Page 275 of 276 FirstFirst ... 175225265273274275276 LastLast
Results 5,481 to 5,500 of 5519

Thread: B&A Precision

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=as9100d;3503783]
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    I'm already concerned about power. Starting to consider replacing the BFH with another R650 because of power. [/QUOTE

Power company wont upgrade you?
    I'm residential. Already upgraded to 600amps of 240 1/ph. And, that was like asking for a miracle from Jeebus hisself.
    I'm not even going to consider going there again.

20170322_084251.jpg

Used to be in Gilbert you could add a second meter on properties 1 acre and larger. They squashed that about a year before I bought this place.
    Neighbor is grandfathered in with two meters. He has 600amps as well. 200 to the meter on his house. 400 to the meter on his shop.
    I had to have a meeting with the town of Gilbert. After many weeks of back and forth, they finally approved the upgrade to 600amps (400 is the "normal max").
    Because, I was already an established business in Gilbert. Been working under the same license for over two years.
    Could prove what I actually needed that much power for (they went to my old shop and inspected the equipment being used).
    Combine all that with the fact that the property was technically county-island (zoned kind of like agriculture). They let it fly.

Quote Originally Posted by as9100d View Post
    I bought a 4k sqft building recently to move all of the non aerospace and xometry work over. Didn't have 3 phase either.

The power company will do the 3 phase install with my paying the horizontal lines boring under the road for $5800 and a $3500 transformer differential to have a pad mount instead of above ground.
    Your getting off dirt-cheap! Just my half of the transformer was over $6k I am almost $50k in to my power before the Phase-Perfect.
    That stupid enclosure on the side of the building was $6k. It seemed like everything was $6k. The dirt-work was $6k.
    The Electrician was almost $30k.

2. Likes as9100d liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah it all comes down to where you hang your shingle...................

4. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This brings up and interesting question. What do you plan to do if you need more power and they won't give it to you. Just realize that this is as big as you will ever get or move?

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[email protected] 240V is way more power than he will ever need in that building/house.
    He just may need more convertor is all.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

7. Likes SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And I think more convertors is definitely better than 1 big one trying to feed it all.

9. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    [email protected] 240V is way more power than he will ever need in that building/house.
    He just may need more convertor is all.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Pretty much this ^^^^^

I've basically got 190amps (of 3/ph). I've seen bigger shops than me run on less.
    My only real concern is if all 4 haas spindles are ramping up to 12k all at the same time.
    I do 95% aluminum. And once in the cut, my load meters rarely see over 80%. And, I don't believe haas's 70amp rating on these things for one damn second.
    All mine are on 30amp fuses. And, I've never blown a fuse.

If I was running the lathe daily buried .200" deep in stainless? Yea, I would have problems. But, I just don't do that.

But, like Ox said. More converter. I'm still shopping around the idea of converting to a big rotary anyway.

11. Likes Garwood liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Out here one way to get a second electric meter is to get an electric car. Rule is it just has to have a DMV registration that says it is electric, any old car that was converted to electric in the 70's would work just as well a new one.
    Something to look at if you really want the second meter. This is poular with solar people that want to juggle usage between the different rates on the two services. I think here it is cheaper at night and higher in the day than normal service.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At my place here the Coop just charged $/ft to get the pixies to the building............they didn't care how much or how little amperage I needed or how many services/meters either...............................the county and township could care less too.

14. Likes DrHook, cnctoolcat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Like someone else said, it is very different depending on where you are. App 8-9 yrs ago when I was starting I had the power co give me a quote to run 3 phase 180 ft above ground. It would have been $10,500. I asked if they would take payments or work with me in any way and the gal said No, all of it up front before they even put in the work order. A few times back and forth and I got frustrated with her at this point and asked why and she said they have to get All the money up front because I wouldn't be in business in a year and they wouldn't get anything then. Just because that is true statistically, it is still hard to hear like that.

There also wasn't any paying for just half the transformer, I would have had to pay for everything related to the job, wire, pole, transformers, labor, fuel, enclosures, hardware, paper, printer ink, probably even the coffee the guys drank on the way there.

I ended up finding the place I have now with existing 3 phase. Happens to be with a different power co too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    Out here one way to get a second electric meter is to get an electric car. Rule is it just has to have a DMV registration that says it is electric, any old car that was converted to electric in the 70's would work just as well a new one.
    Something to look at if you really want the second meter. This is poular with solar people that want to juggle usage between the different rates on the two services. I think here it is cheaper at night and higher in the day than normal service.
    Yeah, I got a 2009 HAAS VF-2, she's a real screamer with a 12,000 RPM redline. She's also a real pig at 4 tons. She's an ex-works racer though...

17. Likes wheelieking71, bryan_machine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would really enjoy seeing you put a 75-100HP RPC together to get a real world side-by-side comparison between the PP's and an RPC.

I'm starting to get real busy and my power is becoming a problem. I'm approved for 150 KVA 3 phase of whatever flavor I want, but it's still going to hurt to get it all done. I can run several smaller CNC lathes and mills from my RPC simultaneously, but where I'm seeing problems is I'm starting to run presses and big old mechanical presses suck some serious pixies while they glide up to speed. Right now, 10HP air compressor, two 15HP CNC mills and a 5HP press brake simultaneously are about max for a 50HP RPC.

Also, I don't think it's talked about here much, but if you have a real shitload of single phase pixies and need lots of 3 phase these guys make a bulletproof solution- The 1-to-3 Power Source™ with Velvet Start™ | Single Phase Power Solutions

Their stuff is expensive, but I actually spoke with them and they're looking for opportunities for dealers, new markets, etc. You might get a smoking deal if you helped out their marketing.

19. Likes pianoman8t8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

RPC's are a great low initial cost solution, but long term (daily) use can trump the initial savings quickly when you start getting into big numbers.

I have a 60hp RPC that runs 24/7/350 or so, and I would guess that [at least] half of my bill is just keeping that thing spinning.
    To the tune of roughly $1000 / month. (for the RPC)

I don't think that P/P's have much static draw as a rule?

And BTW - a 60hp like mine (a good one) would be a plenty for Mr. King.

I have a hard time believing that he is running out of capacity anyhow.
    Don't'chew have twin 30's?

I wouldn't git too concerned until I started having machines drop out on ramp up, and honestly - at that point I would prolly just slightly edit the ramp parameters and drive on. He's out of space anyhow.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

21. Likes pianoman8t8, Garwood liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

RPC's are a great low initial cost solution, but long term (daily) use can trump the initial savings quickly when you start getting into big numbers.

I have a 60hp RPC that runs 24/7/350 or so, and I would guess that [at least] half of my bill is just keeping that thing spinning.

I wouldn't git too concerned until I started having machines drop out on ramp up, and honestly - at that point I would prolly just slightly edit the ramp parameters and drive on. He's out of space anyhow.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Phase Technologies says it is a 60hp unit. But, you are correct. It is basically two 30's in some kind of master/slave config (I think).
    What I need to do is clamp the single-ph side. That would give me a real world idea of where I am at power-wise.

I could squeeze one more in here if I had to. But, I would have to loose the manuals, and gut the area just inside the tall bay door. Which is jam-packed as of right now.
    So far that area has been my kind of, garage/fab area. I want to put an addition off the back to handle that duty. With a garage door that opens kitty-corner to the car-port.
    But, that project is a ways off. Right now that area is totally not in a functional condition. But, the stuff can't sit outside. And, I have nowhere else to put it.
    If the BFH left? I could get two more in here. That thing has a huge footprint. At least 400 horizontal sized.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    For that kind of money, why don't you measure the watt-hour consumption of the RPC? Rent or borrow from the power company a 3 phase watt-hour meter, connect to the output of your RPC. I assume you have a watt-hour meter on the single phase incoming wires. Subtract the reading from the 3 phase meter from the single phase meter and that is the draw of the RPC.

Another way is contact the mfr of the RPC and ask them for the draw of the unit you have.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

With what expected end result?

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

With what expected end result?

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    I honestly don't think it is costing you that much. By saying that it does might turn people away from rotaries. In any case, I trust that Kingsley will check out the numbers before he jumps.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You could be right as it is not actually monitored, but then I have seen 20 years of hydro bills, both the highs and the lows....

When a busy month is $2000 and a slow one is $1400 .....

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TDegenhart View Post

Another way is contact the mfr of the RPC and ask them for the draw of the unit you have.

Tom
    If I remember correctly, my 30hp unit idle power consumption was 400 watts. PP rates the units at 97% efficient at full output.

The single phase analog utility meter I installed before my PP barely spins when the unit is idling. The meter really gets moving when the big Mazak CNC Lathe is ramping up it's spindle. The meter spins backwards a bit when the lathe is decelerating from 1,200 RPM or above.

28. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TDegenhart View Post
    By saying that it does might turn people away from rotaries
    Tom

I believe that was my intended porpoise?

-----------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

.Nuf said.

Tom