What's new
What's new

QT-8 alarm 128 Emergency stop

Captdave

Titanium
Fired up the control and got alarm 128 emergency stop, manual says emergency stop button pushed. Reset the E stop and restarted control and can't clear alarm.

Dragging out the wiring diagram now just thought someone may have some experience with this alarm. Son said he did have trouble homing the machine once the other day and had not touched the E stop.

T32-B control

Dave, have you opened the electrical cabinet to see what your servo and spindle drives are outputting? You may have a drive problem...

Does your electrical manual have the ladder diagrams? If so, find the section with the 128 Alarm as an output. There will be several inputs that must be in a certain status for the 128 alarm to show. You can then use your Diagnostics-page bit monitor to check the status of each input, to determine which one is causing the alarm.

Good luck! I know alarms like that can be a real p-i-a!

Catman Greg

Started with the electrical diagram for the E stop circuit.

The big relay next to the 2 30 breakers EMG0 is working

on the relay panel the relays with indicators

EMGB ok
ENG1 and EMG2 ok
EMGH ok

EMG3 and EMG4 have no indicators so not sure about them

The only relay I haven't found was EMGE

The spindle drive isn't showing any numbers. The other board is flashing F1 F2 56

I'll pull out the ladder next, its the one I have no clue as to how to read.

and restarted control and can't clear alarm.

Did you shut off the power to the control and not flip off the main power circuit breaker?

My old T-3 sometimes needs the main power breaker thrown for 30 seconds to clear some machine fault alarms. Shutting off the control at the panel does not clear it from it's brain. Killing ALL power, then restarting machine does the trick most of the time.

The times this does not work is because an overload has tripped in the cabinet and needs to be manually reset.

Well here is where we are now, The E stop alarm seams to have fixed its self.

Now I'm finding that my son crashed the machine before this all started, said the bar puller had a part stuck in it and collided with the bar in the chuck, take it for what its worth.

Now the problem is the machine will not home in Z. At about -.4" from machine home the Z axis load meter starts climbing till it shuts off from overload and if you press the left jog button it will travel into the chuck if you don't stop it first. Checked the Z limit switch with a meter and is working fine. He had the job set up as Z0 at 3" from the chuck jaws now Z0 is 4.1" from the jaws.

Remembered having a problem homing the Z axis a couple of years ago so decided to pull the Z limit switch for some bench testing and the switch some oil/coolant inside and was intermittent. Replaced the switch and sure enough that solved the homing problem.:D

Lets see what other surprises await me....

Well here is where we are now, The E stop alarm seams to have fixed its self.

Now I'm finding that my son crashed the machine before this all started, said the bar puller had a part stuck in it and collided with the bar in the chuck, take it for what its worth.

Now the problem is the machine will not home in Z. At about -.4" from machine home the Z axis load meter starts climbing till it shuts off from overload and if you press the left jog button it will travel into the chuck if you don't stop it first. Checked the Z limit switch with a meter and is working fine. He had the job set up as Z0 at 3" from the chuck jaws now Z0 is 4.1" from the jaws.

Sounds like the machine crash might not have been the kid's fault. If the home limit switch is loose or intermittent, the machine will home to a different Z position when first powered up. If the tools were already probed before switch was loose, they will probe differently now (grid shift error).

Simple way to check for grid shift is to home machine and probe one tool which was already probed before machine was turned off everytime. If it measures within a few tenths or so different, no issues. If the numbers jump by .039" (1mm) or more, the home limit switch is loose or bad and needs to be checked out.

Sounds like the machine crash might not have been the kid's fault.

I think your correct in the the machine homed wrong and caused the minor incident.

The kid is a hard worker and very consciences of what he is doing, so no complaints there. I kind of threw him in the brier patch on this one as I had to leave to go out of the country and left him to setup and run a 3,000 piece bar job on his own. He had 3 bars left when I returned but we got them finished on time and on spec. so no big deal.

There is no way he could have known there was a problem with the machine, glad I did bust his balls over this.

You need to get that boy a bar feeder dave
You can find old hydrobars for 500 bucks
Would pay for itself in no time

Kevinsr

He really needs a chip conveyor and a bar feeder but just don't have room for either one. Although the thought has crossed my mind more then once to cut a hole in the basement wall and feed the bars from out side. How long do you think it would take my wife to figure out that new spigot really doesn't have any water coming out of it? :D

Nice to hear from you Kevin.

Back