What's new
What's new

Smooth X 3-D assist

Gobo

Titanium
Is 3-D assist an option, or does it come standard? I do not see it on the options page, highlighted or not. I see Mazatrol 3-D, and it is not highlighted. Are they the same, just called something different? When I attempt to use 3-D assist, I cannot chose a folder from which to import a CAD file.

I think it is an option.
I don't use it myself but the Variaxis we have here with the smooth control doesn't have any of the 3D options.

Is 3-D assist an option, or does it come standard? I do not see it on the options page, highlighted or not. I see Mazatrol 3-D, and it is not highlighted. Are they the same, just called something different? When I attempt to use 3-D assist, I cannot chose a folder from which to import a CAD file.

I did not get a chance to try it, but the Mazak techs said the 3d only works with STL files and a max of 50 surfaces. Just a thought, keep us posted if you get it to work...

Is 3-D assist an option, or does it come standard?

I was told 3D assist was an option. We have it and it is very cumbersome to use and it will only do simple 2D features. I've messed with it several times and get frustrated every time I try to learn more about it. It pisses me off Mazak has absolutely no training examples on how to use it. The VERY knowledgeable apps guy that came out to train us on the machine (Integrex i-400S) was even green to the feature and struggled to make it work.

Far as I know it is not an option, if it was you would not see the soft key for it.

The mazatrol 3D option on the list is for special mazatrol units for 3D curved surfaces. I've seen a couple machines with it, but never seen it used before.

You need to use a parasolid or STEP file (unsure of STL, I have not tried it). It will not recognize other file formats, I tried with a DXF last week and nothing showed up.

I would make sure the folder you place the file you want to pick has no spaces in the name, I've often seen that be the cause of the control not recognizing things.

It is also very important that your part model matches the orientation of how you will machine the part, with coordinate system located where you will program off of. You'll have better results with all entities other than the model removed as well, no wire frames, planes, etc.

The workflow is a little odd the first couple of times you use it, but once you get that down it can make programming WAY quicker. I use it all the time, let me know if you have any other questions.

Yes that's the way I do it. I leave the stick in while using 3D assist, I have not tried removing it after initially selecting the file.

Mazak 3D Assist is STANDARD on SmoothX and SmoothG controls

Hi Everyone,

This is Steve Addy, owner of Addy Machinery, the Mazak representatives for the state of Michigan. Mazatrol 3D Programming Assist is a STANDARD feature found within all Mazatrol SmoothX and SmoothG CNC's. Both SmoothX and SmoothG have a standard 19" touch panel screen which is required for use with 3D Assist. Since SmoothC does not have a touch screen, the 3D Assist feature is not available on machines with the "C" control.

To see how Mazatrol 3D Programming Assist works, watch this detailed YouTube video:

Addy Machinery - Mazak Mazatrol 3D Assist Programming - YouTube

There are THREE versions of the Mazatrol Smooth CNC:

SmoothX is standard on all Mazaks capable of 5-axis simultaneous such as Integrex, Variaxis, and Vortex.

SmoothG is standard on all Mazak HMC's, upper-level VMC's such as VCN, VTC, and upper level turning centers such as Quick Turn. SmoothG is optionally available on any Mazak which ships with the SmoothC control.

SmoothC is standard on Mazak's most affordable VMC's (such as the VC-series), and turning centers (such as Quick Turn Universal). As mentioned above, any machine which ships standard with the SmoothC control can be upgraded for a nominal charge to the SmoothG (with touchscreen).

BUT!! It is important to know that ALL THREE versions of the Smooth control (X, G, and C) possess the VERY SAME CNC processor, and all three ship standard with the ultra-high-speed machining software. There are only TWO differences between the X/G controls and the C control which are:

(1) X and G have a front-side Windows PC which allows for easy networking and which creates the GUI, and
(2) X and G have the 19" touch screen (which is required for the 3D Assist feature).

After these two features, X, G, and C are identical.

Hope this helps!

Steve Addy
Addy Machinery
[email protected]
1-800-ADDY-NOW

I'm using OneCNC to create CAD file. Exporting as .stp file - Mazak see's the file but will not complete import - it bombs out stating a "M747SubWnd not responding" error...

Anyone with any help would be appreciated...

I'm using OneCNC to create CAD file. Exporting as .stp file - Mazak see's the file but will not complete import - it bombs out stating a "M747SubWnd not responding" error...

Anyone with any help would be appreciated...

Try exporting it as a Parasolid instead, I have better luck in general with parasolids compared to step files, whether on a machine or just general CAD work.

Back