What's new
What's new

QT8 Tool eye problem

GP Tech

Cast Iron
Hi,

I was trying to get the tooleye working today and it looks like the problem I have is software or ladder related as the "TOOLSET MEASURE" softkey does nothing.

I pulled the arm apart and the proximity sensors are working that detect what position the arm is in and the airblast and tool sensor works but the machine just won't go into the measure mode.

If anyone knows what could causing this or if I'm missing something please let me know.

Here's a video of what's going on.

It should turn purple when you press button.
I think the control thinks a tool is in the way.
Try "barrier cancel" at main menu.
Try move tool as far away as possible
Try type in X-300 Z-300 on all tool positions.
Try set tailstock switch in the right position.

If you spinn your tool turret does all position display the correct tool number on the monitor?
Can you take pictures of all your tool setup pages.

The turret indexes correctly and displays the right number and the offsets are applied properly to the position. I've tried the measure all tool values erased and also with a couple of tools and the all no go with the tooleye measure.

I think it's in the ladder that this has been disabled as I've completely wiped all of the boards and reinitialized and inputted the parameters from scratch.
I don't know how to get to the ladder on this control though.

My ST30ATC m/c T3 (same as T2 but for 3 axis) have 16 tool positions in the machine and a 32 tool magazin on the backside.
When I bought it its been out of power for years so all parameters was gone.
This machine does the same with that button if there is something wrong with the tool setup, like if one the 16 pockets is marked as empty.
Thats why I want to see all your tool setup pages.

I notice you did not have any load meter for X axis, why is that?

My ST30ATC m/c T3 (same as T2 but for 3 axis) have 16 tool positions in the machine and a 32 tool magazin on the backside.
When I bought it its been out of power for years so all parameters was gone.
This machine does the same with that button if there is something wrong with the tool setup, like if one the 16 pockets is marked as empty.
Thats why I want to see all your tool setup pages.

I notice you did not have any load meter for X axis, why is that?

I don't know why there is no x axis, maybe the QT8 don't display it?

So, you're saying if I populate all of the tool pages then it might work?

Yes, the tools have to be set up correctly.
Have a page where you define tooltip radius and cutting direction, on that page you also have to specify what tool from the tool-directory you are using.
In the tool-directory you specify what tool (OD, ID, drill, etc) and dimensions.
I will take pictures from my QT10N and post them so you can get a hint how to set it up.
(again I dont know the exact english word displayed since my machine is in swedish)

Here you can se my tool setup picture:
ToolSetup.JPG
ToolDir1.JPG
Here you can see that tools:

Tool 1&2 have the same directory number (11).
If you then look at directory page at number 11:
It says "Bor-Kan" that is "Drill-Edge"
180 is the direction of the drill
15 is the cutting angle
5 is the diameter of the drill.

Tool 3 has directory number 3
"SPA-UTV" = Groove-OUT
25 = Length of cutting tool
3 = With of insert
20 = with of holder

Tool 7
"SLA-INV" = Turning-Inner
95 Cutting angle 90(machine) + 5(Tool)
30 Angle of insert (Not correct for this insert, I think like 85 is correct)
20 Diameter of shaft

Tool 8
"SLA-UTV" = Turning Outside
95 Cutting angle 90(machine) + 5(Tool)
85 Angle of insert
20 With of shaft

Hope this will help you

Thanks for that I will try it sometime today.

Just tried filling in all the tool dimensions on every position and the tooleye still doesn't work.

I'm hoping that Hit and miss or Justin Terry might be able to shed some light on why the tooleye softkey doesn't work, or give me direction on how to check the ladder.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Did you manage to put in the binary parameters? (The ones with 8 0or1 like 00101100)
If not you have to enter a paraty number of how many 1 you have.
00000010 = 000000101
00110111 = 001101115
11111111 = 111111118

Did you manage to put in the binary parameters? (The ones with 8 0or1 like 00101100)
If not you have to enter a paraty number of how many 1 you have.
00000010 = 000000101
00110111 = 001101115
11111111 = 111111118

Yes they were inputted. I tried the 1311 input on the parameter page to see if a hidden page would come up but only the 2 parameter pages and 1 user page came up.

Just to add I found a gearbox on ebay that I think will replace the damaged one in the tooleye.

Back