Close
Login to Your Account
Page 267 of 271 FirstFirst ... 167217257265266267268269 ... LastLast
Results 5,321 to 5,340 of 5420

Thread: B&A Precision

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's hard any way you look at it, they're gone and you will have to wait a while to see them again.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    Neither yet. Plan to order new filter caps next week.
    Been so busy since the 2nd, haven't had time to do anything except order material. And, find another rotab.
    I have 4-axis work coming out of my ears.
    Might even need to start thinking about parking another spindle in here. I'm going to get all I can out of what I already have.
    But, I need more shit running at the same time. Needless to say, I'm back on O/T! LOL
    I wont claim to know the market, but 45k for a nearly new VF2 seems like a good deal? Just saw it on facebook and figured I'd post it here to see if it was up your alley.

haas.jpg

Wow. picture is really small. But basically looks like VF2 with 10 hours for 45K, in Milwaukee.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by teemfan93 View Post
    I wont claim to know the market, but 45k for a nearly new VF2 seems like a good deal? Just saw it on facebook and figured I'd post it here to see if it was up your alley.

haas.jpg

Wow. picture is really small. But basically looks like VF2 with 10 hours for 45K, in Milwaukee.
    That is just a VF2. I need an "SS" machine. 12k RPM is a must (15 would be better). Side-mount tool-changer is a must.
    1400IPM rapids minimum. HSM is mandatory. 4th axis ready is mandatory.
    I put a deposit down today on what was probably the nicest, lowest hour, VF2-ss available. From a seller I trust.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK - skewl me @ What does HSM "ready" mean?

-----------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Haas option for more read ahead etc.

6. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    OK - skewl me @ What does HSM "ready" mean?

-----------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Yea, like JP said, "look ahead". They basically charge you to take the control's "thinking" rev-limiter off.

8. Likes Ox, as9100d liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Haas is boring compared to other Japanese brands. But....so many new machinists learn Haas some how and it's as if they aren't willing to learn anything else or they mentally can't.

That's really the only reason why we buy Haas anymore. Talent pool here is weak. On the flipside, they are pretty darn fast to setup.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by as9100d View Post
    Haas is boring compared to other Japanese brands. But....so many new machinists learn Haas some how and it's as if they aren't willing to learn anything else or they mentally can't.

That's really the only reason why we buy Haas anymore. Talent pool here is weak. On the flipside, they are pretty darn fast to setup.

Yep, that they are. I can lock down 4 origins across 4 vises, without a probe, on a haas in about 2 minutes.
    I actually think it is faster to use a taster than a probe (setting origins, not tools). If not faster, real damn close.
    I'm getting better on the Brother. But, it is nowhere near as quick. And, never will be. To cumbersome.
    The last Okuma I ran (2005ish OSP) was about the same as the Brother.
    Haven't ran a Fanuc equipped mill in so long it is irrelevant. Haas had the work-flow dialed for sure!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Returning to the stale topic of a few posts ago -> In looking at multitask lathes (more Multus than Mazak) they always struck me as a lot of floor space for a quite cramped interior. You'd think getting rid of a turret would make space better but at least seemed to not always be so.

And I wonder if having blanks cut (don't you do that already wheelie?) and then stack them on trays and have a gantry loading a controller operated hydraulic vise might not make more sense for at least some operations? (Indeed, doesn't fanuc sell a robomill configured like this with the robot etc?)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bryan_machine View Post
    Returning to the stale topic of a few posts ago -> In looking at multitask lathes (more Multus than Mazak) they always struck me as a lot of floor space for a quite cramped interior. You'd think getting rid of a turret would make space better but at least seemed to not always be so.

And I wonder if having blanks cut (don't you do that already wheelie?) and then stack them on trays and have a gantry loading a controller operated hydraulic vise might not make more sense for at least some operations? (Indeed, doesn't fanuc sell a robomill configured like this with the robot etc?)
    You can add a fanucmate to pretty much anything. They are super fast and very accurate. I've been happy with the ones we have here.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry to hear about the pooch. Man's best friends indeed.

14. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

HAAS is the Small Block Chevy (LS now) of the CNC world. If you're a Ford guy, you tolerate it...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The integrex I worked with was pretty roomy on the inside I thought. The only thing I saw that *might* be a problem is when the B axis is inline (90deg?) with the spindles and I could see some clearance issues with long tools/parts combo. What was the dumbest thing to me was the tool eye was behind the main chuck. You had to stand on your head in order to make sure your cutting tip was lined up properly to get a good touch off.

17. Likes CBlair liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Been playing Tetris for a couple days trying to figure out how to make the layout in the shop a lot less annoying.
    And, how to park another spindle in here. It is getting tight to say the least, LOL.
    I also have to be mindful of how much work I create for myself. Because, I am super busy, and now is about the worst time to do this.
    But, ain't that about how it always goes?!
    So, here is what I am 95% sure is going to happen. For scale, this place is 38'6" x 42'6" inside:

new-layout.jpg

The jumble top left is not as bad as it looks. That is a pallet-rack, with the back-up compressor, and transformer on top.
    That will all stay. Leaving it there minimizes the work required to move the lathe and brother (they are both on the X-former).
    Nor will I have to rewire/plumb the back-up compressor. Then there are two 2x4 shelved carts on castors sitting under it (green rectangles).
    As well as the lathe conveyor/chip-barrel. The bottom of the shelf is plenty high to walk under. Here is a pic of that pallet-rack today:

img_1202.jpg

The other top corner, the coolant-station, fridge, table (brown rectangle), and top VF2ss all stay right where they are already at:

img_1203.jpg

The middle VF2ss will also stay fast right where it is already at. EVERYTHING else moves! LOL
    The other pallet rack drops down towards the 12' overhead door. The manual mill/lathe follow it, and sit under.
    The lowest shelf will NOT shroud the Excello's head again! LOL. The brown rectangles are work tables. The green are shelved carts.
    The one that says "tool cart" is just that, it has CAT40 tools on top, and BT30 on bottom.
    "Tool building" is that crazy work-station I build way back when. Gray circles are chip barrels. Pink circles are where a people might be working.
    I tried to leave at least 3 feet anywhere somebody needs to walk. More in heavy traffic areas.
    Running power to the big-fat-haas is really the biggest job required to pull this off. Moving the lathe/brother are easy (power-wise).
    And, I have the materials for them. I am going to have to buy a spool of THHN for the big-fat-haas. As well as 120ft of conduit.
    Air-drops to the machines are easy. Wiring the manuals can happen whenever, no rush.
    And, I am probably going to just have the rigger do this. It will save me days. Yee-Haw

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Many members post photos of machines up on walls, and sometimes on the ceiling. Perhaps you should adopt that technology? See "relativity" by Escher for inspiration...

/silly

Serious - if you turn a couple of the VF2s either face-to-face or back-to-back, does "reuse" of loading or electrical cabinet space gain you any breathing room?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Serious - if you turn a couple of the VF2s either face-to-face or back-to-back, does "reuse" of loading or electrical cabinet space gain you any breathing room?
    I've got 8 layouts saved (finalists if you will, LOL). And probably at least 50 more revisions to get to that point.
    And, lost about 20 hours of sleep over the last four days to land on this one.
    As much as a I wish there was a better way! It seems every time I shuffle stuff to gain a little like you say. It causes grief someplace else.

21. Likes bryan_machine, Philabuster liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It looks like a lot of walking to service each machine, how long are your normal cycle times? At least for the VF2s. My shop is 14'x19' so I don't have your problems, no matter what there isn't much walking.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On the pallet rack in your second picture, you have some Fiat transmissions. Convert the truck to a TH400 and you won't need any spares.

24. Likes moonlight machine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by machtek7 View Post
    On the pallet rack in your second picture, you have some Fiat transmissions. Convert the truck to a TH400 and you won't need any spares.
    Your funny. Those are not Fiat transmissions.
    TH400's suck. Tall 1st gear. The cases strip if you throw any real torque at them. No overdrive.
    And, they are a PITA to work on. I'm not a Chevy transmission fan.

26. Likes Garwood liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Odd to hear you say that - TH400s are pretty much indestructible if prepped properly (including an SFI case if needed), and there are tons of aftermarket gear sets for them. 2.10 is a really popular option to give a better 1/2 split. Hell, the new hotness right now are second gear leave and 2-speed TH400s.

Other than being heavy, they really don't have downsides that haven't been fixed by the aftermarket.

If you really want indestructible, go to a Lenco with a Bruno drive!

BTW great seeing the workload through the shop on Instagram!