What's new
What's new

Surge protection

ManualEd

Stainless
I'm going through our insurance renewal and they're asking about surge protection on our machines.

Does a 1996 Mazak SQT15MS MkII have any sort of built in surge protection in case lightning or an incoming power problem?

Thanks!

I know this is an old thread, but recently a surge put my Takisawa TW-30 out of operation, it's been down for almost three months now.
This is cow country and the local farmers mix manure and water and spray it on the grass fields to increase the yield, the cows then eat the grass, kind of circular.
One of the farmers or his employee set the irrigation wrong and sprayed cow crap on a high tension line, that caused a short of course which tripped a big breaker, almost immediately the power came back on and my whole shop went dead as the main breaker to the shop tripped.
So far the bill is around $18000 and I still don't know for a fact it will run again. Down time is not covered by our insurance.
So I too have been thinking about surge protection, for at least two machines running at the same time. Is there such a thing? What kind of money is involved?
Thanks,
parts.

is this what you need? put in parallel as much as your budget allows it
13.jpg

it is a very complicated matter , in your case, you lost power and then the power was back. Think about it as a big power supply loaded onto very long cables (transmission lines) . You trip it, it goes into emergency and disconnect itself. once issue is removed, it is back. Now transmission line is inductive plus capacitive load. There are 2 laws to follow. You cant stop current trough inductive load, if you break the line, it will manifest itself into a huge spark. Capacity of the load is what charge it during initial process. Second one is capacitor absorbs the current up to a certain point, then it is charged.

Any drama with your grid can be broken down like that:

-voltage is gone, than come back with huge spike that is determined by transmission line characteristic
-power of this SPIKE is impossible to calculate.

these are all my ideas just to explain the nature of power in grid line.

Best idea is get INDUSTRIAL UPS (cost lots of money), or DIESEL generator to avoid dealing with cowboys , or
install surge suppressors as much as you can afford and hope for the best. Some of them have reaction time PICO ( -9) seconds and that is very impressive.... but in real life they are all designed to burn themselves out while protecting you stuff. That is the nature of the ultra fast diode or super fast transistor. It will protect your machine while burning itself.

There are a.c. load centers that have surge protection built in as well as separate units.

Many choices are available as this is nothing new.

First step since dealing with an insurance company is to ask IN WRITING for a document specifying exact needs as given the amount of choices you could easily spend good money on a good but wrong product.

We had panels with built in blocks that were between the meter and distribution.

They were 200 amp panels both single and 3 phase.

Also check with equipment manufacturers as suggested types as they know what does not work.

Bear in mind many surge protectors are installed on a dedicated breaker as the folks that install them are not directed to protect specific circuit so the device is mounted to panel and wired to a breaker.

We picked up a collection of smaller protectors good for say a cell site.

One is wired as above to protect the whole box and additional units on the circuits of equipment that need them.

This is really simple stuff but it requires correct engineering first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back