What's new
What's new

Putting a manual chuck on a qt15, anyone ever done it?

M K

Cast Iron
I’m possible looking at another QT15n or qt18 and am tempted if I do get it to keep my current QT15n for more job shop work but a lot of the time it’s 3” to 6” diameter stock and just 1 off parts so the hydraulic 3 jaw can be a pain and a normal manual 3 jaw chuck would be so much more useful for this purpose! Obviously I’d either limit the rpm or get a chuck rated for high rpm

The lathe spindle is A2-6

I’d like to stick to 10” for tool setter eye clearance, just wondered if anyone has done this before and if so what kind of adapter plate did you do and what chuck did you use

Thanks
Marc

Never heard of anyone doing that, but why not if it makes sense to you? You can buy a blank adaptor plate and machine to your need.

I have a 4 jaw manual chuck on an Okuma LB-25. I just found a random A2-11 chuck on ebay.

It's kinda nice since the bore is so open without the draw tube, but I've got a hydraulic chuck I plan on swapping in soon. Work has changed, and the 4 jaw no longer makes as much sense.

I had some parts that were really delicate, so I bolted a 10" six-jaw to the front of the 15" hydraulic. Worked very well, but if you have enough lathes to dedicate one to manual chucking, that'd be much better.

Back