Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

...good thing it was "the boss"...

2. Likes Philabuster, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is the new mill, almost ready for work:

I could not be happier with the deal I got on this gem.
    Just need to fill the coolant tank, and get some vises in it.
    Can't wait to put it to work. Hoping by the end of the day.
    I went with the same vises again. I talked them in to honoring the last price I paid, is the only reason.
    (no way I would pay their current retail)
    But, I use the center holes to bolt them down. And they are full of casting flash.
    First job for the manual mill. Clean up hold-down holes in new vises.

Edit: a couple details that hint at the condition of this beauty.
    Original paint on the back wall of the enclosure. It is still there in an SS machine.

Screen printing over the cycle start/stop buttons is still flawless.

I don't know how to explain how lucky I feel to have bought this machine for the price I did.

And, I don't understand why he was having problems selling it. I guess people are afraid of older machines?

4. Likes DrHook, Ox, JP Machining, sawmill, Philabuster and 7 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Speaking of manuals:

They are finally live! Gonna be sooo nice.

6. Likes DrHook, JP Machining, sawmill, Philabuster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And here is where the old gear-box mill was parked:

That's a wrap! Back to work!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I see Loki, the Norse God of Mischief has visited your shop too. Apparently gets great joy from playing with coolant hoses....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    Things must have been going too smoothly.
    It would appear the boss forgot to connect the coolant line after the move, and told his guy the machine was "good to go!"

Kinda like picking a boy-child that grins and pees on your shirt. You clean it up and go on with life.

What are you going to do with all that open space? I thought your shop was like a WWII submarine. Pull in your belly to move about.

Tom

10. Likes Perry Harrington liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TDegenhart View Post
    You clean it up and go on with life.
    Pretty much. Tommy felt terrible cause he hit the green button. I had to make sure he knew that one was totally on me.
    We both cleaned it up though.

Quote Originally Posted by TDegenhart View Post
    What are you going to do with all that open space? I thought your shop was like a WWII submarine. Pull in your belly to move about.
    Kinda strange how it opened right up after that giant materials rack left the room.
    The full-size VMC that took its place takes up less room.
    I don't think I am going to miss Dino-saw either.

12. Likes TDegenhart liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't think I am going to miss Dino-saw either.
    There ya go, talking in absolutes again!

14. Likes Philabuster liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ahhhh, I love the smell of fresh coolant in the morning!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

16. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Things must have been going too smoothly.
    It would appear the boss forgot to connect the coolant line after the move, and told his guy the machine was "good to go!"

My floor looked similar when I put my last newsed VF-2 first into service.

Turns out the coolant was getting out between the sheet metal and the base casting (where the two are bolted together on the floor of the enclosure).

I cleaned it good and used urethane caulk and the sumbitch still leaks a little!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And here is where the old gear-box mill was parked:

That's a wrap! Back to work!
    How do you manage chips with that big plastic garbage can? I ran older Haas that had the chip auger and we used small rubbermaid style tubs so we could manhandle them into the dumpster. I can't imagine trying to lift that thing, even if it is only aluminum. And it is probably too flimsy to get with a forklift. I love that where I am at now we have 55gallon drums with dollies for chip management!

p.s. Done the coolant thing once or twice myself. Not as messy as when I left the door open on the wire edm though...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use a cut up 35 gal drum, for aluminum it works fine and can fill it before emptying, steel you need to empty it more often.

Looks like a counter ht lista cabinet could replace that big rolling stand thing and gain a few more sq ft back, course have to find one for reasonable price and with a couple big drawers for toolholders, but doable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hmmm, that does raise a question...

Be'inst that you are in a suite type set-up, where doo you doo with all your chips.

I have three 12 yard hoppers setting out in the snowbank here, but that plan likely doesn't work for you guys there.

???

-----------------------------

I am Ox and I approve this h'yah post!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post

Be'inst that you are in a suite type set-up, where doo you doo with all your chips.

I have three 12 yard hoppers setting out in the snowbank here, but that plan likely doesn't work for you guys there.

???

-----------------------------

I am Ox and I approve this h'yah post!
    You wait for the dark of night when all is quiet. The guard has just made his last round. Quietly, you load the swarf in the truck and take it to a dumpster with a plastic lid. Quick look about, good, no one is out. You and the hunch back er Tommy quietly empty the swarf. Quick! Back in the truck! Don't slam the door! Git out of there.

That's how it done.

Tom

22. Likes yardbird, pianoman8t8 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post

Be'inst that you are in a suite type set-up, where doo you doo with all your chips???
    Aluminum gets put in 55 gal plastic drums with lids and taken to recycling via pickup, along with aluminum solids. Steel / plastic / mixed crap / etc. gets tossed in the dumpster in the daytime. No secret OPs necessary.

Same thing I do at my own home shop, except all trash MUST be bagged (per my city) to keep alley and the neighborhood clean. Seems dumb but it does make a huge difference.

24. Likes wheelieking71, elmss12 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It gets old humpin' 55 gallon drums to the scrap yard. But if it's the only way.........................I'm glad I made my 1 yrd boxes. Makes for a lot less trips to the scrap man, 'bout once every 2-3 months.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bill,

Have you talked with any local scrap yards about getting containers set on your floor? The one we use is about an hour from us.

They came in and dropped off four of these yellow totes which I believe are 2 yard totes. We use 2 for aluminum, 1 for steel, and 1 for 303 only stainless steel. Plus they leave two 55 gallon steel drums for solids, 1 for aluminum, and 1 for steel.

All I have to do is shoot an email over to the sales rep. once a month or so when they get full, and their lift gate truck shows up a couple days later with replacement totes, and hauls away the filled ones.

The whole process takes about 15 minutes.

I only get charged a $35.00 "haul fee" (MUCH cheaper than hauling it yourself) and a check shows up about 10 days later with my payment.

Later,
    Russ

27. Likes cnctoolcat, pianoman8t8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Speaking of manuals:

They are finally live! Gonna be sooo nice.
    Make sure the motor on that Sag 12 is turning the right direction Others as what seems natural Up is normal turning
    Otherwise the gearbox gets no lubrication

Peter

29. Likes wheelieking71, mbraddock, shaggy liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bill, Give Turbine Alloys a call. 602-258-5885. They have different size bins that they can drop off. I use the 4x4 bins here as well as 55gallon drums for when I change materials from steel/aluminum.

They pay well per lb and pickup/drop off. If you have a problem with your chips that is. If not keep using who you are using.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So, chip contamination in the tool pockets of the tool-changer in my oldest machine has been an issue from day one.
    It is a side-mount changer. But, it was wide open under the changer. No guards or tin-work like most HAAS machines have under the side-mount changers.
    I ran it for a few hours Friday morning, and cleaned the spindle taper out between every part change with a spindle wiper.
    Every time I put that thing in the spindle it came out with chips on it! Then I inspected the pockets of the changer.
    They were atrociously contaminated with nasty old coolant, and chips everywhere. It was horrid.
    Like I said, I have known about this from day one. But, like most things, there was never a good time to do anything about it.
    I had my local HAAS HFO parts guy try to find the factory tins that should have been there. He came back at me with $2k if they would even make them (obsolete).
    I tried to get some local fab guys to come in and make something for me.
    But, I guess nobody wants to work these days. Guys all act desperate, gave me ball-park figures based on pictures. And all proclaimed they needed work.
    I offered double their numbers! But, out of three different guys, who were all within a few buck of each other, zero of them showed up.

Well, even though the timing for this project was terrible the time was NOW!
    Tommy spent the end of his Friday cleaning the coolant-tank, and tool-changer. He did a fantastic job. The pockets were spotless when he was done!
    I spent about 2hrs Friday after he went home measuring, and drawing. And, most of Saturday building this:

Was a little worried about building it at home instead of dragging all the fab tools to the shop. But, I was worried for nothing.
    It ended up fitting perfectly!

That should be a huge improvement to that machine. Today I am going to rig a skimmer permanently to the coolant-tank.
    I don't know what it is about this machine, but, the coolant is always-always nasty. A fresh sump will stay clean for about a week.
    Then it is nasty. Slimy, leaving a heavy, sticky film everywhere. This compounded the issue with the tool-changer.

I am hoping between the chip-shield, and skimmer. The chip/coolant situation, down in that old beast is resolved.