What's new
What's new

QT8 T2 Z axis stored stroke error parameter check please

vonblowseph

Cast Iron
Howdy folks,

trying to turn a long-ish part on this machine.
part is 7.5" long.
Sure seems like it should be able to do it.
well within the travel from home to beginning of part.
My parameter must be off or something.
I have 11 inches as the Z axis parameter...I think it is B2?
what do you guys have?
Hard to tell what this goofy thing is thinking.

Thanks!
Have a great Friday night!
Joey

back in the shop this morning I'm noticing something weird.
I'm running a normal OD turning tool holding it directly in the tool block that is located in the turret.
for some reason when I run the simulation it shows all of my tools forward of the turret.
The tool tips are all 3 inches or so in front of the turret kind of floating in space.
Same way with all the tools.
even the drills.
shows them a few inches longer than they are supposed to be.
I can't help but think this has something to do with my Z axis issue......
Help please.
Thanks,
I'm stumped.
reviewed all my parameters...they seem to be in order.

All of the B parameters have a #1 and a #2. Parameter B2 #1 controls how far Z-axis plus soft is limit from home position and #2 controls how far Z-axis minus soft limit is from home position. Parameter B1 controls X-axis soft limits in same fashion.

Neither of these B2 parameters should affect control graphics.

I believe parameter B3 (or higher) controls turret width and length dimensions.

All of the B parameters have a #1 and a #2. Parameter B2 #1 controls how far Z-axis plus soft is limit from home position and #2 controls how far Z-axis minus soft limit is from home position. Parameter B1 controls X-axis soft limits in same fashion.

Neither of these B2 parameters should affect control graphics.

I believe parameter B3 (or higher) controls turret width and length dimensions.

ok! so in the tools section is where my problem might be.
the manual refers to machine parameters of B17-B32
Is this the #2 column of B parameters??

Somehow there is a difference between the turret and where the tool setter sets the tool.
I was able to get rid of the z axis drive alarm by getting rid of my long boring bar and drills.
I guess it thought those would crash.
This is beyond me.
Maybe machine zero in Z got messed up in a crash or something?

I'm hoping a call to Mazak on Tuesday will give me a clue.
The relationship between the toolsetter and the turret I believe to be the issue.
I think I can trace it back to a wreck I had where I crashed into the tailstock.
I am getting kind of used to lying to this thing to getting it to make the parts that I want to make.
This lathe is pretty awesome. It makes great parts. We have a funny relationship.
Thanks for the replies...

Mazak can surely get you straight.
you need z-0 set and maybe tooleye parameters. it's pretty simple I just have not done it in a decade (or 2) and don't recall the particulars.

The QT8 only has about 12" of Z travel, so if you have a longish drill or boring bar in the turret, that will reduce the length of part you can run.

Why?

Well the machine wants to clear the end of the part by .08" (a parameter) for indexing. If the length of one of your long tools is so long that the machine reaches the travel limit in Z before the turret can get past the end of the part to index, you will get Z-AXIS OVERTRAVEL ALARM.

So the best thing is do what you did, take the long tools out, and then you must remember to enter shorter numbers for the TOOL DATA Z values for these tools, else the control still thinks it has long tools mounted.

Another way around this "long tool" problem is to change your default tool-index position parameter. There are 8 possible automatic-mode index positions, one being HOME IN X AND Z. Just set the parameter P2 (you will need a manual to know the various values) so the machine will go home to index, regardless of where your ZO is, and regardless of the length of tools in the turret.

ToolCat Greg

Success!
for now at least. I know that correcting one problem can cause another somewhere else.
I was able to solve the graphics issue by adjusting the M43 parameter.
this is the parameter that gives the touch sensor reference point in the Z dimension.
by moving it 3 inches and some change it now looks like the tool is on the turret.
Now to reset all my tools and find out what other alarms pop up.
I also messed around with the ZP parameter and that had some effect, however the ZP parameter has a limited adjustment.
The ZP parameter can only me moved about an inch total. I needed 3 inches though.
thanks,
Joey

Back