Close
Login to Your Account
Page 253 of 254 FirstFirst ... 153203243251252253254 LastLast
Results 5,041 to 5,060 of 5063

Thread: B&A Precision

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe the A/C will have a fighting chance this year? Hoping for a little more pleasant summer inside the shop.

20190402_104845.jpg

20190402_104933.jpg

The two biggest heat-makers are now outside. I don't know how much difference it will make. But, it will definitely help.
    I ordered up the steel to build a cage around the whole mess for security purposes.

First thing I have noticed. The fans in the Phase-Perfect run just a fraction of what they used to run.
    Before, once the fans kicked on, they were pretty much on all day. Now, they are constantly cycling on/off.
    That proves my theory that it was just recirculating the hot air tucked in that corner like it was.
    I wonder if the heat could have contributed to the premature capacitor failure I experienced?
    Although, I called and ordered new caps for it last week. And, the tech I was talking to told me flat-out: the CNC users have more problems than anybody.

I also learned that the jack-ass I was dealing with at Phase Technologies during my episode, is no longer with them.

2. Likes JP Machining, allloutmx, Ox, slnielsen, SND and 3 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am jealous, I would love to not hear mine for a while. I swear mine is cell phone activated, need to call someone it runs, answer the phone, it turns on. At least I get my exercise walking back and forth to the office so I can listen. Thanks for sharing.

Charles

4. Likes bryan_machine, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CBlair View Post
    I am jealous, I would love to not hear mine for a while. I swear mine is cell phone activated, need to call someone it runs, answer the phone, it turns on. At least I get my exercise walking back and forth to the office so I can listen. Thanks for sharing.

Charles
    Heat is obviously the main reason they went outside. But, I'm not going to lie. I am quite tired of listening to them as well.
    It was so peaceful in here today. Even with end-mills singing away.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Dakota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That SX-5 is a sweet machine! I have the SX-5T at work, which I ordered based largely upon your "review" in these pages. It's more than I really need, but WAY better than the old 2 lung noisy water pump which was here when I started!

7. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    I wonder if the heat could have contributed to the premature capacitor failure I experienced?
    Definitely. Heat will shorten a capacitor’s lifetime as much as anything. In electrolytics, the electrolyte dries out and the capacitor has reduced capacitance or shorts out.

—-Bob.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In hopes that I will get busy again some day, I have been on a tear ripping through a whole bunch of maintenance around here.
    Been noticing the output voltage of the Phase-Perfect creeping up a few ticks. And, some weird noises as the HAAS spindles ramp up.
    Not wanting to go through "the nightmare" again, I ordered up new filter caps from Phase-Technologies.
    I would venture to guess they are aware there is a design issue after comparing the new replacements to the originals:

20190404_182059.jpg

20190404_184159.jpg

20190404_174448.jpg

Not only physically much larger, the voltage rating is up from 370V to 480V. Should be a huge improvement in reliability.
    The origami factor during install has increased as well, LOL.

10. Likes n3cvl, chip_maker, SND, Philabuster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice wiring job outside it looks clean

12. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

370v seems a little borderline for a 240v system.

Most VFDs and switcher supplies use 400v rated caps for this side of the world (I know one is DC and the other AC).

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What's the intake going on?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by chip_maker View Post
    What's the intake going on?
    The old Dodge. Tired of trying to tune the 50yr old 2-barrel.
    Choke linkage is worn out. It sticks slightly closed, making it a bitch to start after warmed up.
    It is super lean at idle, kinda fat at cruise. Crappy mileage!
    Neighbor gave me a Edelbrock 1406 he has had on a shelf for 20 years. I still have a pile of metering-rods and jets for AFB's.
    I might even remember how to work on one if I try real hard! LOL, its been quite some time since I played with this stuff.

16. Likes chip_maker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Are you leaving the capacitors on the bottom of the enclosure and using a new longer wire harness or what's the deal here?
    They're a effing nightmare to replace in their spot that's for sure, horrible design to put them there, and the older blue units were even worse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SND View Post
    Are you leaving the capacitors on the bottom of the enclosure and using a new longer wire harness or what's the deal here?
    They're a effing nightmare to replace in their spot that's for sure, horrible design to put them there, and the older blue units were even worse.
    No. I put them up in their cubby where they belong. Was not really a fun job.
    You have to leave the bracket loose, and tilt it to get the caps to slide in their holes.
    They made a noticeable difference in the sound the unit makes while it is on. And, voltages are now rock-steady again.
    I have 241 in, and 241/242/241 out.
    And, the funky buzzing noise it was making when the HAAS spindles ramped up is gone.
    I would strongly suggest everybody upgrade to these new caps.

19. Likes Ox, Philabuster, SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Notice difference in the sound? Are the silly things quieter now? If so I'll call on Monday and order them for my 30hp unit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rbent View Post
    Notice difference in the sound? Are the silly things quieter now? If so I'll call on Monday and order them for my 30hp unit.
    The unit itself just sounds "smoother" (for lack of a better term).
    And, I was hearing a distinct buzzing sound when the HAAS spindles would ramp from 0rpm straight to 12,000rpm.
    As soon as the rpm stabilized at 12k, the buzz stopped. Neither the Brother or lathe spindles would cause this noise though.
    That could have something to do with the fact that there is a large transformer between the Phase-Perfect and the Brother/lathe? IDK?

Just for giggles I went and listened to the panel on the house before I swapped the caps to see if there was any noise there like last time.
    There was no noise at the house.
    I wish I could have had the neighbor put his O'scope on it again before I swapped them. But, he was out of town.

Another thing to note (and, I have mentioned this already) the thing is way happier outside. The fans only run a fraction as often as they used to.

22. Likes Philabuster, SND liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Dakota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Edelbrock…
    Years ago, I acquired a used Edelbrock Performer for my shop truck, and had a "time" trying to get it to run. I ended up calling Edelbrock tech support, and they sent me a small box of misc. parts and a phone number to call for instructions. I made changes as instructed, tested the truck as instructed, called them back with results, and repeated that process three times. When all was said and done, it ran great, and they didn't charge me anything for parts or advice, saying "you are our customer, we want you happy"... Gasoline gets "reformulated" quite often, I was told, and standard procedure for tuning the carbs is a tail chasing event, but they sent me the correct "ballpark" parts to make it less traumatic. I do not know if they still do it now, but it's worth a shot! Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The only thing I do with carbs is replace them with the great self contained TBI setups they make now.

Fuck carbs.

25. Likes Griffin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    No. I put them up in their cubby where they belong. Was not really a fun job.
    You have to leave the bracket loose, and tilt it to get the caps to slide in their holes.
    They made a noticeable difference in the sound the unit makes while it is on. And, voltages are now rock-steady again.
    I have 241 in, and 241/242/241 out.
    And, the funky buzzing noise it was making when the HAAS spindles ramped up is gone.
    I would strongly suggest everybody upgrade to these new caps.

I've noticed that buzzing when the new lathe ramps up and down on the Pt-355, its drawing "all shes got".
    I just put new caps in it mid last year but I'll probably upgrade to these in the next little while, my cnc's are only running a few days per month though so its probably fine for now. When the time comes to get a new PP I'll get the model with all the emi filtering and such, hopefully a few more years from now, maybe they'll do more upgrades by then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This thread is great, I like catching up once in a while.

With your brother I can't remember if you liked your sales rep or not. If he was decent have you given him a call? I'm guessing he's in lots of "brother shops" and might know someone with too much work or even someone looking for your machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Any luck with new work picking up a bit?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SND View Post
    Any luck with new work picking up a bit?
    Nope. Not at all.
    The A/C unit on the house that the Phase-Perfect didn't claim when it fried everything just took a shit. Not worth fixing. It gets replaced 5/2.
    A/C on the shop went down yesterday. Don't know what is wrong, but it is blowing 100A fuses. I'm getting ready to climb up there right now.
    I was supposed to start light production on the Brother back up end of May. But, the whole Hydro/ransomware BS pushed material out who knows how long?
    Even my #2 customer is dead quiet. I just ran off a batch of one part he has historically been ordering for 5 years.
    Last time he ordered them I bought enough stock for two orders because it saved me a few hundred bucks. I needed something to keep Joe busy, so we ran them.
    But, now they just ride the shelf. My luck he will phase the part out
    One small order from customer #1 in one machine right now. But, it will barely cover Joe's pay for the month.
    Also just prototyped the "next big thing" for customer #1. Looks great. He loves it. But, he wants it made from this goofy Aluminum/Magnesium alloy.
    Not really sure I want to be processing a shit ton of Mag in here?!

Just did my taxes. Not even going to talk about that.

All the potential stuff that I was trying to get rolling, and a few were even starting to look pretty good, all went to radio silence.

If ever there was a time I "should" pull the plug? It is right now.

Fuck-it. I'm going riding tomorrow!