Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    I am kind of starting to regret not selling the Brother in May when I had a buyer!
    I can easily handle the current demand for those parts in the haas right now.
    It was supposed to ramp up higher in June with a new distributor coming on board. But, no order yet.

I'm still pounding the pavement. But, no luck yet. Almost feels like I am being black-balled.

Never know, might be!

Almost all of my customers have gone away also. I've got 6 total right now and one has an LTA in place. Volume is terrible though and I've got 2 brand new haas $110,000 each machines powered off collecting dust.

2. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am at that stage of business where one can barely justify having an employee. Yet, can't quite get by without an employee.

I will not work weekends any more.

What I wish for is to wake up one morning with a great idea for some kind of widget everybody wants/needs!
    It seems every time I have a great idea, I get on Google, and find that it has already been done.
    I'm with ya on the employee schpeal................luckily I have two teenagers who like money, a kid from church that likes anything mechanical, and a father in law who gets bored puttering around in retirement. With those 4 part timers I don't have to work those weekends you mentioned too often...................

As for idears...................I hear ya. A bunch of mine are would be great products if I allowed it to be made by the Chicoms and sold for next to nuthin'.............I like high quality precision made stuff. Too bad most consumers don't. They just want it cheap with half a$$ed quality. I don't roll that way......................

4. Likes DrHook, wheelieking71, Philabuster liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    [sorry for tangent]

You seriously had not only 95*, but a "stretch" of it this year sometime?

We've been lucky to hit 80* or so only a cpl of times so far - between rains....

With all the rain - we've still been too cool most of the time to even feel humid!

I wouldn't had guessed that Tenn would be all THAT much different.

[/sorry for tangent]

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Yep. Crazy, ain't it Ox? 500 miles and that big of a difference. We had a good two- or three-week stretch of high 80s to low- even mid-90s. Plus that awful southeast humidity.

I'm a bit out of my league in this thread not being an owner or high-level manager, but thought I might share a similar story to others. We ramped up heavy this year for a lot of new lathe production, the ideal thing to put our new DS30Y to work. We've rearranged the shop to utilize the machine cell concept, added an entire 2nd shift (granted, it's two lower-end guys) and added to 3rd shift, bought a saw at our other facility for handling sawing thousands of hot roll round bar, 7", 5", take your pick... we were told at the onset we would be seeing EAU of 5000 units a year. So six or seven different parts, 1000 at a time, 5 times a year... huge money for our shop. I'm talking a 20 to 25% increase in sales just from one new customer... well, the 5000-a-year-thing is a bit doubtful. May end up being half that. Maybe 3000. Their units may not be selling like they expected. I'd say farm equipment would be a crowded market. That and, they already have a lot of their work done overseas (India, etc.), so at the end of the day, from where I sit, it feels like somewhat shaky ground.

By no way is any of this really a bad thing, nor a complaint, because it's still gonna break seven figures. A great boon for our shop, but it may not be what it could have been. It would have been so easy to over-react and buy a second new lathe (which we considered at one time) to keep up with due dates and workload, but by the second run of these parts it's clear that would have been a mistake. One used lathe for 30k was more than enough to take away what lingering work stalled keeping on this new production, compared to $120k+...

I tell you what, one thing I have seen that is a killer is cash flow. Buying material especially, plus keeping payroll going. It's crazy to think in this business, our shops have to put out the material cost upfront (for the job I talked about above, easily $60-80k at a time, all at once), but only get a return on that after the parts are made, delivered... and the "net-whatever" term. It's rough!

Same thing as above when we bought our wire EDM a couple of years ago. Promises of enough work to keep two of the bloody things running year-round. We bought one, had an awful time trying to get it to go - bad service from the seller, quite poor preparation on our part, etc. - that all the work we were promised had to go elsewhere. Two years later, sold it for half what we paid out, took that and put it towards a used Haas lathe to help handle some of our new production load. Thank God we didn't buy two EDMs.

I guess it all goes to show, unfortunately, word of mouth and expectations can't always be trusted. Sometimes it pans out, sometimes it doesn't... I reckon that's the risk in business though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    As for idears...................I hear ya. A bunch of mine are would be great products if I allowed it to be made by the Chicoms and sold for next to nuthin'.............I like high quality precision made stuff. Too bad most consumers don't. They just want it cheap with half a$$ed quality. I don't roll that way......................
    I know, your washers are holding up fantastically!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What I wish for is to wake up one morning with a great idea for some kind of widget everybody wants/needs!
    Great ideas like that are a dime a dozen. They are worthless without all the work of developing it into a finished product and making it. Now the hard part comes, trying to sell the damn things!

8. Likes Garwood liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidScott View Post
    Great ideas like that are a dime a dozen. They are worthless without all the work of developing it into a finished product and making it. Now the hard part comes, trying to sell the damn things!
    I know. And, a salesman I am NOT! Too fuckin' honest, and rough around the edges!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know. And, a salesman I am NOT! Too fuckin' honest, and rough around the edges!
    And you are out hoofing it trying to sell work... in the land of guns and defense contractors. Find yourself a part time slime ball to get some PO's cut. Gotta play to your strengths. Do you know a sales guy? Sounds like the thing you need right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by as9100d View Post
    Almost all of my customers have gone away also. I've got 6 total right now......
    I am down to two fairly steady customers. One local, one not.
    And, two or three that were never big accounts anyways.

I pushed a lot of the smaller ones away when I was so damn busy. Of all those there is only one I might be inclined to let back in.
    But, I am not sure, as his sketch factor was pegging the gauge. I still have a few sticks of material he told me to order last year, then disappeared.
    I have never even called him on it cause I would rather just not deal with the guy.
    Biker dude that I used to bitch about in the very beginning has work. But, screw that guy! He is even worse than the other guy. By a large margin.
    He actually bought a machine (haas vf0e) and would hound me all the time for "his programs".
    One day I loaded all the FeatureCAM files for his stuff on a thumb drive and said "here you go".
    He called me a couple days later and said "that does me no good!" that made me all smiley inside
    Then, when I moved, I never told the dude my new address. Then one day the fucker shows up in my driveway!
    I was fuming, told him to leave. He is lucky he didn't get his ass beat over that day.
    Then, just recently, I ran in to his old business partner (which is a common them for this guy!).
    We exchanged stories about the shyster. And, I told the guy about him stalking me, and showing up un-wanted. The guy was like:
    "Sorry man, that was my fault! He told me you guys were partners. He owned half your business. And, that you ran off with all his stuff."
    Which is exactly what he told me about a guy in Florida that used to make parts for him. I called the Florida guy, and got the exact same story:
    "Fuck that guy, we were never partners. He is a piece of shit!" So, yea, I don't need customers like that!
    Turns out the guy I ran in to recently used to be in banking, and he was able to find me by looking up my mortgage. That is how he figured out where I lived now.
    I told him there are easier ways to get somebody shot! LOL
    No skin off my back. Allison has hated the guy with a passion from day one. I couldn't argue with her. But, we needed the $$$.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizingkid View Post
    Find yourself a part time slime ball to get some PO's cut.
    LOL, how many times have you seen that work out?! Me? Exactly ZERO (out of many attempts).
    I have seen some full-time sales guys that make shit happen. But, I can not afford that guy.

13. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When it comes to products its infinite what some people will throw money at.
    I've given away bags of big Al and brass chips for "artsy stuff" pretty sure some people would buy it for a lot more than the scrap yard offers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SND View Post
    I've given away bags of big Al and brass chips for "artsy stuff" pretty sure some people would buy it for a lot more than the scrap yard offers.
    Funny.............The wife likes to entertain..............we have friends, neighbors, new acquaintances from church over all of the time. It usually ends with a shop tour. If I had a dollar for every time a gal commented on how those long curly chips would make cool art or decorations, I had have close to ................hmmmm................................$60 or so.

16. Likes SND, Garwood liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ha, I gave my mother in law a few jars of different ones as a birthday present. My wife was rather tweeked but her mother loved them and held onto them for years. Some were real nice 4140 ones off a manual lathe, lots of nice colors to them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

LOL, how many times have you seen that work out?! Me? Exactly ZERO (out of many attempts).
    I have seen some full-time sales guys that make shit happen. But, I can not afford that guy.
    I didn't say it was a gooood plan... but tough times call for some drastic measures...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizingkid View Post
    I didn't say it was a gooood plan... but tough times call for some drastic measures...
    I know. I bought some cheap beer Friday. (sad part is, I actually liked the stuff, LOL)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know. I bought some cheap beer Friday. (sad part is, I actually liked the stuff, LOL)
    I have been drinking Naturdays, natural ice with lemonade

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Haven't seen any tall parts in a while. All of a sudden, I'm running two that are about 3" tall, LOL.
    Running this lanky bastard in one machine:

20190617_072924.jpg

Can't show those parts.
    But, they are 3.250" tall. With a complex profile with some inside corners. And, need a good finish on the walls. No problem!

In the other mill, there are no inside corners. So, I was able to bust out the "big one inch" LOL

img_20190618_090252_219.jpg

This one is not quite as tall @ 2.750". But, I still wanted to get the profile in one pass for a nice uniform finish.
    Had to dial in .002" cutter comp. Here are some .002" chips:

20190618_082120.jpg

If stuff really comes in three's, I wonder whats next. I can think of one other tall one I haven't seen in a while. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Ohh, and, its that time of year again!

20190603_054546.jpg

22. Likes Ox, cpifer3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ohh, and, its that time of year again!

20190603_054546.jpg
    Eh................we have mosquitoes bigger than that.................

24. Likes Ox, wheelieking71, Garwood liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    Eh................we have mosquitoes bigger than that.................
    With Wasp engines no doubt

Tom

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks like a Haas lathe tool block

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Job Shopper TN View Post
    I'd say farm equipment would be a crowded market.
    Not really very crowded, but with many areas of the country still unplanted because of mud/underwater don't expect much for the next year. Nobody opens/closes his checkbook as fast as a farmer.