What's new
What's new

Questions about Mazak J200

gixxergary

Aluminum
We are considering a new J200 with 1 deg increments, single spindle, 36 tools. We will be looking at this machine at IMTS, possibly sooner. A couple of questions for those that have direct knowledge.
First, we opted for the 20hp spindle vs the stock 15. Why 15?? My 250my and 250 both have 35. Am I missing something here, isnt this under powered??
Second, this machine has 20 inches center to center. How in the world can you put an 8 inch long spade drill or the like, into the spindle, while having anything over a couple of inches sticking out of the jaws?? This seems ridiculously narrow, and could easily run into a problem. I realize, they make a 40 inch CtoC, and that is what we are getting quoted, but what would be the point of the shorter version??

Any input is appreciated.

Haven't used a integrex J series before just the i400 and i400s at work but going off the specs for the machine it does seem like its designed with smaller soft material type of work where the lower hp wouldn't be as big an issue and shorter tools would be more commonly used. You certainly are right though the 15hp main spindle does seem on the low side but im sure the machine is just as high quality as the rest of the mazak range but this particular model seems marketed to small precision parts if I had to guess.

The J series is much less common. It's more targeted as an entry level machine, hence the indexing B instead of 0.0001 degrees and lower specs compared to a full blown I series. I agree with HDFanboy's comments, the 20 inch bed is for people who are only going to be doing short parts and don't need the extra length.

If you go for the j200s you will find it much better for dbc. Until I ran this machine I never understood the real benefit of a sub spindle. Also on the j200s the sub home position isn’t at the far right extremity of the w axis. If you’re not using sub you can send it far right.

If you've already got QTN style lathes these are the next logical evolution in capability. How many jobs have you passed on with those QTN's because you needed 8+ live tools? True position tolerances were too tight? Never again!!

Keep in mind the J-200 is an 8" chuck machine with 2" or 2.5" spindle bore. Do you really need 35 HP when your typical work is <7" OD?

We have 2 J-200 Integrexes set up with 8" chucks. They can be a little limited for longer parts. Max tool length is <9", I think. Fortunately, we have 4 larger Integrexes for longer/larger work.

One of the larger IGX we have has a 40 tool magazine. That sucks, don't buy a 36 tool machine!!

We run short run jobs during the day/swap & run bar feed stuff at night. Can't do that to effectively without a quick change chuck & 72 tool magazine.

Best bang/buck options:

72 tool magazine
Quick change chuck
2.5" spindle bore
High pressure coolant

The J series is much less common. It's more targeted as an entry level machine, hence the indexing B instead of 0.0001 degrees and lower specs compared to a full blown I series. I agree with HDFanboy's comments, the 20 inch bed is for people who are only going to be doing short parts and don't need the extra length.

go for an i400 mate,

Back