What's new
What's new

Mazak SQT18-MS Run Without Sub-spindle Drive

bigpappy

Aluminum
This may be a total shot in the dark but I'm wondering if it's possible to run the machine after a servo drive has been removed?
My sub-spindle/ live tool drive, FR-SGJ, blew some components quite some time ago, but all of the parts I've been producing haven't needed the live tools or sub-spindle so I went without.
Mitsubishi says they no longer support that drive and I would have to buy a retrofit to the tune of $12k to get up and running again.
I sent it out to CNC Drive Doctors who fixed my main spindle drive some years back with the hopes they could get this one working.

Long story short, they're still working on it and I have a rush job to do over the weekend.
I followed a procedure from Mitsubishi to bypass the drive by moving around some communication cables and setting dip switch 4 on the MC617 card to on.
I'm able to turn the machine on, home everything, jog X and Z axis', run the spindle, and even run a program.
However, I can not open the chuck to change material!!
The tool eye doesn't work either, but I can manually set those.
I've tried M codes for the chuck and the foot pedal, but nothing works.
Any ideas??

Thanks so much in advance!

Well, just in case anyone was wondering, unless you happen to have a manual chuck on the machine, it doesn't look like you can run without a servo drive.
Go figure!

In other news, my "rebuilt" spindle drive just came back in.....and is in worse shape then when I sent it out.
I'm now getting a parameter alarm.
I went through and checked each one and all looks good except for one.
F0 is supposed to read "C", but it's showing "4". For some reason, I can not edit it.
There is also a section (20-40) of parameters that are pulled from the NC.
They are actually pulling the params from the main spindle and not the sub?!

Anyone have thoughts on these new issues??
I've got some customers losing patience and am not sure where to turn next!

Alrighty, FYI to anyone reading.
There is a rotary switch on the drive which needs to be set on "6".
This must change where the drive reads NC parameters. Who knows.

Now that the parameter alarm is gone, I now get an Over Amp alarm.
In addition to that, I've lost the live tooling option on the NC.
Looks like a board may have been replaced with incorrect eproms or something.
:angry:

Last edited:

Back