SQT200MS Air Leak
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default SQT200MS Air Leak

Hi, I've just been to look at a SQT200MS 1998 T+ lathe that's being sold at auction. Whilst inspecting the machine there was a loud air leak coming from the main spindle area, not knowing this machine I can't think of anything in that area that would require air, any thoughts anyone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Probably the air line going into the tool eye that blows on the eye when you are touching off tools. Just a guess though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by chad883 View Post
    Probably the air line going into the tool eye that blows on the eye when you are touching off tools. Just a guess though.
    Cheers, I was worried it was maybe some kind of air mist lube system for the spindle bearings

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gmc1724 View Post
    Hi, I've just been to look at a SQT200MS 1998 T+ lathe that's being sold at auction. Whilst inspecting the machine there was a loud air leak coming from the main spindle area, not knowing this machine I can't think of anything in that area that would require air, any thoughts anyone?
    Ok, so I ended up buying this machine, stills tons to get through but it looks like the air "leak" is something Mazak describes as an "air-curtain" which is piped into the bearing shroud behind the chuck. Is this an option? Can I just plug it? It uses up an awful lot of air and is quite noisey....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok, so I ended up buying this machine, stills tons to get through but it looks like the air "leak" is something Mazak describes as an "air-curtain" which is piped into the bearing shroud behind the chuck. Is this an option? Can I just plug it? It uses up an awful lot of air and is quite noisey....
    The air curtain is designed to keep coolant and other contaminants out of the spindle bearings. My new Integrex i-400S has the same feature. Older machines did not have it, but I would assume Mazak added it to their machines due to early bearing failures. Our non-Mazak VMC also uses an air purge for the spindle bearings.

It's your machine. Up to you what you do with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Philabuster View Post
    The air curtain is designed to keep coolant and other contaminants out of the spindle bearings. My new Integrex i-400S has the same feature. Older machines did not have it, but I would assume Mazak added it to their machines due to early bearing failures. Our non-Mazak VMC also uses an air purge for the spindle bearings.

It's your machine. Up to you what you do with it.
    Thanks Phil, should it really be that noisey though, it sounds like a broken air line.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Phil, should it really be that noisey though, it sounds like a broken air line.
    Unfortunately, yes, it sounds like a broken air line. I wear earplugs all day in the shop so it doesn't bother me.