Login to Your Account
Page 271 of 276 FirstFirst ... 171221261269270271272273 ... LastLast
Results 5,401 to 5,420 of 5515

Thread: B&A Precision

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    I have some seat time with 5.9's. I have grenaded headgaskets and driven 60+ miles on a hot day with no water at all in the block. Probably a million miles on these engines. I have never, not once seen a headgasket put oil in the radiator. You can safely bet on driving a cummins until it just won't go anymore from a failed headgasket and the worst you'll do is bake the rings a little bit (might burn a bit more oil after).

They blow between two cylinders or between a cylinder and the pushrod openings in the deck or every once in a great while one will blow external and leak on the passenger side of the block.

Does it idle rough?

I'd ask if it hazes at all wehn it's cold, but you probably don't have 40 degree temps down there do ya?

If it runs smoothly at idle and exhaust doesn't burn your eyes from 10 feet away I would bet money headgasket is fine.

If it's pink it's got to be the trans heat exchanger on the side of the block. I have never had a problem not running that cooler. Pulled a bunch of them off for clearance issues in swaps.
    Yep, we are on the same page! Although, I have never had a head-gasket let go. So, I wouldn't know what to look for.
    It runs perfect. I ruled the head-gasket out pretty much before I even got home that day.
    Until I saw the pink hue I was suspecting the coolant/engine-oil heat-exchanger behind the oil-filter housing. Or, one of the gaskets that sandwich said "cooler".
    I have not experienced diesel engine oil in the coolant. Talking with my dad, he said it turns black from the soot. Not milky like a gasoline engine.
    I put about 250 miles on it over the weekend I was flushing it. Never missed a beat. You would never know there is an issue unless you pull the rad-cap.
    As a matter of fact, I don't know how long there has been an issue! I probably hadn't removed that cap since I did the thermostat two years ago!
    I am 100% convinced it is tranny fluid. I just need to figure out how to flush it all out.
    But here is where I loose my train of though and tangent off in to WTF land: @ operating temp, there is probably what? 10lbs of pressure in the coolant?
    How much pressure is there in that heat-exchanger on the tranny fluid side? Theoretically, that line is a wide-open return to the pan. So, I would think the pressure would be pretty low? But, without tossing a gauge on there, I have no clue how much pressure is there. I do know, fluid dumps directly from the Torque-Converter to the cooler outlet. Line pressure varies all over the place depending on what circuits are engaged/disengaged and overlaps. But, being open ended I would think the pressure in the cooler lines is probably pretty low? So, WTF? Anyways, that thing is getting tossed in favor of a big fan-assist cooler mounted somewhere else!

This has turned in to quite the project actually. I was already in the process of a tranny build for it. As a matter of fact, I blew the core tranny apart the day before the heater hose split! LOL

_storage_emulated_0_dcim_camera_20191012_184306.jpg

And, I have amassed a sizable pile of other goodies for the engine while it is apart.

2. Likes Garwood liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There can't be much pressure on the ATF side. a regular hose clamp and low psi hose works fine. I've shake down driven a few rigs that I forgot to tighten the trans cooler hose clamps completely and just had a dribble from them. Very strange.

4. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    There can't be much pressure on the ATF side. a regular hose clamp and low psi hose works fine. I've shake down driven a few rigs that I forgot to tighten the trans cooler hose clamps completely and just had a dribble from them. Very strange.
    See, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is strange. But, it gets weirder:
    Not only should the pressure be pretty low. In park, or engine off, it should be zero!
    Where the cooling system will have pressure long after you kill the motor.
    Yet, zero coolant in transmission. I pulled the drain plug to be 100% sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You said when the hose blew you refilled with coolant from the shop you were at, what was that coolant? I have seen red glycol coolant, industrial as well as automotive.

Also when you drain the pink colored fluid from the radiator, is it oily?
    If you let it sit in a clear jar will oil float to the top?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    You said when the hose blew you refilled with coolant from the shop you were at, what was that coolant? I have seen red glycol coolant, industrial as well as automotive.

Also when you drain the pink colored fluid from the radiator, is it oily?
    If you let it sit in a clear jar will oil float to the top?
    Sorry, I should have been more clear. I filled straight water from his "coolant station".
    Machining coolant. He owns another machine-shop. I did not put coolant in. Just water.

Otherwise, yes, it is very oily. And, yes, it definitely floats to the top (and leaves clear water under).

8. Likes Rob F. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So, I have a bunch of conduit work coming up. And, I want to swap my high-bay lights to LED. And, a few other random up-high projects in the immediate future.
    After pricing a ladder that would get my fat-ass to the high-bays (holy crap! Ladders are expensive!) And, the thought of working off said ladder.
    I don't do ladders well. The combination of my massive fear of heights, my stump of a right leg, and my weight. I quickly ruled a new ladder out in favor of this:

img_1330.jpg

Bought the cheapest thing I could find that wasn't completely haggered.
    Not sure where I'm gonna keep it? But, it is nice to know how I am going to accomplish some stuff I had no clue how I was going to make happen.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Those things are awesome, so much better than a ladder, throw the lights, all the tools , a soda and a five gallon bucket to sit on and up you go!
    They do move around when fully raised(the platform, not the base), so if you are not fond of heights, play around a bit so you get comfortable that it’s not going to fall over(unless you do something really dumb it won’t!)
    Make sure your wife or the help knows how to lower it from the ground , just in case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good insurance.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ripperj View Post
    They do move around when fully raised(the platform, not the base), so if you are not fond of heights, play around a bit so you get comfortable that it’s not going to fall over(unless you do something really dumb it won’t!)
    Make sure your wife or the help knows how to lower it from the ground , just in case
    Ohh, I'm hip! I have logged more hours than I care to remember in one. Ralston Purina in Dunkirk, NY (dog-food plant).
    And, slew of other ice-cream/butter/cheese places in the tri-state area.
    I think I have mentioned before I did a few year stint as a process pipe guy. Man I hate heights!

I already ran this one up so I was looking at the high-bay ballast-case eye-level. I was very uncomfortable!
    But, like you said: don't be stupid. I'll get used to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dare I ask how much?

I prolly should entertain the option one day as a moving expense?
    (Provided I ever get moved?)

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Dare I ask how much?

I prolly should entertain the option one day as a moving expense?
    (Provided I ever get moved?)

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    I gave $2500 for it. It has new batteries (4 6volt Duracell deep-cycle), and new tires. The electrical has never been hacked in to. And, it functioned as it should.

I was looking at $800-1000 for a 20ft ladder. The PITA factor of moving a heavy ass 20ft ladder around. And, my time. This was easily justified.

15. Likes Philabuster, DavidScott, DrHook liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TDegenhart View Post
    Good insurance.

Tom
    That is exactly what I was thinking. I have a BIL that fell off a ladder from 16ft. Screwed him up pretty good.
    I figure I can take my sweet time with this buggy. And, still be time ahead vs. busting ass on a ladder. With much less risk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I gave up on very tall ladders (above say 8ft or so) after trying to manipulate a very tall one, and JUST missed taking out a sprinkler head (which would have flooded the shop and summoned the fire department and made huge costs and chaos...)

On my list for this year - the really nices ones with fresh batteries are more money (around here) than Wheelie paid - but given that it's always about a 1/2 grand to rent one, and that seems to happen multiple times per year every year, the thing will actually pay for itself in a reasonable time.

Just have to figure out where to store it....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Spend the bucks and get yourself a proper harness and lanyard for when you have that thing up. Might feel like a pain, but way better than trying to find out that you don't bounce very well.... BTW, don't buy used, as if a harness or lanyard has ever had a fall, it's supposed to be condemned.

19. Likes TDegenhart, bryan_machine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice! Scissor lift is one of those things you'll wonder how you ever lived without.

I rented one several times building my shop for $150 a day and the damn thing was always beeping and alarming out over nothing. The new ones the rental yards have are way too "safe" to be useful. I did the same thing you did and bought a 2008 JLG with new batteries for $2500. I've used the hell out of that thing. All my neighbors and family have used the hell out of it too.

When I first got mine I wasn't much for going up past 10 feet. Now I'll be up 20 feet standing on the top rail no problem. Kinda cured me of the heights thing.

One thing I will say is that kids go right through the side bars. Had a little guy flop right between two bars backwards. He landed safely and all was fine, but I stopped letting the kids use it as a jungle gym after that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, there's two opposing posts.

LOL!

-------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

22. Likes Garwood, Rick Finsta liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sweet, I just bought one myself 2 months ago. I have alot of maintenance things to do to my building that honestly just weren't going to get done if I had to use ladders. I saved up for it for a little while and searched very often until I found one I could afford/justify. It seems most around here were 4,000 plus, I gave 2,300 for mine and feel pretty good about it. It is bigger than I really wanted at 4x11ft platform, but it is nice when you have it full of stuff. I have already done more work with it than the previous 2 years on the ladder.

When I rearrange machines I'll just have to make more room in between than before, but that is OK. May push me to purge some more which wouldn't be too bad..

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thats one thing I need to add to the list of stuff to buy. More and more lately Ive found myself doing the electrical work here and could really use a scissor lift.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    West Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yea in addition to the improved safety the productivity for one person goes way up. Get a portaband, emt bender, emt, connectors, boxes, etc and it can all be up there at once.

On the other hand for those who count steps on their phone a ladder would have it's advantages!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Deal View Post
    Yea in addition to the improved safety the productivity for one person goes way up. Get a portaband, emt bender, emt, connectors, boxes, etc and it can all be up there at once.

On the other hand for those who count steps on their phone a ladder would have it's advantages!
    I thought the apprentice was supposed to take all the Fitbits and run around the shop all day?