Login to Your Account
Page 265 of 268 FirstFirst ... 165215255263264265266267 ... LastLast
Results 5,281 to 5,300 of 5350

Thread: B&A Precision

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Harrington View Post
    You'd have to be on the pipe to want to try it!
    Tommy quit years ago Perry...............

2. Likes bryan_machine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    After Ox's post, I did a bunch of searching. And, it seems lots of guys share this opinion that the Hilmans are a PITA.
    Who knew! LOL. I can't wait to talk to my rigger again and see what the scoop is. As, that seems to be all they use.

The 12k/lb Strongway 4-roller skates were the ones I was looking at on Northern (seems you cant really link to them?)
    It appears they rate them for 12k individually. So, a set of three should hold 30k? Not sure if I am keen on the poly coated wheels?
    A VF3 weighs about 12k. Dreaming: an Okuma M560 goes about 16k (I think?). I don't ever see me stuffing anything heavier than that in here.

This: TEMCo Hydraulic Machine Toe Jack Lift 15 / 30 TON Track 5 YEAR Warranty 799491873582 | eBay was the toe-jack I was thinking of grabbing.

EDIT: HA, you beat me to it ripper. Posted the Temco link while I was typing, LOL

I am a cpl pages behind and not likely to get cought up tonight, so in reply to this:

I thought that I included more info, but I have been gone and on my tablet, so....

Anyway, I would prefer ones with big rollers. The Hillman's are "top heavy" (tall) and have small D rollers that just love to peel up the first layer of concrete (if a heavy load of course).

I drooled over the tank style design at first, but have become underwhelmed with them.

-------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

4. Likes CBlair liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you run across a set of the really big tank roller hilmans for a few hundred or less they are worth having and work pretty good up to 40K lb machines or so. The small hilmans suck. I don't know why anyone would own them.

Poly wheels suck. I've used big HTS skates with poly wheels and they were terrible with 35k on them. The poly was delaminating and took a lot of forklift action to roll.

If you buy a skate system that has two fixed and one steer skate keep in mind they are better for simple straight moves, but there are tricks they can't do that 3 individual skates can.

In tight areas three individual skates is a lot more maneuverable.

6. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Glad to hear you’re getting busy Bill! Your pallet setup with the 4th axis is sweet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One thing I have noticed with skates is a) they want to go in all directions on their own, and b) they want to slide from under the machine. Anyone tried welding a stud to the top of one and set the machine tie down hole on the stud? Won't keep it from turning but will from sliding out from under.

Tom

9. Likes Ox, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A piece of fairly hard rubber that won't cut through under the weight, between machine and skate seems to work good.

11. Likes Ox, Garwood, DrHook liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Get a set with nylon wheels They roll better as poly
    Swipe your floor And then once more
    On heavy machines I like to drag some timber along in case I loose a roller
    And I sometimes use a electric palletjack under the machine as a puller
    Put as much load as possible as near as possible to the powered wheel
    Works great
    And yes I agree completly Make it a one man operation

Peter

13. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TDegenhart View Post
    One thing I have noticed with skates is a) they want to go in all directions on their own, and b) they want to slide from under the machine. Anyone tried welding a stud to the top of one and set the machine tie down hole on the stud? Won't keep it from turning but will from sliding out from under.

Tom
    I have a set of skates that came with homemade adapters to do just that. I don't know what they were doing, but I never used them. On lighter machines (under 10k or so) I use cut up stall mat rubber. For everything else I use 3/8" thick hard conveyor belt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do the swivels on these have bearings under them?
    My aforementioned poly wheeled ones are the 2 axle version of that, and they do have bearings under the swivel, so I would say it's highly likely the 3 axle ones do too.

16. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SND View Post
    A piece of fairly hard rubber that won't cut through under the weight, between machine and skate seems to work good.
    My rigger used some thin 3/8" thick plywood squares between his rollers and my lathe. Said it gave the rollers some traction.

18. Likes wheelieking71, Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Philabuster View Post
    My rigger used some thin 3/8" thick plywood squares between his rollers and my lathe. Said it gave the rollers some traction.

When picking with a forktruck - it can be very beneficial sometimes to toss some cardboard between the forks and the item.

Steel on steel is slippery, now add a bit of grease/oil....

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

20. Likes Philabuster, SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Philabuster View Post
    Yep..........He certainly did, LOL

20170605_123749-1-.jpg

22. Likes Philabuster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Did you end up just putting some new filter caps again in the PP or still looking at maybe going to RPC?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SND View Post
    Did you end up just putting some new filter caps again in the PP or still looking at maybe going to RPC?
    Neither yet. Plan to order new filter caps next week.
    Been so busy since the 2nd, haven't had time to do anything except order material. And, find another rotab.
    I have 4-axis work coming out of my ears.
    Might even need to start thinking about parking another spindle in here. I'm going to get all I can out of what I already have.
    But, I need more shit running at the same time. Needless to say, I'm back on O/T! LOL

25. Likes RF, SND, Philabuster, solidworkscadman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Feast or Famine....

Make hay....

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

27. Likes bryan_machine, SND, DrHook, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To bad these are so expensive.20191223_123713.jpg20191223_122536-1-.jpg

Country
    NORWAY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=wheelieking71;3472385].....I have 4-axis work coming out of my ears.../QUOTE]

I don't know what size the 4-axis work is but some of it might go in a lathe (with Y and sub) if it's small enough. You're probably not keen on another investment after the problems with feeding the Brother, but if the parts are the right size it might be worth looking into (a used machine) at least.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Panza;3474534]
    .....I have 4-axis work coming out of my ears.../QUOTE]

I don't know what size the 4-axis work is but some of it might go in a lathe (with Y and sub) if it's small enough. You're probably not keen on another investment after the problems with feeding the Brother, but if the parts are the right size it might be worth looking into (a used machine) at least.
    I think about that all the time. Even lightly browse looking for such a beast.
    The problem is: I am not willing to deal with simply a live-toyed lathe. I would want a real milling spindle.
    Multi-taskers are HUGE bucks! I can't go there right now. Which sucks, because I do a ton of parts that would happen very nicely in one!
    I have never seen one with a bar-feeder feeding it.
    But, man, I can't help but feel a Multus or Integrix with bar-feeder would run circles around a 5-X with pallets!
    I imagine they probably give up a little in tool-change time? But, they could literally run 24/7 with very little operator input.
    Especially cutting Alu where tools can last almost indefinitely.

Truth be told, I actually think I am about to go in to full on "hypocrite mode" and buy another used haas
    Customers are not going to deal with the current lead-times for very long. I already picked up a second 4th. It should ship today.
    And, it is already looking like I am going to have to revert back to running the big-fat-haas as a pallet changer.
    That means I will need another spindle for the 2nd rotary. Of the two VF2's I already have, only one is 4th ready.
    And, I can't be without a VF2 with 4 vises in it anyways. Even if I could run a 4th in the other one.
    I am also not interested in constantly removing and installing a 4th anywhere. Of all the jobs/set-ups around here, that is the one I hate the most.
    It will also crush productivity. It is to damn time consuming. This is why I was so excited to mount a 4th on one of the big-fat haas pallets.
    I have already taken advantage of that get-up twice. So easy! (and quick). Ohh-well. Follow the money.
    I know where there is a very nice, low hour, VF2ss that is a very low risk purchase (low risk meaning, it will show up with no issues).

Looking like I am getting ready to push the limits of just how many spindles two guys can keep going, LOL. (one of which is a stupid fast hot-rod pallet changer)

Edit: I suppose there are live-toyed lathes with robust live tools? Nakamura is the first brand that pops in my head? But, I really know nothing.
    My only first-hand experience with live tooling is haas. And, well? Disappointing about covers it.

31. Likes Panza liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=wheelieking71;3474603]
    Quote Originally Posted by Panza View Post

I think about that all the time. Even lightly browse looking for such a beast.
    The problem is: I am not willing to deal with simply a live-toyed lathe. I would want a real milling spindle.
    Multi-taskers are HUGE bucks! I can't go there right now. Which sucks, because I do a ton of parts that would happen very nicely in one!
    I have never seen one with a bar-feeder feeding it.
    But, man, I can't help but feel a Multus or Integrix with bar-feeder would run circles around a 5-X with pallets!
    I imagine they probably give up a little in tool-change time? But, they could literally run 24/7 with very little operator input.
    Especially cutting Alu where tools can last almost indefinitely.

Truth be told, I actually think I am about to go in to full on "hypocrite mode" and buy another used haas
    Customers are not going to deal with the current lead-times for very long. I already picked up a second 4th. It should ship today.
    And, it is already looking like I am going to have to revert back to running the big-fat-haas as a pallet changer.
    That means I will need another spindle for the 2nd rotary. Of the two VF2's I already have, only one is 4th ready.
    And, I can't be without a VF2 with 4 vises in it anyways. Even if I could run a 4th in the other one.
    I am also not interested in constantly removing and installing a 4th anywhere. Of all the jobs/set-ups around here, that is the one I hate the most.
    It will also crush productivity. It is to damn time consuming. This is why I was so excited to mount a 4th on one of the big-fat haas pallets.
    I have already taken advantage of that get-up twice. So easy! (and quick). Ohh-well. Follow the money.
    I know where there is a very nice, low hour, VF2ss that is a very low risk purchase (low risk meaning, it will show up with no issues).

Looking like I am getting ready to push the limits of just how many spindles two guys can keep going, LOL. (one of which is a stupid fast hot-rod pallet changer)
    Does an Integrex have an option for a bar feeder? The one I spent a little time with had the tool magazine directly to the left of the main spindle. I am not thinking there was room for a bar to go completely through.. although maybe it is covered with sheet metal when not installed?

edit: also, for an integrex with a capto spindle, toolholder are expensive

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Mike1974;3474608]

Does an Integrex have an option for a bar feeder? The one I spent a little time with had the tool magazine directly to the left of the main spindle. I am not thinking there was room for a bar to go completely through.. although maybe it is covered with sheet metal when not installed?

edit: also, for an integrex with a capto spindle, toolholder are expensive
    I don't think the words cheap/expensive matter once you are shopping for an Integrex.
    I would need an entirely new CAM to step in that ball-game. Not happening.