What's new
What's new

T32-2 - 803 data not found

punkbg

Plastic
I have 2 almost identical QT8s with T32-2. One of them has the EIA/ISO option, one of them - not.
On the one with the EIA/ISO option it is only possible to run EIA/ISO programs, as every possible attempt to check the toolpath of a Mazatrol program results in "803 - DATA NOT FOUND" error.

I have localized the problem to the MC116 board, as if I switch the boards between my two lathes, and the EPROM and EEPROM on it, I can run both types of programs. Unfortunately, this makes the other machine unusable, as it would return the same 803 data not found error.

Now I can only do Mazatrol programs on one of my machines, and the other should be stuck with the G-code option only. I could probably live with that, but I do prefer to be able to program in Mazatrol also.

The interesting part, for me, is that by switching the boards, the programs and the tool data move with them, which means that there is a lot more data stored, than what is in the two EPROM's, that I'm able to copy. Does anybody know where this data is stored, and is there a way to copy it from one board to the other? Is there a procedure for a hard reset of the board (I already did the procedure with the two DIP switches, but no luck)?

---

And a second question, as I wouldn't like to open another thread - do you know a good software that can backup my Mazatrol programs on a PC by using the serial port? I tried a lot of softwares, but it seems there is some special protocol, which even the Mazview demo was able to only read when ISO programs are being transferred. No luck with extracting mazatrol ones. I'll be happy to be able to transfer the binary back and forward, I do not need to edit the mazatrol program, as I read that those kind of softwares tend to be incredibly expensive.

Thank you for reading :)

Have you tried copy the eproms from the working board and burn new eproms on the non working board?

Maview is designed to transfer mazatrol programs, tool data, chuck data and parameters. (I use it every day)
If you cant get it to work there is only 3 things that can go wrong.
1, Serial port settings on PC
2, Serial port settings on Mazak (Parameters)
3, Cable

What settings do you have?
How is the cable setup?

Have you tried copy the eproms from the working board and burn new eproms on the non working board?
Yep, first thing I did, no matter what combination of EPROM/EEPROM, the 803 Data error is there, until I switch the MC116s.
As it turns out, EIA/ISO works pretty basic, also, with the defected MC116 - I have G00, G01, haven't tried G02/G03 yet, but I hope at least they work OK. Unfortunately, no cycles (G71-76) are working - the error I get is 944 - No designated program, whenever I try to use a cycle. When I switch the MC116, both 803 and 944 errors go away and I can make fine Mazatrol and EIA/ISO programs.
What I strongly suspect is that the cycle definitions for both EIA and Mazatrol programs are corrupted or missing on the MC116 somewhere. I'd probably need to replace the MC116, but the price of it is 1/5-th of the price that I bought the lathe for, so I will currently put that thought on hold.

What settings do you have?
How is the cable setup?
I tried with almost all the settings I found in the internet 7data bits/8 data bits, 2 stop bits, even parity/no parity etc..., and with 3 different variations of the cable, including the recommended in the Mazview help file. These days I'm going to make a final version of the cable, according to it, due to the fact that you confirm it usable, and try once again. All I managed to receive is an ISO program along with a lot of jibberish, with the PUNCH TAPE option, which I do not consider a success, because it is most probably one way communication. From what I've read I'm supposed to use the CMT I/O protocol, but no luck there.

I managed to run Mazview on one of the machines, as it turns out, there is something wrong with the RS232 port on the one that I was trying at first. Mazview, even the demo version, works good, I can download programs and parameters now, and if I move the MC116 board from one machine to the other, I'm capable to transfer the stored in it programs. Thanks for the affirmation that Mazview should work, benganboll!

For the 803 and 944 errors, unfortunately, no luck. I'm pretty confident that the problem is in the MC116 board, as replacing it makes all the difference. Unfortunately, the Mitsubishi guys told me that for a small fee of 1500€ they will come to diagnose the problem. I'm now looking for assurance that the MC116-s are all the same, as I would probably be able to order an working board with some warranty for 900-1200€ from e-bay.

The 803/944 problem is seriously driving me insane now, the only thing that I haven't tried is replacing the logic ICs from the working board to the "not working" one. Those are the small marked PLxxx from what I found by their # in the internet. I consider this test quite risky, so I'm probably not going to do that, if I don't find some assurance that it would be harmless if done correctly. There is a MC116 board "for parts" for a much more reasonable price that I consider buying, but as it is still not "cheap" in the sense of "two packs of cigarettes" I do still hesitate. Any input is greatly appreciated.

I have QT8 with T32-2 and SQT15 with T32-3. I have (had) similar problems. First the RS232, I had laptop and RS232 USB emulator. I burned three MC712 boards from QT8 with the setup before I finally understood the USB emulators are the problem. I use Mazview for data transfer. The RS232 is actually in the MC116 where it goes to MC712. There is a port in MC116 too, and you can change from MC712 to MC116 data transfer with one bit in parameters. I burned even the MC116 with the USB adapter... I bought MC116 from Ebay, and everything was different with that card. I spent atleast a day to get all again working. All parameters are on MC116. Then I bought normal PC and a RS232 board that goes straight to motherboard. No problems after that. So, my advice is, Mazview is good, but dont use USB based adapters..

I have a question too. The SQT15 have two problems, and both seem like there is problems in the T32-3 basic program. The first problem is I with live tools and Restart. If I use Restart and Roughing it works. But if I try to Restart and Finishing (so it runs only the last small amount for getting the measure of the part right) it will run as fast as the servo can make it go and crash to the part. I did this three times and nearly crap my pants every time. It goes so fast its not possible normally. Mazak say it must be in core program problem. Second problem is tailstock. It works manually. And it works by M-code if its on the first line of program. But if M-code is in middle of program it dont work. I guess this is also in the core program. The question: is the main program on the MC116 too? Is it possible to download the main program somehow from the QT8 to SQT? I know the difference between them is only in the parameters. The QT8 has also all live tools in program, just need to activate them in parameters.

I'm currently using my USB RS232 adapter, that I have been using with my other machines, which have different flavours of controlls - ETA17-s, Siemens 802, now Mazatrol - for each I have made a custom cable as they vary for the different interfaces (male 9pin, female 9 pin, female 25 pin). The USB adapter works just fine with all of them, once properly installed. Although I'm sure that there are some poor cheap USB adapters out there that might cause problems, mine, although as cheap as they get - works flawlessly for more than 10 years now.

While I was trying to eliminate the 803/944 problem, I was able to successfully copy the programs from the .00 zone of one of the MC116s and then transfer them to the other with Mazview, by first erasing the old ones with -9999 or "program erase" for a single program - both commands work fine. Didn't work for my problem, but if your troublesome behavior is with EIA/ISO programs, might be worth a try. From the names of the subprograms in the .00 zone, however, I believe that they are used mostly for parametrically defining cycles, except for the first one - "TEST MODE" - which is uneditable, but copyable and the hex editor showed minor differences between both my machines. You might try replacing this one (if your problem is with EIA/ISO), but as I almost do not know anything about the things that I talk about, I do not recommend it by any means, it's just a vague suggestion, at best.

Just a quick update about the 803/944 problem in case someone in the future searches for it and finds this thread. I bought a new (for me) MC116 for a third of the requested price for just a visit from Mitsubishi, and all I had to do was to just put my parameters EEPROM in it, reinitialize the board, and now I have a working machine.

I do believe that the problem is in the software and could be solved by Mitsubishi, but the price of their services is just not worth it with the current market of second hand parts.

Back