What's new
What's new

SQT15MS T-Plus Mill line not straight

ManualEd

Stainless
Hi All,

Tried milling a hex on this thing for the first time.
Although the book says that it should auto comp for the cutter diameter, I had to offset my ½" endmill by ¼" to get the correct size.

Using a LFT Face option. I have an STP for the first line, and after that all lines for a FPT-R and an angle.

For some reason the flats on the hex aren't a straight line, but are rounded

Anyone experience this before?

Thanks!

IMG_3992.jpg
IMG_3991.jpg
IMG_3990.jpg
IMG_3989.jpg

How did you set X geometry for the endmill? That is usually the problem.

At first I had it set from the center line offset I have scribed on the live tool unit.
That made my hex ¼" smaller than it should be. I tried a +.25" offset for wear, which didn't help.
Tried subtracting ½" from the actual tool offset number, which didn't help.

The only thing I didn't try was milling a .25" larger hex to comp for the problem.

Would programing by XY coordinates instead of degrees help with anything?

Thanks for the replies!

At first I had it set from the center line offset I have scribed on the live tool unit.
That made my hex ¼" smaller than it should be.

You need to set the endmill the same as you would set a drill. X0 is centerline of the endmill. You set it correctly the first time.

Also, I think you are programming it incorrectly. What size hex are you trying to make? You need to program to the corners of the hex and not the flats.

Your program with .87" on the hex will make a hex with a distance across the flats at 1.507". If you are trying to program a hex of 1.74" across the flats, you need to change your program to 1.004" on each line.

You need to set the endmill the same as you would set a drill. X0 is centerline of the endmill. You set it correctly the first time.

Also, I think you are programming it incorrectly. What size hex are you trying to make? You need to program to the corners of the hex and not the flats.

Your program with .87" on the hex will make a hex with a distance across the flats at 1.507". If you are trying to program a hex of 1.74" across the flats, you need to change your program to 1.004" on each line.

Oh FFS.

When I looked at this sample program in the manual, I thought it was 70mm across the flats of the hex, but its 70mm across the CORNERS. I feel like a putz.

IMG_3994.jpg

When I let it run the first time and it milled a tiny hex, it looked pretty good to me.
I think this should solve the problem.

Thanks a lot Phil!

Back