What's new
What's new

Tool Data Page

Blackhawkxp

Plastic
Couple of questions on how to setup the milling heads in the tool data page on T32-3 control. Just trying to mill some flats in a rod similar to my earlier post. First off is this possible with the 90 degree head with only C axis? I am not sure what best practices are for this type of process. I need the tail stock for support. If it can be achieved is the X0 set at the tip of the end mill to the center line of the part? So basically i am looking for a quick explanation on inputting information in the tool data page. I am setting up tool 16 with a 5/8 end mill and it is the 90 degree head. I am not sure how the tool length is set.

Attachments

• 20191101_113828_resized.jpg
    20191101_113828_resized.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 20191101_113759_resized.jpg
    20191101_113759_resized.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 20191101_113807_resized.jpg
    20191101_113807_resized.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 49
Couple of questions on how to setup the milling heads in the tool data page on T32-3 control. Just trying to mill some flats in a rod similar to my earlier post. First off is this possible with the 90 degree head with only C axis?

Milling the flats as you described in your earlier post with a 90° head is not possible with just a C-axis. You would need a machine with a Y-axis.

The only practical way to mill flats like that with the 90° head is to use a tool that is larger in diameter than the part (like a face mill) and take it in several passes. Tailstock center would likely be in the way as well if milling a small diameter part.

To set tool lengths on a 90° head, simply probe the end of the endmill with X axis. Z axis tool lengths are set so the center of the endmill is the face of the part. You can probe the edge of the endmill on Z axis, but you then need to move the geometry in by half of the endmill's diameter. The Z geometry value will then be to the center of the endmill. I have the Z geometry of my 90° tools written on the machine so I just input that number whenever I need it.

That is what i was wondering. On the tool data page they have have a holder type column. Is there somewhere that describes what the holder types are?

That is what i was wondering. On the tool data page they have have a holder type column. Is there somewhere that describes what the holder types are?

The holder types in my older machine are listed as 1-4. Yours is the next generation control after my T-3 so not sure this will apply or not. Basically the different holder types just call up different tool graphic dimensions when looking at the Trace screen. It doesn't affect anything with the program or operation of the machine. It just shows a general shape of the active tool on the Trace screen.

For my machine, the tool holder types are as follows:
1= OD turning tool
2= Boring station
3= Straight milling tool
4=Angle (90°) milling tool

Thanks. I was wondering because it didnt really change anything. I got my test part made this afternoon. On the mill portion of the program that you sent me you use .7 on the x. I am trying to figure where this number is calculated so my best guess is that since it is a 1" part you take half the diameter and then 1/2 of the tool diameter (3/8 end mill) add those together and then add a bit for clearance? Is that correct?

20191101_160902.jpg

Thanks. I was wondering because it didnt really change anything. I got my test part made this afternoon. On the mill portion of the program that you sent me you use .7 on the x. I am trying to figure where this number is calculated so my best guess is that since it is a 1" part you take half the diameter and then 1/2 of the tool diameter (3/8 end mill) add those together and then add a bit for clearance? Is that correct?
Yes .

Back