What's new
What's new

Y-axis partoff on Mazak MSY Lathes

Goblin_Tinker

Plastic
Anyone using Sandvik's Corocut QD y axis partoff tooling? How are you setting things up and handling programing? Does Mazak have a toolpath for this or will it need a manual program? This will be used on a SmoothG QuickTurn 250 MSY. Thanks!

This will definitely need a manual program to execute but doable.

Also, the machine does not tie SFM into Y-axis motion so you would need to program a series of lines to increase the RPM as the diameter decreases if you want to emulate a constant SFM while parting off.

This will definitely need a manual program to execute but doable.

Also, the machine does not tie SFM into Y-axis motion so you would need to program a series of lines to increase the RPM as the diameter decreases if you want to emulate a constant SFM while parting off.

Actually if you do G96 P2 it will use the Y for CSS. I know for sure it works on Integrexes because I've used Y-axis parting blades on them. An EIA manual for SmoothG Quick turn shows the same thing, but that may require an extra software option. In which case you use Phil's approach. My sandvik rep gave me an excel calculator for doing it, worth asking your rep for the same thing. They are getting this questiion a lot on all machine brands as these tools see more interest.

In any event, it will need to be programmed in EIA, there is no Mazatrol support for this yet.

For the tool itself, I set the Y shift in the wear offset for the tool in tool data. Should be 0.276" or 7mm as I recall.

Thanks for the input. It looks like the G96 P2 should work.

I have not done much with EIA or macro on the Mazaks yet. Is there a way to reffrence the material diameter and part length from a Mazatrol program in an EIA or macro?

Thanks,

Back