What's new
What's new

question on older integrex 100y machine

CBlair

Diamond
As the title suggests, I saw a machine for sale on ebay and it didnt look like it had enough room for the b axis head to fit between the chuck and tailstock. I looked for videos and several of them also looked like there was no room. How are you supposed to drill a center hole or bore the inside of a part on these machines?

No photo or video showed that the tailstock moves out of the way or showed a machine being able to drill on the face of the part. There was one machine shown as a chucker with no tailstock.

Did they really sell a machine made that way or are all the photos of the machine just showing the tailstock in the way?

Charles

Charles my machine has a sub spindle but I will tell you it’s pretty tight in there. Mine is much newer than the 100y you’ve probably seen so things may be very different.

Max tool length for my machine is 7.8” so there’s really no such thing as deep hole drilling.

I happen to have a lower turret but you have to lock out the rotation to use a longer tool as any tool over 4” will crash as the turret rotates.

This machine is really only suited to small parts. In the future if I can make the space I’d like to upgrade to an I-200st or I-300st

For reference my machine is a 100 IV ST
Upper turret Z travel is around 31”

You can see here with the style of lower turret only short tools can be used. It is very nice though that the same tools can be used on the main or sub spindle.

1e18a495f334582eefc1f2b9c9fe7e7c.jpg

670db5c642e531281fdbe0740099ad48.jpg

With jaws in the sub spindle if I travel x1 straight down it will collide. With no jaws it clears.

Total I’d say you could get a 6” long part in the main spindle with a 7.8” tool in the upper turret. Maybe a little more but starts getting even more tight.

103c115003a683f8cc25848e0ef045fb.jpg

This is a 12” diameter part in the machine.

I have to use 45degree tooling to reach it with the upper turret. If the head is at b90 (aligned with x axis) it will not clear unless I have very short tools which I do not.
ea04d3f3032d9b38c7734ede1ea6acf1.jpg

fec06fce692d0a240b2ddd0a91ecbfaf.jpg

Thanks, yea I have noticed that with the sub they have more travel. I am sure that the tailstock must be able to go further into the machine than was shown. I mean it doesnt make sense if it wouldnt.

That lower turret does look like it would be a challenge. Thanks for sharing, have a great weekend.

Charles

Back