What's new
What's new

SERIAL CABLE RS232 (9pin to 9pin) MAZAK MATRIX

Fat Hope

Plastic
Matrix control on Variaxis.

We have installed a USB to Serial adapter (and the drivers) so we can drip feed via our usual DNC software using serial TAPE mode.

Our other Mazaks (with serial ports) use a 25pin (machine side) to 9pin (Laptop) cable, however with the USB to serial adapter setup; the machine side is now 9pin (not 25pin) so we need to connect 9pin to 9pin.

We did rig up a simple Null Modem cable 9pin to 9pin to test;-
MachineLaptop
Pin 2(RX)Pin 3(TX)
Pin 3(TX)Pin 2(RX)
Pin 5(Gnd) Pin 5(Gnd)

With this cable we can upload programs using TAPE mode.

However it does not download to the laptop (throws up the usual mind numbing Mazak "Tape errors").

We have not tried drip feed I suspect we might need RTS and CTS signals first?

Also not sure if we need to "loop back" any pins?

Does anyone have a pin out diagram for Mazak 9pin to 9pin connection?

Thanks.

Thanks for your quick reply.

We use DNC Server (by i-Logic software) on a laptop and have become familiar with drip feeding our other Mazaks using this simple ($70 for lifetime) software . It works well and is stable on all Mazak controls we have, from MPlus to Fusion 640T controls - no reason it won't work with Matrix (if we make the right cable).

After trying HD operation "drip" mode on the Matrix we found it does not allow Non Modal or M98H** restarts (true if the HD program is called as a sub-program - or is run as main program).

An insert change during "drip" mode (HD or TAPE) usually means a restart after removing used lines (after the header) to somewhere before your stop position - changing your first tool in the header to your current tool - then drip feeding again from the program start.

Doing this in HD mode means - deleting program from HD - editing offline - reloading the new program to HD - restarting, we find it simpler to edit the program (directly on the laptop) using DNC Server and Notepad++ and immediately re-starting drip in tape mode from the same laptop.

I admit we are not the brightest bulbs in the room :confused: and there is probably a smarter way to do restarts in HD operation mode (any suggestions are welcome). One benefit of laptop drip feed is keeping a standard way of operating long programs on all our machines (even the stone age ones - yes, I do include Matrix in the same category :D).

We did ask Mazak about cable pin outs, but :sleepy: from them, even if we we didn't buy their own brand of USB to serial adapter, it would be nice to get some support. Wonder if they are waiting for us to ask the $$$ price for a two-minute parameter change to increase NC memory size.. Hmm (is there a way to turn this option on ourselves)?

In the mean time, hope someone can help with a 9pin to 9pin cable pin out format?

Back