What's new
What's new

Vtc20b

BT Fabrication

Titanium
So looking at a Mazak VTC20B, anyone have experience with this machine and the traveling column setup? Seems to be not a ton of information on it. Looking at purchasing a used one

I have a 30C and a 300C. I think your model has an umbrella tool mag at right side? Lot of travel when loading a lot of parts. Look for guide wear closer to tool mag. 300C has mag traveling with head, 30 does not. But I run the crap out of my 30c. On second X ballscrew, 4th spindle. Ballscrew was worn because the oil emitter was plugged. Took 12 years to show signs of wear. Spindles run max RPMs a lot because we do only thousands of pounds of plastics year.
Currently looking at a new 200C. But they gotta fit it through a 120" door. I would go for 300C but just too wide for that door, even with wrenching on building and machine.

that is correct, there is an umbrella tool changer on the right side

I will have to check the tool changes number close on this one then and check for wear.

and no doubt 211″ x 137″ x 126″ is a big machine. I could fit it through my 16' door but then no room to place it in the shop

My oldest is a 30C and is 112" front to back. Not including the control, that was inside the enclosure when it arrived. And the rear sheet metal was off. Fit through a 10' x 10' door.
With clean hands you grab the ball screw with a firm grip. Look for very fine sparkly stuff on your hand. Rinse and repeat with linear guides.
My 30C and 300C have the rear panels stored. Never put them on as machine was placed back to a wall with just enough room to get back there for maint. Some sort of gate at each end to make tech happy.

The VTC16/20's are ergonomic mills to set up and run.

I run reverse vices on my 16B, so the reach-in is very minimal.

The tool drums on the right side are a tad slower (as the traveling column has to come over to it), but being adjacent to the control is VERY handy when setting up and inspecting tools.

Like any cnc machine with linear guides, if worn excessively they are replaceable in-shop.

Mazatrol milling will do about any 2.5D work you need to do...once you get the hang of it. That generation Mazatrol can't do 3D, so as with other cnc mills Cad/Cam is required.

ToolCat

Is the M32b an ok controller or the newer M plus a better control from a 1998 machine?

As far as the cnc control itself, the M32b and M+ aren't all that different. However, the M+ (and T+) use the newer generation Mitsubishi MDS-(A, B, C1, D) spindle drive, servo drives, and separate high-voltage DC power supply for the drives.

The M32 (and T32) uses the previous generation (and more trouble-prone) -- but still very common, FR-SF spindle and MR-S- servo drives.

ToolCat

Back