What's new
What's new

Andrew's Shop

n47ie5

Aluminum
I'm new here so I thought i'd take a few minutes to post some images of my cramped shop. Very tight space.

lathes.jpg

The LeBlond and Sidney lathes

mill.jpg

The mill

3phase.jpg

Three phase breaker panel and converter. I have a complete 3 phase system that is fed from the main panel. The controller for the converter is on the other side of the door.

foundry.jpg

The foundry furnace. The mold bench is behind the lathes.
There's also an old drill press and one other small LeBlond lathe in the shop and it's a tight fit in here, hope you like it....
Andrew.

nice shop. I like how you have your little lathe laid out with the big ones! Do you incorporate a spindle speeder also. Just kidding, you know you have a good sized lathe when you can chuck a chuck.

Rosie

Yes the mill is a Wells-Index mill. Some of the large items are drilling related such as putting a new tool joint on a bit, making custom fishing tools etc. I've made large shafts too. Then i've had my share of smaller items. I don't make any one thing, but depends on what someone wants. I've done fabricated parts that get machined, had some large tractor castings that were a pain to chuck. Even made piston rings for my own shop air compressor. Last week I run 1/4" NPT thread on a 304 stainless piece I was working on which I done in the big LeBlond lathe, I didn't have a die that would cut it. That's why I had that little chuck still in there. Here's a nice example of a cable tool joint, it's a tapered pin that is threaded, 2x3x7. This is a swab I was making for cleaning wells-
rig_tool-1.jpg

MBB- yes that is a 1/4 scale traction engine my dad and I built from scratch in 2000-2001. The wheels are unpainted because we just made those last summer. The originals were a bit smaller, and not really the right size.

steam_engine2.jpg

MBB- yes that is a 1/4 scale traction engine my dad and I built from scratch in 2000-2001. The wheels are unpainted because we just made those last summer. The originals were a bit smaller, and not really the right size.

steam_engine2.jpg

Awesome!:D

I wish I could build that! My dad is too much of an alcoholic for father/son outings. And my wife is a crazy l3itch so I'm not allowed to have fun.

Back