What's new
What's new

T32B - what is “tool eye comp” used for and best way to get dia you program

M K

Cast Iron
Hi

I have a Hyundai Quick Turn 15n with Mazatrol T32B

I have been dialling in my tools to try and get the exact measurement programmed or as near as when running a program but I still end up with parts that are off on O.D. and I.D slightly

The tool eye is always slightly off even after spending hours adjusting the b63/b61 tool eye parameters and chasing my tail, although I have just found out you must home the machine after each tool eye parameter change which I did not know? but as I’ve read some are not that accurate at the best of times so what Ive tried instead is, in manual mode I turn a diameter for each tool and then go to tool data and select “Teach” then input the exact diameter actually cut, then I make another cut to check to make sure it is correct, so all tools are spot on........BUT

When I then run a Mazatrol program and measure the turned diameters they are back off again, anywhere up to .5mm worst case!!! Why is this when I used teach and dialled them in spot on? Am I doing something wrong here?

I understand I can iron out small errors by measuring the difference and adding/subtracting it to the “wear” column for that tool but can’t see why it can be so far out on a program and spot on when tested and set using the “Teach” function in manual mode

Also as per thread title, what is the column “TOOL EYE COMP” used for?

And my last question regarding to wear and adjustment is if I run a program and the part has a roughing tool and a finishing tool, and the od is too big or too small, which tool to you adjust the difference to? Or both?

Thanks
Marc

Also as per thread title, what is the column “TOOL EYE COMP” used for?

And my last question regarding to wear and adjustment is if I run a program and the part has a roughing tool and a finishing tool, and the od is too big or too small, which tool to you adjust the difference to? Or both?

Thanks
Marc

Marc, I'm sorting out the same issue. I've been using tool eye comp to make all adjustments and while this is effective I don't think it's how I'm supposed to do it.

My thought is use tool eye comp for initial setting of a new too. Or insert then use wear comp separately to track tool consumption? I presume the values just sum to provide a total comp value.

You could check if your tool tip is centered with the spindle axis on X0. If it is not aligned, when you measure your tool manually turning i.e. 30mm cylinder, your tool will turn the right diameters around 30mm, but when you turn 20mm or 40mm your dimensions would be off, due to the tool not being at the correct height.
I use the "tool eye comp" for certain tools, which do need the same correction every time they are measured - for example one of my threading tools always need X-0,04mm offset after measuring, so that is what I have there, as the offset specified as "tool eye comp" is not cleared on tool measure.
For the last question - the tool that provides the final dimension is the finishing tool, so it would most probably be off if the end outside diameter is bigger, except if the roughing tool is WAY off and the finishing tool has to cut A LOT more, which is rarely the case. If an outside diameter is smaller, the error might come from either of the tools.
If you have problem with tool measuring, you should always pause the program between the roughing and the finishing operations to check if the roughing tool is cutting to the final size + 2*finishing offset.
But IMHO you'd better find out where the 0,5mm offset come from before you go AUTO...

Back