What's new
What's new

T32-B QT15 breakdown horrors continue.

Embrey

Cast Iron
ive had this lathe not even a year. was broke when i bought it. and about every time i fix it, it breaks again. this makes the 3rd time. its NEVER had an issue when im using it. its always when i come back to power it up later, it has some new thing to teach me. first was a bad board in the panel. then batteryboard issues.i JUST got through getting all my parameters and tool settings back where i liked them again a couple weeks ago. turn it on today and the hydraulics never power on. all i get is this new MAZAK T32-B screen ive never seen before. and at the top says, "run error at or near $004C0D96" so, now im kicking my self for buying this POS. ive never had this much issue with a machine in my life. (yes i know its old. lol). but dang the thing is awesome when it works. its just annoying as hell when i know hitting that power on button is bad before i even do it. any info on how to track down what $004C0D96 is referring to?

went back hours later and tried again. now when i power on, the CRT doesnt even come on period. but i hear the same "on" click as before. now, it DID do this exactly 2or 3 months ago. but a couple days later i went back and it powered on fine. ugh. hard to say

...Wait a couple days....

Sorry - I know that was useless, and you're in a frustrating spot, but it had to be said after plastikdreams' post...

That crap drives me crazy, but on the upside, as hard as intermittent issues are, they usually also indicate that nothing is seriously wrong. Just some issue you have to track down and solve.

Remember - My #1 rule I've told others when helping to debug something like this... 99% of all electrical problems are mechanical. You can usually see with your eyes what has failed or why it has failed. Not all the time, but a lot of the times.

Sorry - I know that was useless, and you're in a frustrating spot, but it had to be said after plastikdreams' post...

That crap drives me crazy, but on the upside, as hard as intermittent issues are, they usually also indicate that nothing is seriously wrong. Just some issue you have to track down and solve.

Remember - My #1 rule I've told others when helping to debug something like this... 99% of all electrical problems are mechanical. You can usually see with your eyes what has failed or why it has failed. Not all the time, but a lot of the times.

There really was some truth to my posts...everywhere I've worked cnc type machines were always left on.

There really was some truth to my posts...everywhere I've worked cnc type machines were always left on.
i agree with you on that. but its just not practical. at all. lol. nor would it be smart to leave a bunch of stuff running with no one there days,weeks, months on end lol

i agree with you on that. but its just not practical. at all. lol. nor would it be smart to leave a bunch of stuff running with no one there days,weeks, months on end lol

Ok let's turn the proverbial page...sell it and get something else. Personally I probably would have thrown something at it by now or beat it with a hammer...I have rage issues with that kind of tomfoolery lol

ya know. if these things were lighter, i would. lol. im starting to wonder if this could be related to the battery issue i just had a couple months ago. all was good till that. this is the first time ive left it set for more than a week, so i was kind of seeing if it would retain parameters this time. although, its never powered on with this error/screen before. and is there some kind of error list i can find out what that number even refers to?

ya know. if these things were lighter, i would. lol. im starting to wonder if this could be related to the battery issue i just had a couple months ago. all was good till that. this is the first time ive left it set for more than a week, so i was kind of seeing if it would retain parameters this time. although, its never powered on with this error/screen before. and is there some kind of error list i can find out what that number even refers to?

I feel ya bud, electrical gremlins can be a real pain, especially when you don't know where to start. I'm sure at some point someone here will have some advice...better than mine at least :)

well, i got in the back this morning with the power off, and as i kinda suspected, my new battery from a month ago is no more. dead as a hammer. after power on , it starts gaining voltage and almost got up to the 3.6 the battery is supposed to have. so , not sure how this translates into the issue i had powering up,since before when it was dead, i was still able to get going after reinitialization. now i had this error, and currently have zero screen to even see what i have to deal with. but one thing is for sure, either my new batt is crap, or more likely, something is wrong and draining it. among other things

I built a small power supply that I put across the battery when I had a QT10 that would sit off for weeks at time. Worked well and I never had parameter issues.

I built a small power supply that I put across the battery when I had a QT10 that would sit off for weeks at time. Worked well and I never had parameter issues.

i have been thinking of doing just that, if this is a common thing. my mill has never been any sort of issue whatsoever. would you mind sharing what you used? message me if you dont mind

For the battery issue i have a seperate charger connected to the batteries that is powered from the input side of the power switch so that when you turn off the machine the charger is always on. As for the other issue you could leave it on and just switch off the hydraulics so that the only power consumption is the fans and the main panel. Not expensive or too much noise to listen to. Only thing that would stuff it up if the power goes out

yeah. thats the thing. not real practical to leave on. i run everything off converters,so i hate to just leave that stuff going while im not there. which can be quite a lot sometimes. plus, as you said ,power goes out. and around here, for some reason, it happens way more than it should for no apparent reason. i even leave the breakers off when not used cause ive had storms feed back and blow fuses in my other machines before

There was a guy here on PM a while back selling a full T32 control rack with all the cards for ~$600. Would be worth the gamble...as that's a cheap parts-bill on an older Mazak.

Yes, when they run, the older QT's are some of the finest CNC lathes ever made!

ToolCat

Just an odd thought. Check every single mechanical electrical connection twice. Remove boards, examine contact areas, clean as necessary. Unplug ribbon cables and put back together (don't forget the locking levers) Also use a screwdriver to lightly tap on the relay board, board with lots of little black rectangles on it. Screwdriver trick solved a major issue on one of my machines. Over 10 years ago and its still running.

That's a really good rule to observe.

Just an odd thought. Check every single mechanical electrical connection twice. Remove boards, examine contact areas, clean as necessary. Unplug ribbon cables and put back together (don't forget the locking levers) Also use a screwdriver to lightly tap on the relay board, board with lots of little black rectangles on it. Screwdriver trick solved a major issue on one of my machines. Over 10 years ago and its still running.
thats probably my next step after getting a new battery..again. lol. i actually bought 2 batteries that were only 1.2 volts in the package. i had to return those and order another one from somewhere else to get one that was 3.6. i also believe this may be the same thing that happened last time since my screen is now blank again. last time i just had a blank screen. 3 days later , everything worked. the relays were exactly my thought last time. i had this issue years ago on my mill. wouldnt come out of not ready status. and i never heard the "click" with the on button. my shop was colder than normal. about 40 degrees. cause im not there every day to keep wood heat going. eventually i got it about 70 in there for a whole solid day. turned it on, and bam, it came right on

Back