What's new
What's new

Z servo strength

Yukon Eric

Plastic
We have a mazak super quick turn 250 with live tooling. We have a new part that gets a 5/8 x 1.00 long bronze bushing pressed in it.

I would like to bore the hole to size with .0005 press fit, m00 the program have the operator slide the bushing onto a mandrel, then press the start button and have the machine press the bushing into the part. Then finish bore the hole to size.

Are the servos strong enough to push the bushing in?

You have a clever idea there and I cant tell you if it would work or not but I can tell you the actual servo strength is probably the last thing to consider.

My main concern would be keeping the turret alignment straight. I have no experience with that lathe in particular but by design most lathes don't require much of a bump to knock them out.

It may not move much but the force could push it a few tenths and then after 250 parts your realigning the turret.

If you have a programmable tail stock I would try to use that 1st.

Pneumatic cylinders can be bought for cheap cheap cheap...

I probably have some new ones laying around here if you want me to build you a quick and cheap pneumatic pusher.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

You have a clever idea there and I cant tell you if it would work or not but I can tell you the actual servo strength is probably the last thing to consider.

My main concern would be keeping the turret alignment straight. I have no experience with that lathe in particular but by design most lathes don't require much of a bump to knock them out.

It may not move much but the force could push it a few tenths and then after 250 parts your realigning the turret.

If you have a programmable tail stock I would try to use that 1st.

Yes that was my second concern. I am going to call our service tech next week to see what he says. Knocking the turret out is the last thing I want to do.

We have about a 1000 of these parts to make, if I can save (2) secondary ops. We are money ahead..

Sounds like the machine won't be cutting whole inserting bushings

Aweful expensive machine to push bushings [emoji38]

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Or make up a "C" fixture that has a tail that slips behind the part (in between the chuck jaws), then has a cylinder or screw to press the bushing in. Think long, short-jawed C clamp with bushing guide on screw end.

Saves part removal without risking any bearings or alignments on the machine. Cheaper than downtime and repairs...

Yes that was my second concern. I am going to call our service tech next week to see what he says. Knocking the turret out is the last thing I want to do.

We have about a 1000 of these parts to make, if I can save (2) secondary ops. We are money ahead..

I have the ability to realign my turrets so I wouldn't think twice about giving it a try with having a 1000 parts to run. If you do go this route I would set a load monitor on the z axis in case for whatever reason the press fit goes from .0005 to .005.

If you can monitor and keep the load in check I wouldn't think it would be much different than pushing a large drill.

I have the ability to realign my turrets so I wouldn't think twice about giving it a try with having a 1000 parts to run. If you do go this route I would set a load monitor on the z axis in case for whatever reason the press fit goes from .0005 to .005.

If you can monitor and keep the load in check I wouldn't think it would be much different than pushing a large drill.

Thank you everyone for your input. We don’t align out turrets, so we would have to pay mazak to come in a do it. So we are going to try using the tail stock.
The hole is is a concern, we will have to have the operators check it real quick before installing the bushing.

Back