Close
Login to Your Account
Page 281 of 284 FirstFirst ... 181231271279280281282283 ... LastLast
Results 5,601 to 5,620 of 5673

Thread: B&A Precision

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wheelieking, Are you sure about the link you posted, from the look of it I would say it might be suspicious.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That link didn't seem to werk yesterdee, but it seems fine now.

It's just water resistant grease.
    Not sure how that differs from what we use to grease linear rails and screws? (those should be a water resistant grease as well)

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've just caught up with this Bill.
    Awesome achievement.
    Kudos to you

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How's the new girl working now that it's been a few months?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post

It's just water resistant grease.
    Not sure how that differs from what we use to grease linear rails and screws? (those should be a water resistant grease as well)

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Exactly, that is all it is (I think, cant imagine there is anything special beyond the color and marketing?).
    I'm using that particular one because a friend of mine gave me a case of it. So, "use whatchew got!"
    I only specified it particularly because I know it works good.

6. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    I've just caught up with this Bill.
    Awesome achievement.
    Kudos to you
    The toilet is swirling.................

Quote Originally Posted by newtonsapple View Post
    How's the new girl working now that it's been a few months?
    I can't answer that. Although it was, and possibly may be again? Bad-ass.

And no, I'm not gonna elaborate.

8. Likes barbter liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    The toilet is swirling.................

I can't answer that. Although it was, and possibly may be again? Bad-ass.

And no, I'm not gonna elaborate.
    Bummer, the robots and machines are often the simple part of the job. It sounds like that aspect of it was going reasonably well at least. Good luck with things.

10. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

BelRay makes the best waterproof grease I've ever used, and not outrageously expensive for a Belray product.

16oz would last years if used for greasing bottom of vises

Bel-Ray Waterproof Grease - 16 oz | ChapMoto.com

I've got some that's 35 years old, still good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post
    BelRay makes the best waterproof grease I've ever used, and not outrageously expensive for a Belray product.

16oz would last years if used for greasing bottom of vises

Bel-Ray Waterproof Grease - 16 oz | ChapMoto.com

I've got some that's 35 years old, still good.
    There is a thread floating around somewhere (might have been Thumpertalk) where a lubrication science guy concluded that, that BelRay and Maxima's grease were the same exact grease.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

An update. And not a good one. Don't throw me a pitty-party! Not looking for one. In a twisted way, I'm kinda looking forward to the break
    But when I started this thread I committed to share good/bad/or otherwise. Well, here is some bad.
    My big production job has been shut down. Probably for good this time. It is what it is. It is completely out of our control. And it isn't gonna change any time soon.
    So, all the preaching that has been done in this thread, and others I have started, about not putting all your eggs in one basket, has come to be very relevant advice!
    Now, I knew this! I was well aware. And I (and only I) rolled the dice. This job has been very good to me and B&A. I have only ONE regret left in the balance.
    That regret would be buying the robot. But, even that regret is kinda questionable. Yea, I am taking a huge hit selling it to cut my losses and eliminate the debt.
    But, it was a fantastic learning experience (good and bad!). And a small part of me almost doesn't regret it. Regardless, it is going down the road.
    I spent almost a year paying for my first Brother purchase (the R650) with the other machines doing the short run stuff, the first time this job got shut down a couple years ago.
    While it (the R650) sat idle because it was very fixtured/tooled up for that specific job. When I did finally decide to un-fixture/tool, and start using it for the other stuff?
    The job started back up. But, while in limbo? It cost me a lot of money to keep it on the floor, not loose my ass in taxes, and save my credit.
    Pretty much killing any profits from the machines that were paid for. It was a very tough/tight time. All the while I had to keep a very valuable employee gainfully employed.
    And I did. He is still here, very happy, and makes a whole bunch more money now. So I have that to deal with as well (and I will, again).
    Well I am looking at the same situation probably 4 fold, right now! This time, the iron is leaving the building! I'm putting zero stock in "maybe" this time.

I don't even want to think about the amount of money I spent making sure I could cover demands last year!
    Remember, I had really been struggling to get any kind of decent reliable help in here the last two years. That was a big driving factor for doing and spending what I did.
    It made 100% sense on paper. My ROI on everything was less than 24 months! I would have been sitting pretty raking in the cash after that!
    Probably could have semi retired in 5 or 6 years! It was a beautiful plan! And it was working flawlessly. Except for that one wild card. The one I knew all about.
    And they tossed that fucker!

So, it looks like I am going to very dramatically scale back. I'm still digesting the situation. Still trying to decide exactly how I want to move forward.
    Even after I sell off all the major stuff contributing to the debt factor, I will still have lots of capability in the shop.
    I'm healthy (for the most part). My main guy is healthy. The iron that stays is paid for. Tooling is stocked to the 9's. I can quickly jump in to anything that comes my way.
    I need to stay grounded, let go of that job, and realize I'm still in a great situation a lot of guys would kill for.
    Not exactly easy to do when you take the rose colored glasses off, and everything is black & white again! But, that is what I need to do.
    I am going to have to brush up my work finding skills. I haven't had to chase work in years. It sporadically finds me. But, sporadically isn't gonna cut it right now.
    8 years in, I'm still here. I'm not "out of business" yet. But I'm definitely taking a few steps backwards. Re-evaluating. And, I'll just have to see what happens now?

Moral of the story? That "all your eggs in one basket" thing, yea about that...............

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Does having the robot and brother make it "easier" to get new jobs? Not saying to keep it but sell the shit out of the capabilities it offers until someone else buys it.... In a perfect scenario another job will come along soon that needs that capability. Hope so anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    Does having the robot and brother make it "easier" to get new jobs? Not saying to keep it but sell the shit out of the capabilities it offers until someone else buys it.... In a perfect scenario another job will come along soon that needs that capability. Hope so anyway.
    Honestly Rob, getting the kind of work that is a good fit for it, is very-very difficult. Especially when you are a back-yard outfit.
    You need to be talking 10's of thousands of one part#. It is not a simple process to bounce between jobs in that rig. Let alone a small investment.
    I'm not saying it isn't doable. It is! But, it would be a whole lot of work, even for somebody that knows the system like the back of his hand. (not me!)
    Don't think "FLEX" means it is easy, or QUICK! to run lots of different parts in it, swapping between them, quickly. It isn't!

16. Likes Rob F. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

'wheelieking71'....Tell you what, your adventures in machining, it's been a pretty wild story so far.

Can't wait for the next chapter to begin!

18. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sounds like you need to take a few days, go thru a few tanks on the dirtbike and clear your mind.

Drink a few beers.

BBQ some beef

Do some fun things with your wife

Not neccasarily in that order.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post
    Sounds like you need to take a few days, go thru a few tanks on the dirtbike and clear your mind.

Drink a few beers.

BBQ some beef

Do some fun things with your wife

Not necessarily in that order.
    Been working on all that already!
    Wife and I went camping with good friends once already. Planning more trips in the works. Been working on the trailer a lot actually.
    Been a bit now, but have been riding. Philabuster has taken up the hobby!
    Enjoyed some dirt with him and Joe (my main guy) not to long ago. We had a blast the few times we went out! More SOON hopefully!
    The beer never stops. Although, I am reeling it in. I may have a slight problem there! LOL
    As for the BBQ, I mostly eat what the wife tells me. Trust me, that is a good thing! She BBQ's a fair amount. Mostly chicken though (not my fav!)
    I bend the rules though, and do a fair amount of fish, game meat, and liver on my own. She likes none of that! I love it all.
    My mind is clear. I'm stressed the fuck out! But, my mind is clear.
    Like I said, I'm not in a bad position. It is just a drastic change very abruptly. I'll do my best to stay on the right path.
    Not sure I could have said that, or made this post a week or two ago. But I'm finding my sanity.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bill your inbox is full

22. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    Bill your inbox is full
    Cleared some room. I'll purge some more when I can spend more time.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bill, good luck. I hope you are able to recover quickly and put it behind you.

25. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There have been major tragedies multiple times in this thread... this will be another blip.

27. Likes standardparts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So I'll just point out that this helps show why all the people who complain that businesses are "too short sighted" are often full of it. It's not hard to imagine a world where the pay-off time was shorter, or the job lasted longer, and the same floor space with the same machinery was paid off and looking for work, instead of being a cash drain and looking for work. It's not for want of working hard at it on Wheelie's part, it's just reality.

29. Likes Kingbob, wheelieking71 liked this post