What's new
What's new

VTC-16B questions

messar

Aluminum
I am (perhaps foolishly) looking at a VTC16b. It would end up going in my garage, so it's a bit ambitious size wise I know. The adder is that it's currently non-functional (supposedly CRT driver board is out, not sure condition of the rest - I'd need to go see it first).

Some questions
-First and foremost, does anyone know the height of the machine with the head all the way down? I'd assume I'd need to remove the energy chain - how big an issue is this?
-Pluses and minuses of this machine? I know the spindle speed is slow (for aluminum), but looks like it would be a good fit for Ti work.
-The machine as configured does not have a chip conveyor, only the chip pan - this looks like a PITA - is it possible to retrofit the conveyor?
-Is there anything else I should be looking at on the machine.

Thanks,

matt

I don't think you'll ever get it through a garage door. But I could be wrong. I'd look into the price of parts and service first. If it's not running, free could be a rip off.
The chip tray was one of the most poorly though out designs in history. Coolant runs through the chip pan back to the coolant tank. To shovel out the chip tray you need to pull it out. No problem if it's first thing in the morning, but if you're doing a lot of cutting and you need to shovel it out during the day, guess where all your coolant goes? Ya, all over the floor.

Thanks for the comments - parts is a big concern for sure. I found out a bit more about the machine - sounds like the display is out (although the pictures show it working, so red flag here).

I agree garage door would be sketchy - I would plan to remove the header to fit a machine in (bonus of crappy construction I guess - I have 2 doors, one with a 2x16 header, and the other just framed in - bracing around the smaller one temporarily would be straightforward.)

Thanks again for your inputs.
Matt

Back