What's new
What's new

Mobile Long-Life Coolant

Neslob660

Aluminum
We have a mix of Mazak turning centers (QTN-MY's, QTN-MSY's and Multiplexes). I am working on a preventative & routine maintenance program that we can schedule with JobBoss. I have tried using the "MAINTENANCE CHECK" feature within the control, but there are too many hands on it, that can't leave it alone, and it's too easy for then to zero it out and say it's done.
Anyway, my real question is: Does anyone really "change" their spindle coolant every 6000 hrs as recommended? Or do you just "top-off" when needed? The only coolant you are supposed to use is Mobile Long-Life Coolant and that stuff is expensive! I have never seen it go bad, but I'm sure that at some point it does. As far as topping-off goes, none of my turning centers leak spindle coolant so a 5 gallon jug lasts quite a while. I just hope I'm not setting myself up for failure. Any experiences or advice you could share would be appreciated.

Brian

" Are you talking about the "Head Stock Lubricant?"

* If so, we top it off as needed, when the alarm comes on, we top it off.
**We have a 5 gallon bucket which was purchased over 6 years ago and it is not even half used, it goes a long way, as it should, because as you say "IT IS EXPENSIVE"
(( it has kept our 4 turning centers going strong for almost 10 years ))

That's my 2cents worth, hopefully it helps you out!

" Are you talking about the "Head Stock Lubricant?"

Yes, Head Stock Coolant/Lubricant. That is more/less the same way we do it here. I was just wondering if anyone actually changes it out as recommended, or if any problems occurred from broken down Head Stock Coolant.
Thank you for your reply!

Brian

Last edited:
Not sure if you are supposed to say this on here.....but finding the right source for the Mobil Long Life Coolant is key! Purchasing from OEM for that item is killer, there are options.

I used to do preventative maintenance planning.

We would estimate the 6k hours and turn it into so many months at that interval if the oil is expensive and we didn't think it needed to be changed we would take a sample and send it off to a lab. Lab results would tell us new intervals based off of actual usage.

The oil may be expensive but a spindle rebuild isnt cheap either .

Mobil Long Life Coolant source??

Not sure if you are supposed to say this on here.....but finding the right source for the Mobil Long Life Coolant is key! Purchasing from OEM for that item is killer, there are options.

That's my question, what is the right source for this stuff? Is it available in 1 gallon jugs anywhere?

I personally get mine changed with the yearly service. Never had it go bad or had to top it up.

Then again I only cut plastics and alu so I never work them hard.

Does anyone know if there is a cross reference to Mobile Long Life. I am looking for something that is a bit more affordable and not in such a large quantity. Only a couple gallons at most.

Can some type of glycol based automotive coolant work?

Right there your second sentence....thats all this is 50/50 mix should do it.

BTW if any ones machine needs to be topped off you got a leak/problem. So far in 20 years this is my 2nd change on a sqt250.

So any long life coolant. Doesn’t matter for what make or model. Or should I stick with a coolant for imports since it’s going in a Mazak...haha

So any long life coolant. Doesn’t matter for what make or model. Or should I stick with a coolant for imports since it’s going in a Mazak...haha

Guess you guys up north importing in from south, i would not pick the cheapest but some good brand name... still saving shit load of $ over buying from Mazak.

Back