What's new
What's new

Y axis setting on Mazak T Plus

dalewrc30

Plastic
Can anyone help with resetting the Y axis offset on my T Plus eqipped SQT15MY.It appears that the tooling is sitting around 0.040" under centre.I've checked the parameter list and the only one thats seems likely is the B65 setting but I'm not too sure if thats correct.

Dale

G’day Dale.

Backing up a little. Chicken or the egg thing. Is there any reason why the tooling is suddenly 0.040” out? Has the machine had a hit. If the turret has rotated, just changing the offset, will have you chasing your tail. Have you tried clocking the tool seat, to see if its parallel with the X axis. If you have tool lengths that vary, and the turret is not radially true. It will change at different X positions / tool lengths

Regards Phil.

I'd agree with Phil, him and the whippin' boy set me straight on a QT20. What I absolutely knew was the problem, was only a small part of the problem, taking their advice helped immensly. Basically don't assume you know what it is, start checking everything, indicate indicate, test cut, adjust, indicate, test cut, indicate etc...

On a long shot, based on what little I know about the Y axis on a mazak. Doesn't the screw run at an angle? and has to be synchronized with the X axis? Possible when your homing that your picking up home as one revolution of the screw off, which due to the angle could be as little as .040 of Y travel? Just a shot in the dark.

I've not had this machine long but it was supposed to have been checked before it was sent to me.I can see that after facing off a piece of steel and then bringing a spot drill mounted in a live holder up against the face that it is this far under centre.I had been wondering if this was a problem as I'd been getting really odd looking insert wear when using a boring bar.
I'm a real novice to CNC but the local agents here arent much unterested as I didnt buy the lathe through them so I'd prefer trying to sort this out myself.

Dale.

Who’s your agent there AMT?. First and foremost, Lets piss who ever told you that it was O.K off. Before we go changing grid shift’s. We need to check a few things first. To get it to face off correctly, are you having to shim your tools. I:e, The turret is low?

Have you got a finger style dial indicator. Can you set that up, so that it registers on the tool location slot. The face that the bottom of your tool would sit on. Then jog your turret up / down in X axis, and see if that’s out. It might be O.K, in which case, moving the axis is the answer. Some one may have had the motor or encoder off.

Regards Phil.

Phil,

it is facing off and turning the o.d no problem.I had to reset the parameter for the tool eye to get the -x right but that seems to be correct now.

One thing that is worth mentioning is a macro that is called out whenever you use the tool eye or home the Y axis.

Make sure this never gets deleted or the machine will not be able to operate.

This macro is hidden and only consists of a few lines.

If anyone ever reinitilizes the memory its gone and must be enetered by MDI.

This was a tuff lesson and most Mazak techs dont know its there.

We had it happen on a SQT18MY and took a lot of looking.

Regards

Back