What's new
What's new

QT 20, m funtions going crazy!

landm1

Cast Iron
Hello,

We have a QT20 lathe, 1995, great shape, we do not use it much. Warming up the machine, on its own, parts catcher starts going up and down, turret unclamps, control rolls several screens. It happens in about 10 minutes after startup, consistently. I can shut the machine down, restart and everything is ok so probably not the ladder.

Mazak and Mitsubishi stumped, I re-seated all the boards, undid all the connectors on the control panel, checked voltage, 200v, 100v, 24v. At the end of the day I noticed the fan sucking air out of the drive area was off, I spun it and it went on but a little slow seemed like everything was ok. I ordered a new one from McMaster but as I turned the machine back on it did it again but the fan was blowing strong, I am thinking the fan was over-amping and screwing up the IO board? I ran out of time and I was just wondering if anyone else ever had this happen before,

Hello,

We have a QT20 lathe, 1995, great shape, we do not use it much. Warming up the machine, on its own, parts catcher starts going up and down, turret unclamps, control rolls several screens. It happens in about 10 minutes after startup, consistently. I can shut the machine down, restart and everything is ok so probably not the ladder.

Mazak and Mitsubishi stumped, I re-seated all the boards, undid all the connectors on the control panel, checked voltage, 200v, 100v, 24v. At the end of the day I noticed the fan sucking air out of the drive area was off, I spun it and it went on but a little slow seemed like everything was ok. I ordered a new one from McMaster but as I turned the machine back on it did it again but the fan was blowing strong, I am thinking the fan was over-amping and screwing up the IO board? I ran out of time and I was just wondering if anyone else ever had this happen before,

parts catcher is operated by air cylinder, turret is always clamped as it is spring loaded hydraulic valve, to unclamp it , PLC needs to send +24DC to open SSR relay. Even if you are loosing AC voltage, turret would stay clamped any way ( again, depends on your hydraulic configuration) . Control doing funny thing with screen is probably more important issue.

For weird issues like this, re-initializing the control is a good place to start.

Mazak or MEAU will have the procedure. You will lose all parameters and programs and such, so plan for that by backing everything up first!

On the T-Plus control, the QX141 is the main processor and memory board. If the re-initialize doesn’t solve the problem, this board may need a trip to MEAU.

Actually, if sending in, it’s probably best to send the entire control...so they can bench test and burn-in 100%. The control rack itself isn’t that big, so shipping isn’t cost prohibitive.

ToolCat Greg

ToolCat Greg

Cool, I sent in a control on a QT8(t+) upgrade that went south so if the new fan does not help I will probably go that way!

Thanks

We have on older Mazak that was doing some weird shit. Search this site for "Scary old Mazak". There are a lot of similarities. It turned out that a CNMG insert had fallen behind the keyboard and was sending spurious signals.

Ok-

Replaced the muffin fan pulling air out of the drives, no impact. Because the machine starts up and runs fine for the first 10 minutes I am ruling out the ladder, I believe those work or they don't. Looking at I.O. board or a dodgy 24v power supply?

Ok-

Replaced the muffin fan pulling air out of the drives, no impact. Because the machine starts up and runs fine for the first 10 minutes I am ruling out the ladder, I believe those work or they don't. Looking at I.O. board or a dodgy 24v power supply?

when that happens, turret unclamps itself, can you actually see on diagnostic screen that this particular Y output is activated???

Back