What's new
What's new

QT-8 Air "leak"?

tdkkart98

Plastic
Actually more like a built in "feature" it would appear. Opened up the turret on one of QT8(1992?) machines
to change the coolant hose and also to look for an air leak that the machine has had forever.
Should have taken a picture I guess, but what I found inside was an open ended piece of 1/8" copper tube pointed sort of right above the coolant hose connection. The line blows air continuously any time there is air connected to the machine, not something any of our other 5 or 6 machines does.

I don't see this pipe on any of our drawings, and I don't see anywhere for the loose end to be connected to.

Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Tom

I am pretty sure it is for cooling/making a oil mist to lube the turret parts.

Sounds like it is a positive air purge for the turret to keep out the coolant. Newer Mazaks also have a positive air purge for the spindle.

We were told by our Mazak tech that this is a regulated open air line that is used to cool the turret motor.

We were told by our Mazak tech that this is a regulated open air line that is used to cool the turret motor.

This is the one that makes the most sense when looking at it as it does point more or less at the turret motor. There's nothing in there that
really needs lubed, the turret motor is enclosed, and everything else is lubed with way lube.

Sure is noisy, and wastes a lot of shop air just to cool a motor, especially in our application where the turret may only turn a couple times when making one-off maintenance parts.

Our older QTs will run just fine without air hooked up to the machine. It is used only for an air blow on the tool eye.

Back