What's new
What's new

SQT200MS Air Leak

gmc1724

Aluminum
Hi, I've just been to look at a SQT200MS 1998 T+ lathe that's being sold at auction. Whilst inspecting the machine there was a loud air leak coming from the main spindle area, not knowing this machine I can't think of anything in that area that would require air, any thoughts anyone?

Hi, I've just been to look at a SQT200MS 1998 T+ lathe that's being sold at auction. Whilst inspecting the machine there was a loud air leak coming from the main spindle area, not knowing this machine I can't think of anything in that area that would require air, any thoughts anyone?

Ok, so I ended up buying this machine, stills tons to get through but it looks like the air "leak" is something Mazak describes as an "air-curtain" which is piped into the bearing shroud behind the chuck. Is this an option? Can I just plug it? It uses up an awful lot of air and is quite noisey....

Ok, so I ended up buying this machine, stills tons to get through but it looks like the air "leak" is something Mazak describes as an "air-curtain" which is piped into the bearing shroud behind the chuck. Is this an option? Can I just plug it? It uses up an awful lot of air and is quite noisey....

The air curtain is designed to keep coolant and other contaminants out of the spindle bearings. My new Integrex i-400S has the same feature. Older machines did not have it, but I would assume Mazak added it to their machines due to early bearing failures. Our non-Mazak VMC also uses an air purge for the spindle bearings.

It's your machine. Up to you what you do with it.

The air curtain is designed to keep coolant and other contaminants out of the spindle bearings. My new Integrex i-400S has the same feature. Older machines did not have it, but I would assume Mazak added it to their machines due to early bearing failures. Our non-Mazak VMC also uses an air purge for the spindle bearings.

It's your machine. Up to you what you do with it.

Thanks Phil, should it really be that noisey though, it sounds like a broken air line.

Back