What's new
What's new

QT15 Tooling Basics

JohnXKennedy

Plastic
Hey guys,

I am a total beginner when it comes to CNC lathes, plenty of time on various VMCs, large CNC routers, plasma cutters etc but none with lathes (or mazatrol for that matter!)

Please, have mercy on me when I ask some extremely basic questions about my '89 QT15 which I'm just now setting up.

I have absolutely no tooling and need to pick some up to get to work. As to which inserts etc I can do some reading, but I'm a bit confused about holders.

-I have seen mentions of the turret accepting 3/4 x 3/4, also some say 1 x 1 for stick tooling shank size. Which is correct? Does the shank size matter or can I use any that will fit? I would think this would throw off the tool to centerline alignment if the wrong holder is used...

-Do you use different styles of tool holders to run the tool backwards vs forwards? (upside down vs rightside up?) I have read the direction you turn is somewhat preference with chip evacuation and forces on the turret being the main pros/cons, is there anything I should know about this machine and directionality in particular?

-I have some cylindrical holders they measure out to ~1.5". Do you sleeve this to accept a smaller boring bar, or do I need a different holder to bolt to the turret?

-Is this style of straight shank ER32 holder the right thing to use with the 1.5" holders on my turret?

I realize these are very basic questions and I have done some searching through the mazak forum but these questions seem to be too simple to have been asked before. I actually have most of the manuals for the machine as well, but again mazak seems to assume you have a basic understanding of turning center tooling and does not describe these things...

Lastly, if anyone feels like throwing out recommendations for actual tools (for simple OD turning, grooving, parting etc) I'd gladly take the advice, but there is a lot already written on the subject all over the internet so hopefully I can muddle my way along if I can finally figure out how to bolt them to the turret. :rolleyes5:

Thank you!

I was in your same boat a few years ago.

My machine is a QT15 and it takes 1" tooling. I have not tried to adapt to other sizes but I think it can be done.

Bascically I have settled on CNMG, DNMG, and VNMG inserts and the tool holders for them. The CNMG is very common and good for general od and face turing. The DNMG and VNMG for back side cutting, under cutting, etc. I have been using Right hand tooling so the tool holders mount upside down. I have a few left hand tool holders for back side turning. As far as brand of tool holders, I have various, some brand name, some better grade chinese. I have collected them here and there. I don't think generally used tool holders are a good idea. The ones I have seen are pretty yaked up- only if they look near new. For the CNMG I am using MCLNR 16-4D Holders, For DNMG I am using MDJNR 16-4D, and for the VNMG I am using MVJNR 16-3D holders.

You can google around and find some cheat sheets that will break down what these codes mean.

For grooving I have tried a few but I really like PH Horn stuff. Not cheap but I don't think there is a cheap route for grooving/parting.

I think the ER-32 holder you have listed above is good. I have the same but with a 1" shank so it needs an adapter sleeve that adds length. I'd rather have one with a 1-1/2" shank like that.

For threading I have been usining carmex lay down threading tools and similar and like them very well.

Thank you for the info Pete, it is extremely helpful!

One last very basic question -

How do you switch the chuck from ID to OD clamping with a T2 control?

Currently my spindle will not turn unless my chuck is open as if to ID clamp, but I would like to run OD clamped parts.

Mine has a toggle switch in the cabinet. I have never used it though. It also has a knockout on the control panel with graphics but no switch. Maybe getting it to the control panel is an option. Not sure.

Hi John
I have a QT15 and the low voltage power supply failed
and by the time we got that fixed the batteries went dead
so it lost the parameters.
I am wondering if you could email me pictures of the parameter pages

Ok wow I found the toggle but I would never have guessed inside the cabinet, thanks again Pete!

Make sure the spindle is stopped and you do not have a part in the chuck when you flip that switch. The chuck jaws will move to the opposite position when you flip the switch.

Johnxkennedy thanx for the parameters your pictures helped everything works now except for the spindle so if anybody can help with that,that would be great thanks for the help

Back