What's new
What's new

QT6T Hydraulic Pump Cavitating

JHanko

Aluminum
The hydraulic power pack on my QT6T is cavitating and losing pressure, shutting the machine down. The oil tank is full. It started a few weeks ago, with an occasionl growl that would only last a couple seconds. Now it is happening every time there is a demand for oil (open/close collet, tool change, extend/retract tailstock). If the machine is idle, the pump sounds normal at the set pressure. It acts as though there is a clogged screen or filter on the suction side that is causing this when oil is routed somewhere. I have looked through all of the manuals I have here and cannot find a hydraulic schematic anywhere, so I don't know if there even is a screen or filter of any kind. Any advice is appreciated.

It turns out that there was a suction strainer inside the tank, screwed into a bung on the bottom. The oil looked and smelled good, but that wasn't a surprise, as I changed it when I bought the machine. The strainer was pretty much completely clogged with paint that came off the inside of the tank. Very simple repair. This Mazak is indestructible...

Attachments

• 20201127_173620.jpg
    20201127_173620.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 20201127_181304.jpg
    20201127_181304.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 30

Back