Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by noname777 View Post
    Di the guy fix your spindle controller?
    not yet - I had to put him off till I got the capacitors and power unit working again.. After some frustrating times chasing bits, finally have it back together hoping to book the guy to come and have a look in the next week or so pending his availability..

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sophtayl View Post
    not yet - I had to put him off till I got the capacitors and power unit working again.. After some frustrating times chasing bits, finally have it back together hoping to book the guy to come and have a look in the next week or so pending his availability..
    Sounds promising. If he wont fix it, let us know. We will give some insight how to do it yourself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sounds promising. If he wont fix it, let us know. We will give some insight how to do it yourself.
    Will do... would love to fix it myself and learn more about it but time is ticking and hopefully the guy can sort it out quick.. If not - I will definitely be having a go..

jobs are stacking up and time is short..

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I hope you will never give up =)

5. Likes sophtayl, sudsy55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I hope you will never give up =)
    We can't afford to give up trying to fix these ourselves as some techs these days know nothing about them.

7. Likes sophtayl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi. have you ever done FR-SE repair where you replaced old school Mitsubishi transistors that cost tons of cash with IGBT and different firing circuit? You can buy cheap IGBT, for the price of these crazy ...old.. 40 years old design COMPLEMENTARY transistors that are installed in FR-SE???
    Yes.

I have successfully replaced the main power modules in both FR-SE and FR-SF with the more-modern true IGBT's. I never try to match the original part numbers ---- not only are they harder to find, but the original power modules are actually Darlington transistors, which are slower and less robust.

How do I match the older transistor P/N with a newer transistor P/N? I simply search Ebay for power modules of similar physical size, amperage, and voltage ratings. After finding new ones that look promising, I use Google to determine if they are true IGBT's, and if so, that's what I buy. And like I say, they have worked fine every time.

You do have to replace all of them all as a set though! The newer IGBT's switch faster, and should not be mixed with the slower original Darlingtons. I tried that once, and the drive blew the older transistors within 5 minutes.

I use the original control board, with the original DK434's (FR-SE) or DK456's (FR-SF)....although for a blown drive these often have had to be replaced as well. (I replace them all for the hell of it...haha!)

ToolCat

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cnctoolcat View Post
    Yes.

I have successfully replaced the main power modules in both FR-SE and FR-SF with the more-modern true IGBT's. I never try to match the original part numbers ---- not only are they harder to find, but the original power modules are actually Darlington transistors, which are slower and less robust.

How do I match the older transistor P/N with a newer transistor P/N? I simply search Ebay for power modules of similar physical size, amperage, and voltage ratings. After finding new ones that look promising, I use Google to determine if they are true IGBT's, and if so, that's what I buy. And like I say, they have worked fine every time.

You do have to replace all of them all as a set though! The newer IGBT's switch faster, and should not be mixed with the slower original Darlingtons. I tried that once, and the drive blew the older transistors within 5 minutes.

I use the original control board, with the original DK434's (FR-SE) or DK456's (FR-SF)....although for a blown drive these often have had to be replaced as well. (I replace them all for the hell of it...haha!)

ToolCat
    yes. I think old ones, Darlington ones need less BE Voltage to open itself. IGBT might gonna need more GATE voltage to quickly charge input capacity and open CE channel. That is what I worried about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

quick update.....

Guy came out to have a look this afternoon....

Power supply was playing silly buggers and was deciding to fail while we were testing....

He noted that he had come across the same problem (exact same symptoms) once before in his time and he had traced it to a dodgy power supply. He changed Power supply and problem fixed.

Given the intermittent nature of the unit at the moment, I am going to get another supply to try. Then can investigate the board if there are still issues.

There may be other things wrong with the existing PSU beyond the Capacitors. Will investigate that separately once the machine is back up and running..

The journey continues...

(still not giving up)

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sophtayl View Post
    quick update.....

Guy came out to have a look this afternoon....

Power supply was playing silly buggers and was deciding to fail while we were testing....

He noted that he had come across the same problem (exact same symptoms) once before in his time and he had traced it to a dodgy power supply. He changed Power supply and problem fixed.

Given the intermittent nature of the unit at the moment, I am going to get another supply to try. Then can investigate the board if there are still issues.

There may be other things wrong with the existing PSU beyond the Capacitors. Will investigate that separately once the machine is back up and running..

The journey continues...

(still not giving up)
    3 month will be tomorrow since you have it. Make sure your NC memory backup batteries are good. Otherwise more drama to come.

12. Likes sophtayl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

3 month will be tomorrow since you have it. Make sure your NC memory backup batteries are good. Otherwise more drama to come.
    I put new batteries in a couple of years ago and keep them charged. I found some 2nd hand ones on ebay. Hoping for delivery in a couple of weeks maybe 3...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk