe so), so I call out the center drill in the manual program, tell the 4th axis to rotate to the desired angle, and then the center drill is the first tool called out in the Mazatrol tapping cycle (center drill, drill, chamfer, tap) called out next.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    29
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DieselMater86 View Post
    Does your machine support 4th Axis as Indexing or Continuous motion. A is the 4th Axis call out, and try looking through this I believe its the one i used before. It has been a few years since programming in mazatrol.

    http://www2.i-logic.com/manuals/Maza...l%20Matrix.pdf
    I don't know for sure what it supports, although I do know that it is a full 4th axis (not an indexer) but I just don't know how or if I can use it as a full 4th axis. I bought this machine from a local high school that wasn't using it, it had been donated to them from Stryker and the school shop teacher only knew Haas machines, so I didn't really get any info on the machine itself other than what I could see, it actually wouldn't come up to ready state when I bought it.

    That manual appears to be EIA/ISO I will see if I can find a similar one for Mazatrol.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    410
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    111
    Likes (Received)
    142

    Default

    Not sure if the M plus is similar to M32 but if when you are writing the block you have the options on the bottom. If you select other it will bring up more options with index being one of them. Like I said I don't know if you have the same on your control

  13. Likes DieselMater86 liked this post
  14. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Posts
    112
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    83
    Likes (Received)
    14

    Default

    It was the only link I had left over so 50/50 shot it would have been the right one but of course not lol.

    Sudsy55 has it right I'm pretty sure of course from memory and I have slept plenty since then.

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    29
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sudsy55 View Post
    Not sure if the M plus is similar to M32 but if when you are writing the block you have the options on the bottom. If you select other it will bring up more options with index being one of them. Like I said I don't know if you have the same on your control
    I think that is what I am looking for, can't try it at the moment but am pretty sure that you nailed it, not sure how I overlooked that one.


    Thank you!


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •