What's new
What's new

Slant Turn 40 Spindle Malfunction Issue

Team_Olympus

Plastic
Another Hurdle in getting the slant turn 40 up and running!

Everything on the Machine seems to be working now and we have worked through a number of issues.

The Current issue we now face is when we go to fire up the spindle we automatically through the breaker and get the dreaded spindle controller Malfunction code.

I checked through the transformer and verified we are pinned for our power level per the documents and have checked a bunch of things. I know the machine ran flawlessly before I got it as I know the person and it worked great. I'm am kinda lost as to where to troubleshoot this issue and could use some guidance. I was told that due to the machine sitting idle for a few months it could have carbon build up on the brushes however I would think if that were the case there would be some kinda of effort by the machine to start the spindle but there is nothing.

My worry on one side is the machine doesn't like the phase convertor but I know lots of guys run them with no issues. Everything else is working minus the spindle now.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Machine is a 1989 Slant turn 40

throwing the spindle controller breaker is generally a dead shorted something in the controller itself
big transistor or the like
disconnect motor leads and then start it up
if no trip then maybe motor

throwing the spindle controller breaker is generally a dead shorted something in the controller itself

Ok Ill try that today. I wish I could get an accurate wiring diagram. that would help a lot with expected readings and diagnostics.

Ok so not 100% sure on a few things but I traced the Wires coming out of the control Box and its really weird how they are wired.
Typical RST 3 Phase in but out it has only 2 and on the Large cont actor its Bussed with 1 in. I took some pictures.

Anyways, I disconnected the two coming from the controller and moved out of the way. I fired up the machine and when I hit the spindle on the spindle cooler fan come on now and it does not throw the breaker. I did remove the fan and there is a large build up of black soot carbon like material on the brushes. They could probably use a good clean. Regardless Im trying to figure out the next steps here.

I appreciate your help now on a few different things!

Spindle Controller.jpg

spindle controller 2.jpg

not sure what that is
when i google that drive it comes up so its not some orphan
i dont think your really on the motor lead output spot
you need to find someone knows something on this cause its over my head

Hello,
Can you share your parameter files? I have a Slant Turn 60 with Cam T2 with no parameters but I think your parameters is a good start.

My email address is [email protected]

Thank you

jolulank

Another Hurdle in getting the slant turn 40 up and running!

Everything on the Machine seems to be working now and we have worked through a number of issues.

The Current issue we now face is when we go to fire up the spindle we automatically through the breaker and get the dreaded spindle controller Malfunction code.

I checked through the transformer and verified we are pinned for our power level per the documents and have checked a bunch of things. I know the machine ran flawlessly before I got it as I know the person and it worked great. I'm am kinda lost as to where to troubleshoot this issue and could use some guidance. I was told that due to the machine sitting idle for a few months it could have carbon build up on the brushes however I would think if that were the case there would be some kinda of effort by the machine to start the spindle but there is nothing.

My worry on one side is the machine doesn't like the phase convertor but I know lots of guys run them with no issues. Everything else is working minus the spindle now.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Machine is a 1989 Slant turn 40

Back