What's new
What's new

Tapered Tornado Interpolation

Tony Valentine

Plastic
The machine being used is a Mazak Nexus 10800-II
It uses Mazatrol Matrix

I am programming a part that needs a tapered hole in it. I need to rough out the hole before using a tapered endmill to finish it. Is it possible to circle mill using the tornado option at a taper?

example:

It will be a thru hole that is 90 mm deep. The finish size will be 50 mm on one end with a 7 degree taper, and the back side will end up being about 27.9 mm. I would like to drill a 27 mm hole, and then rough it out to a mm oversized.

Thanks for any input- Tony

I've done it before, but it was a 45° taper. It took quite a bit of time for it though. probably easier to do it with a manual program over a circle mill unit. I run 640, haven't got to mess with the machines with matrix yet. I assume there are quite a few things that are a pain on 640 that are easier on matrix. sorry this doesn't help much, but I'm sure it can be done, there is probably just an easier way.

If someone else has this problem, it can be machined with the "Spiral" machining option. Have to write a manual program to use it as it is an EIA option, but it does work just fine.

Back