What's new
What's new

VQC 20/50A Checking box ways

mada87

Aluminum
Does anyone know how to check the fit/preload on box ways (and adjust if need be)? I think that my machine (VQC 20/50A) may have loosened up and it is causing it to chuck/bind some as the machine moves.

Thanks

crank the gibb till its tight,back it off a smidge

sorry
its all i got

i would imagine there should be virtually no side to side play as shown on an indicator and a big bar
one of the real techs will probly have something for you

but i do know my 20/50b needed new turcite after 24/7 for a shorter time than you would wish (maybe 5 years)

id give a hard look to those thrust bearings too.
bad thrust bearing and a climb cut on a mill will jump around like a bunny rabbit

See attached pictures.

Is this what you would tighten? This assembly is mounted to the top of the Y axis saddle and appears to have 2 plates(pads) that ride on the top of the y axis box ways. When you tighten the adjustment bolt it compresses Belleville washers which then put load on the plates/pads.

way 1.jpgway 2.jpg

Before I make adjustments I want to verify that the ways are indeed loose. I removed the timing belt and I can move the y axis by turning the ballscrew by hand quite freely, making me think that it isn't loose and chucking as I thought. Any other ideas on how t check the tightness of the ways?

Thanks

im not sure what you got there
doesnt look like gibs that i have seen
looks more like a parallelism adjustment but i really can't say for sure.
on closer look i see the bellville washers that really confuses me
in all the mazak books i've seen gibs are gibs so i really have no idea what we are looking at
tightness?
try and see if you can force axis perpendicular to direction of movement with an indicator on side of axis looking for movement
should be little to none
how 'bout them thrust bearings?

Back