What's new
What's new

Quick turn 15 will not zero out / home on start up

M K

Cast Iron
Hi all

My machine is actually a HYUNDAI badged Mazak quick turn 15N with a T32B-b mazatrol controller

I bought the machine in an auction and did not view it or speak to previous owners or operators

The auction house managed to do a small video of the basics, seen here

YouTube

They got the spindle jogging, and the turret indexing as you can see,

Now I have spoken to the auctioneer but he says he can’t remember what they done specifically, and he had somebody from the warehouse helping who he can’t contact so they can’t help me unfortunately

So seeing as that worked I know it’s not a totally duff machine,

So, I can power it up,

Put the door switch to test position and the program switch to enable and I can jog the axis using the hand wheel and both axis move

But if I press the home button followed by the x or z direction button as the manual say for the zero/home sequence, nothing happens at all, if I try to jog the spindle nothing happens!

I have been told that unless you zero the machine first nothing else will function

Anyone have any ideas

All parameters in the machine booklet it seems are there, some are slightly different to the manual but they are locked in the machine and it says “protected” if you try to edit them,

The hydraulic pump is working and chuck will close and open

I can unclamp the turret but it will not rotate using the jog button

Both axis move using the jog handwheel as mentioned before so they are not on the stops or limit switches

The auctioneer had it moving in the video so it must be a sequence I’m not doing or something simple

I have read the manual but have not found an answer

Any help would be appreciated

I have a machine service engineer who has some experience with these machines booked for Monday if I don’t work it out before

Thanks
Marc

Last edited:
Hi

I tried both but it seems to make no difference,

With the 4 jog keys (x+ x- z+ z-) should they light up when you press them? As mine do not! I opened up the cabinet and put a meter on the jog buttons and I have 12v dc power going to each switch

Thanks
Marc

Ok so I have managed to sort these issues, cause was a door interlock being re wired so it could be run with door open so when I switched it to test so door could be open it actually put the door lock into closed which stopped everything

So I can now home the machine, x and z axis,
I can rote the turret indexer (8 tool position)
And I can Jog the spindle

Tomorrow I will try and figure out the next alarm which is alarm 250 - spindle misoperation, I have read it could be a tailstock quill extend retract sensor issue or it could be my tool setter eye, the tool eye does have issues as it won’t come down when asked, throws up error 325, “tool eye exd imp”

So a bit more to work out

Thanks
Marc

“Spindle mis-operation” can be:

1.) tool eye not home (with sensor activated so control knows it’s parked)

2.) tail spindle not back (with sensor activated so control knows it’s back)

3.) chuck not clamped (may have to work the ID/OD switch a couple times while clamping/unclamping)

If set for OD, the chuck has to be clamped down on a part, or closed down all the way.

(Just the opposite for ID clamp setting)

ToolCat

Hi

Thanks for the reply

Yeah I done a search and found the info regarding tailstock quill sensors, I have 2 lights for extended and retracted but they only light initially when it either hits full extension or retract so I’m going to see if I can adjust them accordingly to stay on as it seems they are supposed to,

Regarding the tool eye, it definitely has a sensor issue but I do not know where the sensors are yet! When you go to tool menu and attempt to ext or retract should the tool measure off being highlighted initially as that’s how mine is,

I know the motor works both ways as I have tricked it by manually positioning with lathe turned off, then re start lathe then press retract and it retracts but when you then try and extend you get the error message so maybe the sensor is not seeing it fully retracted? Can anyone tell me where the sensors are?

With regards the chuck clamping, this is also giving me headaches as when the machine arrived it had no proximity sensors at the rear, the bare wires (2 for each sensor) were just crimped together,

I fitted 2 new sensors today but no matter what I do I get a chuck position error on either open or close, doesn’t seem to matter whether chuck set to int or ext, open or close, sensors in both positions, still get an error

Thanks again for the reply’s

It’s always good to keep these threads going as solutions are found to help future users

Thanks
Marc

Update time

After reading about making the sure the quill was retracted all the way back, well I retracted the quill and held the switch for a few extra seconds and the retract light flashed then stayed on and then it allowed me to start the spindle and also allowed me to extend and retract the tool eye although that needs some wires soldering back on the sensor

I’ve done a walk around video with it all working now

Just the chuck sensors to sort as the chuck closes and closed sensor lights and when chuck opens the chuck open sensor lights and there is no errors so the machine thinks it’s fine but the sensors on the sensor ring are not lighting and going out when in the right positions so someone may have changed wiring further down the line to make it work with no sensors which is how it was when I got it,

See my YouTube video for a walk around etc

YouTube

Thanks
Marc

So now I just need to learn how to program it to see if its actually ok when running a program, that’s where it’s lucky I have all the manuals

Back