UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ohh, and, its that time of year again!

Attachment 259200[/QUOTE]

Living in California I've never seen a scorpion....those look menacing. Yes, I'm soft.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Been pretty quiet in here (still, LOL).
    Last week I cranked off another batch of those fussy little 17-4ph stainless parts for my buddy in the lathe.
    At least these ones were a little larger than the last batch. Set up and running:

20190724_090131.jpg

img_20190717_201656_716.jpg

Got to love the W&S collet pads! Next best thing to a collet chuck. A third of the way in to the first operation, 500 of them:

img_20190721_111818_538.jpg
    Tight tolerance, bar-pull work. 1500 parts. Usually I run the first side, and he runs the second side.
    This time he had me run both sides. Worked out well. The 30 second cycle of OP2 kept Joe busy for a couple days.
    I was a little worried about the +/- .0005" O/A length tolerance. But, it ended up being no problem to hit it.

The lathe has been on a pretty steady diet of stainless lately. Why stop now? Monday when I dropped that 1500pc order off,
    he sent me home with a little pile of 6" 304 for the lathe to snack on. Should be fun. I havent turned any 304 in probly 20 years! LOL

img_20190729_182017_085.jpg

3. Likes triumph406, Philabuster, Panza liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Whellie,

Did you resolve the issue you had with the ball joints on your truck?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Had a bit of a good day last Friday.
    I hit a garage sale. And, hot-damn! if I didn't find a nice Kurt vise for $100!

img_20190726_133002_154.jpg

I also scored a really nice Mitutoyo 6" height gage, Starrett adjustable parallels, and Suburban angle block. All for $200! SCORE!
    I've been geekin' hard on the vise all week, LOL. I know it is nothing special, its just an old ang-lock Kurt.
    But, I guess I am so excited about it because: I have been watching/hunting for a deal on a proper vise for the manual mill for about 4 years.
    It has been one of those things that you see deals on all the time....right until you actually want/need one! Then, they just disappear! LOL
    So, when I found this one in beautiful shape for $100 (in person), it was kind of a "lottery moment". Not one pecker-track in this thing.
    And, the bed of the vise is smooth as glass. Belonged to a tool-maker who passed in Dec. Sad, but, I'll take care of his stuff that I own now.

So, the reason I needed a vise is because: all my vises are either reversed, or doubles. If you looky here:

img_20190726_133609_191.jpg

You can see why a reversed vise doesn't really work well on a knee-mill.
    If you park it so the working area of the vise is centered on the table, the thing hangs way out the back. And, gets in to the column.
    If you move it forward to get it off the column, you have to crank the table way back. It just doesn't work out well.
    I had the new Kurt cleaned up, and bolted down as soon as I got home. I've already used it a couple times. It in super shape.

img_20190726_134452_881.jpg

Next up I want to get a quill-scale on that beast. And, I need to figure out what is wrong with the DRO. Projects...........

6. Likes Philabuster, DrHook liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post
    Whellie,

Did you resolve the issue you had with the ball joints on your truck?
    That is a bit of a sore subject, LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And.....FINALLY! I got some new work in here!
    I quoted some stuff for a local company a while ago. Enough time passed that I didn't figure I would hear anything back on it.
    Then bing, a PO dropped in my inbox. Well, cool. Something to do! 6 part#'s, low quantities, 2-8pcs/ea. It is work, I'll take it!
    Then, the guy wanted to come pay the shop a visit. In talking he figured out the shop is home based. We figured out that he lives about 3 miles from me.
    They are supplying material on most of it, so he took that as a good excuse to visit. As usual, it was not what he expected for a "home shop", LOL.
    He asked if I wanted to quote some more stuff. "absolutely"
    He fired a bunch more prints over. I quoted. Couple days later, bing, another PO lands.
    So, we shall see how this plays out. It is semi-conductor. I've been reluctant to go there pretty much since the beginning (I have my reasons).
    But, as slow as I have been since November '18? It is time! I've pretty much only had that one job (the winch hooks/fairleads) in here this year.
    The rest has been repeat work from the regular customers. And, not much of it. So, this is a really good thing.

I just wrapped up the first two parts on the first PO yesterday:

img_20190729_181234_053.jpg

20 parts#'s total now. 2 to 14 pcs/ea. Will keep me pretty busy for about a month.
    Since I am slow, I'll be able to stay focused on their stuff until I am done.
    Which is good. Because, as always with semi-conductor, rush-rush hurry-hurry.
    They call it "JIT". I call it "pull your head out of your ass and plan better"! LOL

Joe, is loving every second of it! He is getting to apply/practice his new-found skills that he has been learning over the last several months.
    Me getting slow in Nov. has really been a huge deal for him. I have been able to devote some quality time teaching him.
    Good thing he understands, and values that! Because, I damn sure have not been able to give him a raise, LOL.
    But, he has a great attitude about learning this trade. He is "all in". And, doing a fantastic job.
    He isn't quite as good as Tommy once was. But, he will easily soon surpass that level. We have had to back track a little though.
    Lately the focus has been a lot more on metrology, and proper techniques, than the machines. He will get to learn more about prints with this job.
    And, generally how to check parts. And, just becoming more familiar with using gages, and measuring. You guys get it I am sure.
    You can hand 10 guys, 10 identical parts, 10 identical calipers, and get back 10 different measurements! LOL
    You wouldn't think a guy could spend a week teaching somebody the finer points of using a set of calipers. But, you certainly can.
    I think he was getting a little frustrated at first.
    But, as I figured out ways to show him hows and whys that enabled him to really see differences and consequences, it became interesting. And, he is doing much better.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    That is a bit of a sore subject, LOL
    LOL, sorry for mentioning the ball joints! I guess their off the list for the F350

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post
    LOL, sorry for mentioning the ball joints! I guess their off the list for the F350
    Yea, Dynatrac will never get another penny from me. Nor a good recommendation.
    If I ever have to work on these again, there is a good chance I will build a hybrid axle that uses old-school king-pins.

11. Likes triumph406, chip_maker liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Your O&H will chew right through that stuff. I love those machines. Did you ever look at the size of the z axis ways on it lol. They are built like brick shit houses lol.

I have an hl20m with 20k (cutting) hours on it, I get a few tenths of thermal variation on it but when she's warmed up .0005 total is no problem in production runs in stainless. Tool wear is the biggest variable.

I do some bigger 17-4, H925 I think it is, mid 40's Rc. The right tooling is the key.

Glad to hear your plugging along, been waiting for an update B&A Precision.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

13. Likes Philabuster, triumph406 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've been reluctant to go there pretty much since the beginning (I have my reasons).
    I understand that feeling! But from the other side of the desk (used to be a project engineer at a semi equipment company). Nothing like tight deadlines, low quantities, tight tolerances, and a line of angry people out the door when everything doesn't go perfectly to plan. The money may be good, but the aggravation wasn't worth it.

Hopefully these parts work out well for you though.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well the last time I was at Phil’s shop, which was 7 years ago he had at least 15 height guages, I offered to buy a 12” starett, and he gave it to me, for free! So, I’m not sure you made a great score buying a height guage, Phil probably would give you one.

Had a bit of a good day last Friday.
    I hit a garage sale. And, hot-damn! if I didn't find a nice Kurt vise for $100!

img_20190726_133002_154.jpg

I also scored a really nice Mitutoyo 6" height gage, Starrett adjustable parallels, and Suburban angle block. All for $200! SCORE!
    I've been geekin' hard on the vise all week, LOL. I know it is nothing special, its just an old ang-lock Kurt.
    But, I guess I am so excited about it because: I have been watching/hunting for a deal on a proper vise for the manual mill for about 4 years.
    It has been one of those things that you see deals on all the time....right until you actually want/need one! Then, they just disappear! LOL
    So, when I found this one in beautiful shape for $100 (in person), it was kind of a "lottery moment". Not one pecker-track in this thing.
    And, the bed of the vise is smooth as glass. Belonged to a tool-maker who passed in Dec. Sad, but, I'll take care of his stuff that I own now.

So, the reason I needed a vise is because: all my vises are either reversed, or doubles. If you looky here:

img_20190726_133609_191.jpg

You can see why a reversed vise doesn't really work well on a knee-mill.
    If you park it so the working area of the vise is centered on the table, the thing hangs way out the back. And, gets in to the column.
    If you move it forward to get it off the column, you have to crank the table way back. It just doesn't work out well.
    I had the new Kurt cleaned up, and bolted down as soon as I got home. I've already used it a couple times. It in super shape.

img_20190726_134452_881.jpg

Next up I want to get a quill-scale on that beast. And, I need to figure out what is wrong with the DRO. Projects...........
    Last edited by alan speyrer; 08-01-2019 at 12:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pariel View Post
    I understand that feeling! But from the other side of the desk (used to be a project engineer at a semi equipment company). Nothing like tight deadlines, low quantities, tight tolerances, and a line of angry people out the door when everything doesn't go perfectly to plan. The money may be good, but the aggravation wasn't worth it.
    That is just it. Semi-conductor almost always turns in to a shit-show. Nothing but self ego-stroking, and buck-passing, has been my experience.
    I did do some production for Applied Materials back in the day, that was uneventful, and fun. But, I don't know enough people anymore to wedge my foot in any of those doors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The thing I didn't like about that type of work is "here's some random widget, make 10 of them" and you have no real idea how the thing is used or what is legitimately a tight tolerance...

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great to see you starting to get work again.

My shop is completely dead eight now over the summer.

Sendt fra min EML-L29 med Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great news to hear, Bill. We got really slow here for about a month (just long enough for the floor to catch up ) and then right at the end of July it seems like the floodgates opened up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Small update:
    No pics sorry. I toss something up on IG now & then if a guy is super curious. But, I am somehow absolutely slammed right now.
    Almost all new work. I do still have that semi-large job going from the new semi-conductor joint. But, I am very close to wrapping that up.
    The great news is I have quite the large pile of work from two existing customers. It is about an 80/20 split new/repeat.
    The new work is a godsend! I have plenty on the books to finish the year out. And 9-12/2019 will far surpass 1-8/2019 (by a LOT!).
    I'm not gonna lie, I got real close to pulling the plug this year! There was a point where it was my focus every day. "Is today the day?"
    That sucks, I'm here to tell ya! But, I am hoping for a better 2020!

I guess from a shop-thread standpoint? The biggest update would be: the "big-fat-haas" is no longer a pallet-changer.
    And, the Brother is soon to have three Orange vises on each pallet.
    If you remember, I have 10 Orange'es total. All were on the haas pallets. I stole 6 for the Brother. And, slapped the remaining 4 on one of the haas pallets.
    I am leaving the other haas pallet bare. For plate-work? Or, whatever? Maybe I will revisit the 5-X trunnion some day?
    But, for now it is just a VMC with 4 Oranges in single-station mode, in it.
    I don't have the Brother ready to jam yet. But, I'm close!

Okay, here is a quick pic, just cause (I just walked over and snapped it now):

20190912_201033.jpg

That is the current situation in the "big-fat-haas". 4 oranges. And, that is the second largest part B&A has seen yet @ 3"x 3.5"x 23.5".
    Not huge, but big by my usual standards. Been kinda cool working with some odd-ball stuff to be honest.
    I've plowed a pretty good pile of steel and plastic through here the last few weeks. The steel, and big stuff has been fun! The plastic? Not so much!

21. Likes seiner, RF, Ox, Panza, chip_maker and 9 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Glad to hear the work situation improved. We are slowly getting more orders as well.

RF

23. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We have been doing a ton of plastic. Got some 3000 ACETAL parts to make next week. I can't stand the way it makes the shop smell.

How do you cope with opening and closing all those vises manually? I've been pushing hard to start converting or buying or making a hydraulic or pneumatic setup.

Ive got a thread going over in the automation forum. I'd like to hear your input if you had a free moment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

figured you were slammed with the doors finally opening for semiconductor work....just gotta keep the course eventually, eventually things will work their way out if you don't quit, too many people throw in the towel. i'm with you on the thought we've been slammed this year just don't seem to be making headway and getting over the "hump" of the startup phase....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Small update:
    I toss something up on IG now & then if a guy is super curious.
    What is your IG handle? I can't figure it out....