Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    I would drain the oil and inspect is as best you can. Even flush it with some solvent to see what kind of particles are in the bottom that did not drain out (Dont mix solvent with oil). If the oil and solvent come out full of metal just pour the oil back in and let them take it. If it is clean maybe you get them to ship you new seals etc to stop coolant from getting in?
    As soon as you open it up, You have accepted it. Now it is yours. At least that would be the argument.

2. Likes TDegenhart liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2outof3 View Post
    I bet that your family attorney would tell you to take your money back and get on with your life. The seller is offering a remedy that is costing them money not the buyer. Why would you want to keep working on the deal, with someone you don't trust and what other outcome do you expect? UCC law will not force the seller to spend money to make the buyer happy other than return the purchase price and cover freight.
    This is what I am in the process of finding out. If that is the way it is? So be it. I have a decision to make.
    Here is what I feel is a reasonable solution:
    They cover freight, and cost of inspection at the repair facility, as well as freight back to me. At least.
    That way I could decide if I want to pay to have it repaired. I don't feel that is unreasonable.

That is nothing more than they should have done before they even listed it for sale. But, they couldn't even be bothered to look in a sight-glass.

4. Likes Rob F. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As soon as you open it up, You have accepted it. Now it is yours. At least that would be the argument.
    That is what I figured. And, exactly why I offered to do it on video in an email, At their request.
    Only way I will open it, is if I decide to just suck it up.

6. Likes Rob F., 2outof3 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I bet that your family attorney would tell you to take your money back and get on with your life. The seller is offering a remedy that is costing them money not the buyer. Why would you want to keep working on the deal, with someone you don't trust and what other outcome do you expect? UCC law will not force the seller to spend money to make the buyer happy other than return the purchase price and cover freight.
    With your supposed knowledge of the law, I suspect you've been sued a few times.

It's quite likely the family attorney may well tell me to take a hike and come back when there's something more important to get worked up over. On the other hand if their bored they may fire off a letter or two.

personally I don't think the HFO should get off lightly with this one, don't forget, when they get it back (if it's returned) their going to flush out the debris, fill it with oil and sell it again as a good unit. If this deals causes them some stress, it's richly deserved.

8. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post
    With your supposed knowledge of the law, I suspect you've been sued a few times.

It's quite likely the family attorney may well tell me to take a hike and come back when there's something more important to get worked up over. On the other hand if their bored they may fire off a letter or two.

personally I don't think the HFO should get off lightly with this one, don't forget, when they get it back (if it's returned) their going to flush out the debris, fill it with oil and sell it again as a good unit. If this deals causes them some stress, it's richly deserved.
    Being in the business for 30 years, I have been part of one law suit. Settled after everyone spent way to much time and money. If you want to feel resentment, sit for a deposition. I know about UCC law because I have thirty years of doing this. I am still no lawyer. I am lucky that I work for a company that employs a very large law firm with an expert in UCC law. That is all he does. We listen to him and we do our best to stay out of trouble but real disagreements still happen.

If you read the note from Bill, the seller already admitted he was selling for a customer. Most likely, it will go back to that customer. Either way, why would you want to be the one to give the HFO a lesson? What is your real benefit of that. The company will claim, they made a mistake. The product was misrepresented to them. They are sorry and want to give you the customer their money back and pay for all freight.

10. Likes DavidScott liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

why would you want to be the one to give the HFO a lesson? What is your real benefit of that.
    For the next guy! That is why. And, I don't necessarily mean the next guy to own this trunnion.
    So, they may adopt the practice of knowing what they are selling? So they can stand behind it in a morally confident, and ethical manner.
    And, in their benefit: not put themselves in this situation again.

But, the truth is, they are used machine tool dealers. They don't give a shit.

12. Likes triumph406 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Consider the scope in a different light.

You go to a Ford dealer and buy a Ford Explorer, the vehicle is represented as having no problems.

You get it home and it has a blown head gasket.

The Dealer says "Sorry, we took it on consignment from a customer and had no idea it had a blown head gasket"

Then they offer to give you your money back and "make you whole".

Most likely the dealer will tell the consignee to come get their crap after it comes back.

However, there is no excuse for the dealer not doing due diligence and representing the item to be in a condition it is not.

At the VERY LEAST the dealer should be held accountable by some authority for misrepresenting the particulars of a transaction and item for sale.

14. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Harrington View Post
    Consider the scope in a different light.

You go to a Ford dealer and buy a Ford Explorer, the vehicle is represented as having no problems.

You get it home and it has a blown head gasket.

The Dealer says "Sorry, we took it on consignment from a customer and had no idea it had a blown head gasket"

Then they offer to give you your money back and "make you whole".

Most likely the dealer will tell the consignee to come get their crap after it comes back.

However, there is no excuse for the dealer not doing due diligence and representing the item to be in a condition it is not.

At the VERY LEAST the dealer should be held accountable by some authority for misrepresenting the particulars of a transaction and item for sale.
    It is called Yelp and public opinion. If you screw people over as part of your normal business, you don't last.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    For the next guy! That is why. And, I don't necessarily mean the next guy to own this trunnion.
    So, they may adopt the practice of knowing what they are selling? So they can stand behind it in a morally confident, and ethical manner.
    And, in their benefit: not put themselves in this situation again.

But, the truth is, they are used machine tool dealers. They don't give a shit.
    Well, if it is a HFO, they do care. They may have got a little careless but in general, they can not afford to screw people as a general rule. They make more money by selling lots of Haas machines than this table. If it is some used dealer with no ethics, you will not teach them ethics with this deal. You will just frustrate yourself and waste energy. Post a Yelp or Google review and get on your way. But in this case, the review would look like this. Guy sold me a questionable rotary table, I complained, he said he was sorry, he gave me my money back and paid all costs. That does not sound terrible to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    It is terrible.
    My electrician when I moved in here was slimy. The people we just used to put a new door on the front of the house were slimy as hell.
    Phase Technologies is slimy. The last surgeon that worked on my leg was a slimy POS!
    Everybody puts on a front, until something happens and then they show their true colors. I'm fed up!

I am fed up with people not taking responsibility for their actions.
    sounds like you need to stop sorting your searches by lowest prices when you buy stuff

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Insert View Post
    sounds like you need to stop sorting your searches by lowest prices when you buy stuff
    Sounds like you haven't bought much used equipment. Sure the low price may be suspect but a fair price doesn't mean anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidScott View Post
    Sounds like you haven't bought much used equipment. Sure the low price may be suspect but a fair price doesn't mean anything.
    not one of those items is a used piece of equipment.

secondly, if I received a pile of crap and the seller/dealer was willing to take it back, it would be returned before I finished reading the email. No point in dragging it out and looking for trouble, but some people like to look for trouble.

20. Likes 2outof3 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Being in the business for 30 years, I have been part of one law suit. Settled after everyone spent way to much time and money. If you want to feel resentment, sit for a deposition. I know about UCC law because I have thirty years of doing this. I am still no lawyer. I am lucky that I work for a company that employs a very large law firm with an expert in UCC law. That is all he does. We listen to him and we do our best to stay out of trouble but real disagreements still happen.
    There's certainly a danger using an attorney in the family who isn't versed in something like UCC law, or in an aspect of the law that they typically don't handle. So having free legal help isn't all it's cracked upto be (sometimes)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The replacement drive for my only 5x capable machine just landed. It has had a blown B drive ever since I bought it.
    I didn't know until the machine was here because a slimy salesman didn't disclose the info! Imagine that! (lessons, so many lessons)
    I'm gonna swap it out, and fire this trunnion up. See if it even works. Then check backlash.

23. Likes DavidScott, Rob F. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Okay, "uncle". I give!
    This thing is a POS! I can measure about .012" backlash at about the 5.75" mark on the platter.
    It sounds terrible! And, wont always power up. I keep getting either A-servo error too large. Or, B-overload.
    The one time I was able to get B to rapid, it sounded like marbles rolling around. This thing is chowdered!

I guess I'll call US-bank monday Andy, LOL