Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ripper= Keith
    The Temco have a 5yr warranty , the company is USA based, but I suspect the jacks are Taiwan or China

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default B&A Precision

What the heck are you moving that you need 30,000 toe/60,000 # on top each??

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I used the Hillman tank style skates for several years. They work well as long as you modify them to connect the two fixed skates together so they cannot toe out as you roll. If the weight is not perfectly center on the skate they constantly try to toe out or in and then they will soon tip themselves over and come flying out from under the machine. I've had it happen more than once.

I just welded a piece of tubing to the end of two of them and I can connect them together with a piece of round bar. That keeps them lined up to each other. The third one I use to steer. That system seems to work fine. I like to stick a 4x4 in front of the skates so that if one decides to launch itself out from under the machine, it just drops down on the wood instead of trying to roll itself over.

I almost rolled a CNC lathe once when a skate popped out. That was quite scary.

I now use a set of these Hevi Haul skates. I have two straight skates and one swiveling. They are much wider and more stable than the Hillmans. I really like them. Utility Skates > Machinery Skates/Dollies - 80 Years, US Made | Hevi-Haul

For jacks, I have a pair of Simplex "rail road" jack. You want the ones that take a round lever, not the square lever. The difference is in the lowering mechanism. The square socket jacks are designed to drop and are very dangerous. I nearly dropped a spread axle trailer on myself when I was a kid because no one ever showed me how those jacks worked.

I also have an Enerpac pancake jack that is just the same height as my skates. That thing is awesome! I can quickly lift the machine to reposition the skates as needed.

4. Likes wheelieking71, Philabuster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know the guy who runs TEMCO, I have one of their phase converters. He's a good guy and has experience moving heavy stuff.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    Not sure if I am keen on the poly coated wheels?
    If you get skates with poly coated wheels, do not let the load rest on the skates very long. Don't ask me how I know this. I also use the Simplex jacks and am very happy with them.

7. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ripperj View Post
    What the heck are you moving that you need 30,000 toe/60,000 # on top each??

I linked the wrong jack. I meant to link this one: TEMCo Hydraulic Machine Toe Jack Lift 10 / 20 TON Track 5 YEAR Warranty 799491873575 | eBay
    20k on the toe (in case I ever manage to get that Okuma!)

9. Likes ripperj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by machtek7 View Post
    If you get skates with poly coated wheels, do not let the load rest on the skates very long. Don't ask me how I know this. I also use the Simplex jacks and am very happy with them.
    How do they (the poly wheels) roll? Seems like there would be a lot of resistance. Especially on the end with only one skate.
    The poly wheels are the only thing keeping me from buying them right now.
    I want to be in to one jack, and three skates, for under a grand (if possible).
    I don't need stuff here that is going to be up to the task of constant severe service.
    I just want stuff that will work for my needs. And, don't want to get hurt.
    This is a job I will most likely be doing alone. For a couple reasons:
    1) I work best in situations like that alone.
    2) I don't want anybody (including myself!) getting hurt.

I see there are steel wheeled skates littered all over ebay. for about $100ea. They all speak mandarin fluently.
    But, like I said. Not sever service. I have been known to go over the welds, and structurally reinforce Chinese tools before.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hopefully moving a lathe tomorrow, those toe jacks look nice. Way easier than the thin little pancake enerpac I've been using when the big track jacks dont have room to fit. Gets old using 1/4" shims to slowly raise from floor.

I too dont care for the tank track style skates. The ones I made are wood decked and about 1.5'x 2.5'. With 2.5" rounds by 3" long for wheels across the center with bearings on each wheel. Outer ends of skates have 2 wheels each raised 1/16" from center. That allows the skates to pivot easily with a centered load. Bearing specs for center axle is like 7 tons, so I figure 5ton cap each skate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

bertha-1.jpg
    bertha-3.jpg

definitely a bonus to be able to move your machines around in house...we call her bertha couple pics getting settled into the new shop...and apparently my pictures love coming in upside down through my phone

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How do they (the poly wheels) roll? Seems like there would be a lot of resistance. Especially on the end with only one skate.
    The poly wheels rolled fine. But if you leave a load on them the poly separates from the wheel. I made steel wheels to replace the poly ones.

Country
    NORWAY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If your poly-wheeled rollers are undersized or at the weight limit they roll very poorly. You will always have the machine sitting for a few minutes or more no matter what you do, so buy some skates that have much more capacity than you need. I tried to roll my NLX on skates that were at their rated capacity and there were no chance of getting it moving. With some bigger 6 wheeled skates two people could push it no problem.

15. Likes Mstcnc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I want to be in to one jack, and three skates, for under a grand (if possible).
    I don't need stuff here that is going to be up to the task of constant severe service.
    I just want stuff that will work for my needs. And, don't want to get hurt.
    This is a job I will most likely be doing alone. For a couple reasons:
    1) I work best in situations like that alone.
    2) I don't want anybody (including myself!) getting hurt.

I see there are steel wheeled skates littered all over ebay. for about $100ea. They all speak mandarin fluently.
    But, like I said. Not sever service. I have been known to go over the welds, and structurally reinforce Chinese tools before.
    You can get ones like the northern tool ones for a little less on ebay. Typical Chinese quality (mine literally say made in CHIAN), but they work.

I've got 3 of the eBay ones, and the heaviest thing I've moved with them was a 9500 lb press brake, with no issues.

New machine day...

They do have a fair bit of rolling resistance - you're not pushing the machine by hand, but as long as you have an anchor and a come along, it's not prohibitive.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I never use lifting or moving equipment to capacity. I try to use 50%. I have an 8,000# electric pallet jack that I use with 2 skates when possible. I also place 4x4's under the machine while moving in case something goes wrong it will only drop on the boards.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do the swivels on these have bearings under them?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do the swivels on these have bearings under them?
    I don't know, but you normally don't swivel the pair of skates. It would be best if you tied them together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I take it pipe is out?

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TDegenhart View Post
    I take it pipe is out?

Tom
    Yea. The base castings are not smooth on the bottom.
    There is a square dropped pad everywhere there is a foot on both the haas, and the Brother.
    Technically, it could be done on pipe. But, it would be a giant PITA and take forever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yea. The base castings are not smooth on the bottom.
    There is a square dropped pad everywhere there is a foot on both the haas, and the Brother.
    Technically, it could be done on pipe. But, it would be a giant PITA and take forever.
    You'd have to be on the pipe to want to try it!